• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you get AC1 safely from 1938 to today?
4 4

68 posts in this topic

Study everything about the exact time period you are going to.  Then locate a rich person and say "The cubs will win tomorrow, 11-3. Gabby Hartnettt will fall on his face at second base.   I will be back.
Come back the next day and start talking money.   With enough money you can get an ID, stock up on action #1's, and get a deposit box for 100 years.  

Edited by kav

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Study everything about the exact time period you are going to.  Then locate a rich person and say "The cubs will win tomorrow, 11-3. Gabby Hartnettt will fall on his face at second base.   I will be back.
Come back the next day and start talking money.   With enough money you can get an ID, stock up on action #1's, and get a deposit box for 100 years.  

...and by removing those copies from circulation, you inadvertently keep Action 1s from the influential, core enthusiasts who would go on to establish the hobby. Your box of comics is worthless. 

Full disclosure: I don’t like time travel stories.

Edited by KirbyJack

11 minutes ago, kav said:

I like that except the safe deposit.  Can you prepay 100 years???

2 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

...and by removing those copies from circulation, you inadvertently keep Action 1s from the influential, core enthusiasts you would go on to establish the hobby. Your box of comics is worthless. 

Full disclosure: I don’t like time travel stories.

Time travel is possible but you cant change anything.  Its like rewinding a movie-you cannot make tom cruise do different stuff for example all you can do is rewatch the movie.

Just now, vheflin said:

I like that except the safe deposit.  Can you prepay 100 years???

good point.  Ok just hide in high school as I recommended.  

So here's a true story I could use to incorporate a time travel plot.

Our house was built in the 1890s. A lot of it is unchanged.we renovated the very back room to a large living family space area.during the process,within the walls we found many arcade and hubbley tin trucks,motorcycles and an airplane.we also found many liquior bottles.this was done during prohibition.

So to the point.i would go around to all the local newsstands.purchase 10 AC1s also get some paper bags.put all 10 in paper bags as safe as i could,maybe even make a cardboard backer.now here's where I can go with 2 scenarios. Either sneak into that back room which may or may not even be locked back then and drop my books behind the wall. Or I could also hide them under one of my front porches.yes there are 2 on my house.unchanged since probably the early 1900s.the area is dry and raised under them.

So yeah I have 10 nm copies of AC 1.

9 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Have you ever seen a bank turn down money?

Have you ever seen an instituion lose track of something especially over a long period of time?  
"Oh I guess the original records on that box were handwritten and we're digital now and oh that box was cleaned out decades ago but we can issue a refund-"

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Have you ever seen an instituion lose track of something especially over a long period of time?  
"Oh I guess the original records on that box were handwritten and we're digital now and oh that box was cleaned out decades ago but we can issue a refund-"

Simple back to the future 2 but not on a rainny day,simple,posting to yourself cost less than a bank,those lunatic will do it for a dollar easy

Banks may not turn down money but keeping their end of the bargain may pose an issue.

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Too much work.  I would just buy cocacola stock.

I wonder what would $1 worth of Coca Cola stock from 1938 would be worth today? Or if there's anything else from that year which you could buy for $1 which would net a similar or better return than AC1?

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Too much work.  I would just buy cocacola stock.

I would tell the broker to put in a BUY order for google as soon as that company existed!  :acclaim:

Just now, Kripsys99 said:

I wonder what would $1 worth of Coca Cola stock from 1938 would be worth today? Or if there's anything else from that year which you could buy for $1 which would net a similar or better return than AC1?

You could go to DC and buy the original cover-they were just gonna throw it out anyway so easy sale.

26 minutes ago, Bookery said:

In fact, this whole going back in time to buy a valuable comic has already been done.  But as you say, there were consequences.  Before this occurred, the most valuable comic book was not Action #1 at all, which was a little known book with a character who was cancelled after 5 issues.  No... the time traveler went back in time to secure what was indeed the world's rarest and most valuable comic.  But he got greedy.  He piled away box after box of the goodies, expecting to be rich beyond his wildest dreams.  But he also inadvertently altered the past.  Then he kept going back further and further trying to correct his mistake.  But the changes kept piling up.  It's a long story, but his machinations ended up making the Superman character a hit.  And the boxes of what had once been the world's rarest and most valuable comic, now made valueless due to his over stockpiling?  Major Inapak.  True story.

zs0r5.jpg

1 hour ago, cortown71 said:

So here's a true story I could use to incorporate a time travel plot.

Our house was built in the 1890s. A lot of it is unchanged.we renovated the very back room to a large living family space area.during the process,within the walls we found many arcade and hubbley tin trucks,motorcycles and an airplane.we also found many liquior bottles.this was done during prohibition.

So to the point.i would go around to all the local newsstands.purchase 10 AC1s also get some paper bags.put all 10 in paper bags as safe as i could,maybe even make a cardboard backer.now here's where I can go with 2 scenarios. Either sneak into that back room which may or may not even be locked back then and drop my books behind the wall. Or I could also hide them under one of my front porches.yes there are 2 on my house.unchanged since probably the early 1900s.the area is dry and raised under them.

So yeah I have 10 nm copies of AC 1.

This actually happened:

'Action Comics' #1 found in wall of house sells for $175,000 (cbr.com)

Visit a family member from the era and have them stash the books for me. My mom and uncles were born before 1938 so I’m pretty sure I could convince them with the right incentive 😉