• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you get AC1 safely from 1938 to today?
4 4

68 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

I think these kind of stories are usually BS. Just like the copy of Detective 27 that Todd McDevitt purchased from a gentleman who claimed he found the book in his attic. Turns out the seller was likely Danny Cupcake, pulling yet  another sleazy scheme.

39 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Visit a family member from the era and have them stash the books for me. My mom and uncles were born before 1938 so I’m pretty sure I could convince them with the right incentive 😉

What incentive would you offer? You are a stranger who appears out of nowhere claiming to be their future relative who seems to know a little bit about their family (names, dates etc.) asking them to very carefully store a bunch of, at the time, throw-away items for the rest of their life. Imagine someone showing up to your house saying "Hey, I'm your grandchild from 80 years in the future and I want you to store some of these cans of White Claw Mango drinks because believe it or not, in 80 years these will be worth their weight in gold!"

Edited by jcjames

47 minutes ago, jcjames said:

What incentive would you offer? You are a stranger who appears out of nowhere claiming to be their future relative who seems to know a little bit about their family (names, dates etc.) asking them to very carefully store a bunch of, at the time, throw-away items for the rest of their life. Imagine someone showing up to your house saying "Hey, I'm your grandchild from 80 years in the future and I want you to store some of these cans of White Claw Mango drinks because believe it or not, in 80 years these will be worth their weight in gold!"

*Makes note to pick up a case of White Claw Mango drinks and stash it in the walls of his house*

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

They wouldn’t have to hold them for 80 years. They’d only have to hold them long enough for an older brother born in 54 (I’m no spring chicken either) to take them from there. He was the one that got me started collecting so he’d know to hold on to them. As for the “incentive”, I happen to know waaaay more than “just a little bit” about my family’s past...and it’s some pretty dark stuff. They’d be begging to keep them safe for me and the best part is, they wouldn’t even have to know exactly who I am just in case they get the idea to have me aborted. 

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

I think these kind of stories are usually BS. Just like the copy of Detective 27 that Todd McDevitt purchased from a gentleman who claimed he found the book in his attic. Turns out the seller was likely Danny Cupcake, pulling yet  another sleazy scheme.

The wall story was true.  The guy argued with I think it was his sister and they had a tug of war, ripping the back cover which immediately dropped the value by abt 70K.
He said in an interview I dont care!  I'll rip the book to shreds if they mess with me!

27 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

They wouldn’t have to hold them for 80 years. They’d only have to hold them long enough for an older brother born in 54 (I’m no spring chicken either) to take them from there. He was the one that got me started collecting so he’d know to hold on to them. As for the “incentive”, I happen to know waaaay more than “just a little bit” about my family’s past...and it’s some pretty dark stuff. They’d be begging to keep them safe for me and the best part is, they wouldn’t even have to know exactly who I am just in case they get the idea to have me aborted. 

Yikes!

Okay so in 1938 a stranger who says hes from the future tries blackmail a shady family with dark secrets into storing some comicbooks for maybe 35-some years until your as-of-yet unborn older brother becomes an adult and can take over  control of these books in the mid 1970's long after they have already become highly valuable enough for your other family members to maybe want to  start "spreading the wealth" before big bro comes of age.

And at what point in your life do you enter the picture to say "Hey that was me remember, so those books are mine"?

Or will you even remember having had will travel to the future in the past when you're an adult when you're a kid? 

Edited by jcjames

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:
28 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Yikes!

Okay so in 1938 a stranger who says hes from the future tries blackmail a shady family with dark secrets into storing some comicbooks for maybe 35-some years until your as-of-yet unborn older brother becomes an adult and can take over  control of these books in the mid 1970's long after they have already become highly valuable enough for your other family members to maybe want to  start "spreading the wealth" before big bro comes of age.

And at what point in your life do you enter the picture to say "Hey that was me remember, so those books are mine"?

Or will you even remember having had will travel to the past when you're an adult when you're a kid? 

Another point worth considering: going back and saying all this stuff will cause a ripple effect and you would probably never even be born.  The timing of a sperm reaching an egg is very precise.  A mere one second change in time or even skipping sexual relations that day and you would be toast.
I would stay far away from family.

1 minute ago, KPR Comics said:

I’d assassinate Hitler and Stalin

Just tell Hitler Stalin said somethin abt his mama then sit back and let em destroy one another.

7 minutes ago, vheflin said:

All you people wanting to hide comics in walls, don't forget about this guy ...

giphy.gif

yep do not coat books in peanut butter to protect em from the elements either.

25 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

I’d assassinate Hitler and Stalin

That's a LOT of preparation. Do you speak German (or Austrian) and Russian well enough enter their respective countries, somehow find them while they're still nobodies, kill the first one without getting caught and still be able to find and kill the second one? And what about Tojo?

Maybe go back earlier and take out Karl Marx or Engel (or both, easier since they were together often) to stop Communism before it even starts and save the Czar from revolution... but that may have made WWI even longer and ghastlier.   

And with only a dollar and the clothes you're wearing. 

Edited by jcjames

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

That's a LOT of preparation. Do you speak German (or Austrian) and Russian well enough enter their respective countries, somehow find them while they're still nobodies, kill the first one without getting caught and still be able to find and kill the second one? And what about Tojo?

Maybe go back earlier and take out Karl Marx or Engel (or both, easier since they were together often) to stop Communism before it even starts and save the Czar from revolution... but that may have made WWI even longer and ghastlier.   

And with only a dollar and the clothes you're wearing. 

I do. And they were hardly nobodies in 1938.

8 hours ago, Kripsys99 said:

You are magically transported back to 1938 for 24 hours with nothing but the clothes on your back and $1 in your pocket, for the express purpose of buying as many copies of Action Comics #1 as you can. However, you can't bring them back with you - you need to stash them someplace where they'll be safe, well preserved, and where no one else will find them from 1938 until today. How do you do it?

I give them to my grandfather.  I tell him that he needs to take good care of these things.  Protect them from bugs, moisture and extreme temperatures. Wrap them well and protect them from handling damage whenever moved. Ensure that the family is also aware of these important instructions.  Tell him that he will have a Grandson named Aaron and that he will include this stack of funny books in his Will for him.  Ask him to put faith in the possibility that this action will provide security for the family line for a long time.  Then cross my fingers that me traveling back in time did not affect the course of history enough to render an Action Comics #1 worthless in the future   :whatthe:

12 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

I do. And they were hardly nobodies in 1938.

Cool, you're quite the continental chap! I think though you'd have to get them much earlier than 1938. They were both VERY well protected by brutal forces in 1938, each already being dictators of their respective countries. No way you'd get them both. And if you only take out one of them, the other becomes that much stronger geopolitically. 

But I'm game for planning the ultimate "Mission Impossible" Hitler/Stalin double-assassination circa 1938. 

Step 1: Build a time-machine.

Edited by jcjames

6 hours ago, jcjames said:

Yikes!

Or will you even remember having had will travel to the future in the past when you're an adult when you're a kid? 

That sure is a lot of conclusions to jump to. I’d break down each one of them but I really don’t feel like opening Pandora’s box and writing a book tonight. :screwy:

6 hours ago, kav said:

Another point worth considering: going back and saying all this stuff will cause a ripple effect and you would probably never even be born.  The timing of a sperm reaching an egg is very precise.  A mere one second change in time or even skipping sexual relations that day and you would be toast.
I would stay far away from family.

Jeez, Louise! Didn’t anyone else listen to Tony explain why time travel doesn’t work the way it does in movies? :facepalm:

image.jpeg.c38983619e344313a73f90216e75d3c5.jpeg