• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

What was the name of this particular pedigree and I assume you are not referring to the Indian Reservation by Gary Carter that is apparently nothing except an urban legend in the comic book collecting world.  hm

No idea what the indian reservation collection is.  I agree that there are no pedigrees sitting around that have already been slabbed.  I'm talking about unslabbed collections, like BZ's 2,500 book WTG (,matbe W.T. "Gilchrist") original owner collection that would be pedigrees if that status was sought.  

As I recollect it, and it appears the internet has been a bit scrubbed since the Pedigree books guys joined CGC, is that DA agreed to sell his All-Star 3 to Overstreet on the condition that Overstreet would let him run an ad in the OPG to get a suitable replacement.  A guy called him up saying he had a high grade All-Star 3.  Turns out he had more than that.  They have entered the black hole that is DA's collection.  That's my recollection.  Don't have time to confirm that it is correct right now.

New copies coming to market is good for that comics value... if there are only a handful, and they are locked up, the values can only be guessed ar. Sure there’s the danger tat too many copies come out, but that doesn’t affect prices as much as we used to think now while new collectors have come to snap them up.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, Moondog said:

I'm not going to steal Heritage's thunder, but I will say that I spoke to a close buddy today who told me that they will be selling a new pedigree collection of 5,000 high-grade GA books. 

What he was telling me was absolutely mind-blowing.

They're still out there! 

wow

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

"Northern Cal" - Here's what the pedigree book site had to say about the story of Anderson's find:

Northern Cal Pedigree

Northern Cal

Browse the scans

If one ever wonders how useful an Overstreet ad can be for finding new material, they only have to talk to David Anderson in Virginia. In 1990 Anderson agreed to buy Bob Overstreet's Mile High copy of All-Star #3, but only if he could also find a suitable replacement. This was not going to be an easy feat as high grade copies of #3 are quite rare.  To aid Dave in his quest, Bob offered him a free full page ad in the 1991 Overstreet Price Guide. Within a few months after publication, Dave received a letter from an elderly gentlemen on the West Coast, leading Dave to what he says was the best collection he had ever acquired first-hand up to that point...and for him that's saying a lot. The Northern Cal Collection is possibly the least known of all 45 Golden Age pedigrees, yet contains books that would rival most of them. And the All-Star #3 in the collection? It was so nice, Dave kept it for himself. The copy was eventually graded 9.4 by CGC.

That's definitely a very interesting and timely story considering that CC just finished auctioning off the only CGC 9.4 graded copy of All-Star 3:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900255

all3.2229_1.jpg

So, if this is correct, then I guess this must have been the Dave's former Northern Cal copy of All-Star 3 that was auctioned off on CC for $312K plus 15% BP (or for $358,800) during last Thursday's Kentucky Collection portion of the auction.  If so, I imagine Dave must have turfed both of the top graded copies of his All-Star 3 out from his personal collection long ago since this CGC 9.4 copy was slabbed back in August of 2001, while the CCC 9.6 graded copy of All-Star 3 was sold through HA back in October of 2002.  hm

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's definitely a very interesting and timely story considering that CC just finished auctioning off the only CGC 9.4 graded copy of All-Star 3:  (thumbsu

all3.2229_1.jpg

So, if this is correct, then I guess this must have been the Dave's former Northern Cal copy of All-Star 3 that was auctioned off on CC for $312K plus 15% BP (or for $358,800) during last Thursday's Kentucky Collection portion of the auction.  If so, I imagine Dave must have turfed both of the top graded copies of his All-Star 3 out from his personal collection long ago since this CGC 9.4 copy was slabbed back in August of 2001, while the CCC 9.6 graded copy of All-Star 3 was sold through HA back in October of 2002.  hm

Or he bought the All-Star 3 9.6 which was a Mile High.

