• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Moondog said:

I'm not going to steal Heritage's thunder, but I will say that I spoke to a close buddy today who told me that they will be selling a new pedigree collection of 5,000 high-grade GA books. 

What he was telling me was absolutely mind-blowing.

They're still out there! 

That's impressive if it came from an OO.  We all know that there are still troves of high grade comics residing in collections that could qualify as a pedigree, like BZ's 2,500 "WTG" books.  If this is a truly new OO discovery, that's pretty fun!

12 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Don't tell Mitch.

He said no more collections like that will ever surface.

It depends on what you call Original Owner... I was referring to a "Billy Wright" type collection, one that was purchased off the newsstand...There could be several OO SA collections still out there . If OO is referring to a original collector such as the "dentist"...there are hundreds of them. There is more and better material still not graded than is. If this is a new 5000 book collection "billy wright" style...and well then this will be the last one ever discovered for GA material in that quantity.

Edited by Mmehdy

5 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It depends on what you call Original Owner... I was referring to a "Billy Wright" type collection, one that was purchased off the newsstand...There could be several OO SA collections still out there . If OO is referring to a original collector such as the "dentist"...there are hundreds of them. There is more and better material still not graded than is. If this is a new 5000 book collection "billy wright" style...and well then this will be the last one ever discovered for GA material in that quantity.

Until the next one, for sure.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

If it ain't OO then it ain't pedigree!   :sumo:

Not true.  All it takes to get a pedigree is for a dealer to submit a group of books he attests came from one original owner.  The OO does not need to make the submission.  And the submission by the dealer or collectors who bought from the dealer can be years after the fact, after the comics have already entered the marketplace.  

Just thought about the craziness that would be those grading fees! Several different scenarios, but 5000 high grade golden age books. I mean even if you did every single one at standard tier, saving 20% with the auction house. So at $48 per book after the 20% off, that’s still $240K in grading fees 🤯. Keep in mind that’s just grading, you start pressing and obviously considerably more. And of course much higher if express or walkthrough, then looking at like $500K-$750K. Nice to have a huge auction house to front those costs 😁

11 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I suppose that I should have said, to avoid confusion, "If it ain't newsstand bought, it ain't pedigree."  Right now though current CGC labelling makes no distinction between newsstand bought and collector bought.

I don't know that I'm a big fan of seeing labels acknowledging collector accumulations.  I am a huge fan though of OO newsstand collections.

The labeling of a Nic Cage collection book is different than the labeling of, for example, a Cosmic Aeroplane.

But, a Billy Wright, which went straight from the OO to an auction house is not distinct from a Cosmic Aero or a Kansas City or any number of other "pedigrees" which filtered out to the market through a dealer or dealers.  

So here's my hypothetical:  A guy finds 2,500 high grade GA comics in a garbage can and takes them to a dealer.  The dealer puts them into his personal collection but keeps them segregated.  50 years later the dealer wants to bring them to market as a pedigree.  Works or not?

8 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The labeling of a Nic Cage collection book is different than the labeling of, for example, a Cosmic Aeroplane.

But, a Billy Wright, which went straight from the OO to an auction house is not distinct from a Cosmic Aero or a Kansas City or any number of other "pedigrees" which filtered out to the market through a dealer or dealers.  

So here's my hypothetical:  A guy finds 2,500 high grade GA comics in a garbage can and takes them to a dealer.  The dealer puts them into his personal collection but keeps them segregated.  50 years later the dealer wants to bring them to market as a pedigree.  Works or not?

Not a  pedigree in my opinion.  You have no way of knowing the original source of those books - were they bought second hand or off of the newsstands? 

The others you mentioned regardless of whether they went straight to auction or were purchased by a dealer CAN be traced back as OO newsstand purchased and therefore rightfully deserve the moniker "pedigree".  

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

not for me either,:Pedigree" has become diluted similar to "unrestored" over the years.