• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XMen 94 grade request

9 posts in this topic

Inherited a well cared for copy of Xmen 94 that seemed to be in good condition to my untrained eye. Unfortunately, my wife recently pinched the spiine in the lower part of the comic and caused a dent/crease.  What grade might this book get without the crease?  And wiith the crease? And would a pressing be able to cure it?  Thanks!

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

Non color breaking creases can be resolved to varying degrees depending on the type of crease. As far as an estimated grade for the book here, it is best to take it out of the holder and provide several area specific photos of the front and back cover (corners, edges, staples, etc.).

I am honestly too scared to touch it.  It hasn't left its plastic holder since at least the 1980s, and I don't want to risk damaging it.  If everything else is assumed to be perfect within the book, what might the best case grade be given those white horizontal lines on the binding?  I'm trying to decide if it may be worthwhile to send in for screening and/or pressing and/or grading. I'm also trying to guestimate how expensive of an error it was to let my wife pinch the binding and cause that crease!

The crease can be pressed out, but not the color breaks on the spine. You should probably change the backing board anyway and put microchamber papers behind FC and BC at least. Its due to take it out and for that anyway. Also, the bag may not be mylar.  

Without more detail and back pics/scans its impossible to really grade. Assuming nothing wrong with back this could be anywhere from hmmm (thumb in wind) 8.0 to 9.0.  Color breaks on spine ding it done from higher IMO.