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

"Northern Cal" - Here's what the pedigree book site had to say about the story of Anderson's find:

Northern Cal Pedigree

Clicked onto this link and it took me back to the earlier version of the Comic Book Pedigrees website where it had profiled "The 45 Greatest Golden Age Collections Ever Discovered".  Looks like the more updated version where it profiles the 60 CGC Pedigrees when it added in the Chinatown as its official 60th pedigree saw some significant changes from the original Top 45 list in terms of additions and some deletions when you do a comparison of the two lists:  hm

http://comicpedigrees.com/

From a quick perusal of the 2 lists, it looks like the Norther Cal Collection was dropped from the list of pedigrees with the latest update along with 8 others, namely Cape Cod, Henschel, Napa Valley, Selkirk, Sherwood, Toldedo, Van Buren, and Williamsport.  Interesting to note that the Chinatown pedigree had been included in both the original Top 45 list and the updated 60 CGC Pedigrees list.  (thumbsu

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

all3.2229_1.jpg

are we thinking this was a strong result ($312/$358.8)?

Edited by circumstances

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Or he bought the All-Star 3 9.6 which was a Mile High.

That the part of the write-up about the Northern Cal Collection which I found a bit confusing.  ???

From reading it, it sounded as though he was supposed to buy the Church copy of All-Star 3 from Bob, but only if he could find a suitable replacement copy.  I assume this meant the replacement copy was supposed to be for Bob, but then it was so nice that he decided to keep it for himself.  So, does that mean that he passed on Bob's Church copy in the end or did he end up with both copies and Bob ended up with neither in the end.  hm  (shrug)

6 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Not sure if it's a strong result in this crazed and crypto like FOMO marketplace of ours, or is that just limited to the more recent ages and not to GA?  hm (shrug)

Not sure if it's a strong result or not due to lack of sales for books like this in this type of grade, but definitely a record setting one by a long shot. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That the part of the write-up about the Northern Cal Collection which I found a bit confusing.  ???

From reading it, it sounded as though he was supposed to buy the Church copy of All-Star 3 from Bob, but only if he could find a suitable replacement copy.  I assume this meant the replacement copy was supposed to be for Bob, but then it was so nice that he decided to keep it for himself.  So, does that mean that he passed on Bob's Church copy in the end or did he end up with both copies and Bob ended up with neither in the end.  hm  (shrug)

The only way I can reconcile what Bedrock said with the Pedigree book is as follows:  DA was looking to buy the MH from Overstreet in 1990, and was supposed to get a good replacement for Overstreet. Instead, in 1991 he bought and kept the Northern Cal pedigree (which I think was dropped because it was not CGC recognized).  And if he gave Bob a book to buy the MH from him, it was a Hawkeye (which had surfaced six years earlier in the mid-80s). Under this reading, what got confused is what book went where and which were CGC'd.  Maybe the Hawkeye went to CGC and Overstreet, DA got the MH and its glue spot, and held on to the Northern Cal which is in his black hole of comics still.

At least that's how I reconcile the stories.  Otherwise, based on what Bedrock said, the pedigree book write-up is just complete B.S. that confuses Hawkeyes discovered in the mid-80s in Iowa with a made-up story about books surfacing in response to an ad in Overstreet in 1991 from Northern California.  I think it is probably not B.S.

Edited by sfcityduck

20 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Next highest AS 3 result is $126K for the MH 9.6 in 2002.  So its gone up about 284% in a lesser grade since the last major transaction.  Not bad considering its not a character first appearance (or even first superhero team-up).  Got more than a pure cover book like Suspense 3 has, and not many non-no. 1 and non-character first appearances superhero comics can top it (Action 7 would I assume and some other early DCs important for their covers), certainly none that I can think of from 1940.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, Moondog said:

I'm not going to steal Heritage's thunder, but I will say that I spoke to a close buddy today who told me that they will be selling a new pedigree collection of 5,000 high-grade GA books. 

What he was telling me was absolutely mind-blowing.

They're still out there! 

Maybe Mr @Ricksneatstuffcan come on and elighten us?:whistle: