• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if it's a strong result in this crazed and crypto like FOMO marketplace of ours, or is that just limited to the more recent ages and not to GA?  hm (shrug)

Not sure if it's a strong result or not due to lack of sales for books like this in this type of grade, but definitely a record setting one by a long shot. :applause:

$359 seemed to be a thick and meaty result to me.

Wonder if there was an "auction estimate" range posted in the listing (not sure if CC ever does that).

8 minutes ago, circumstances said:

$359 seemed to be a thick and meaty result to me.

Wonder if there was an "auction estimate" range posted in the listing (not sure if CC ever does that).

No, like all of the other major auction houses such as HA and CL, they do not go with auction estimates.  :gossip:

Any auction values that are listed for all of these auction websites comes directly from the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide due to their accuracy, relevancy, and general overall acceptance in the comic book marketplace.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No, like all of the other major auction houses such as HA and CL, they do not go with auction estimates.  :gossip:

Any auction values that are listed for all of these auction websites comes directly from the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide due to their accuracy, relevancy, and general overall acceptance in the comic book marketplace.  :devil:

And not at all that because using the OPG estimates, especially when the book tops out above the OPG range, makes the auction house look good.;)

21 hours ago, Moondog said:

If the books in this new collection only sell for an average of $1,000 each that's $5 million.  Unbelievable.  I can't wait to see exactly what's in there.  And all I heard was 9.6 and 9.8 on the first batch back.

I'm hearing the books are primarily from 1943-50.

12 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Cage was a Hollywood star who used his massive amounts of money to buy comics and no doubt had some love of the medium.  Berk was a lifetime collector, historian and hobbyist who love the medium to his core.  Berk > Cage

Oh soo close to being our next Superman 😍

39E76294-B6D3-411E-A66C-F5694121554C.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

22 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Thought this was interesting to read. CGC’s guidelines for a pedigree collection:

CGC Pedigree Status Criteria

The collection must be original owner.
This means that the books must have been bought off the newsstand as they came out. For example, a collector cannot buy a high-grade run of 1940s comics from various sources and expect it to be considered a pedigree. The original owner need not currently own the comics for the collection to be considered for pedigree status.

The collection must be of vintage material.
This means that a large collection consisting of comics from the 1970s to present cannot be considered a pedigree. In fact, until the sale of some key White Mountain books in a Sotheby’s auction in the early 1990s, Silver Age comics were not accepted as pedigree collections. Comic books from 1966 and after are relatively common in high grade compared to earlier issues. This occurred as a direct result of a tremendous explosion in the number of collectors in fandom in the mid-1960s. Collections that are primarily from 1966 and after must have average grades of at least 9.4 to be considered a pedigree.

The collection must consist of a considerable number of comics.
Most pedigree collections consist of at least 1,000 books and some number over 10,000 comics. The collections that consist of fewer books, such as the Allentown and Denver collections, must include extremely rare, important, and/or key material.

The collection must be high-grade.
Comics from the Silver Age in general would have to be 9.2 and higher, and a collection of exclusive Silver Age material must have an average grade of 9.4. Golden Age comics would have to be high-grade as well. For example, the Lost Valley collection consisted of many golden age books from before 1941 that were technically mid-grade, but were almost across the board the highest graded copy for that book. Page quality must be nice as well.

Many of the pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence in late 1999.

According to my contact, this new collection checks every box.

10 hours ago, vheflin said:

Well, it's nice to have this to look forward to.  Hope there's some backstory.

Auction in the Fall maybe? or late summer:gossip:

Again, I don't want to jump the gun, but the back story is heart-warming and the impetus for this collection to still exist today.

1 hour ago, Drgoldage said:

Another high grade  GA collection of 5000 books sounds great to me , if I was lucky enough to bid high enough to get 2 or 3 there would be another thousand  collectors just like me doing the same . The collection would vanish quickly with many not seeing the light of day for years to come . The market is big enough to handle such a group . Another comment just in reference to the “Indian ” find by Gary Carter that was referenced earlier is definitely not a urban legend . Gary may not remember but at one San Diego comic convention we started talking about the quality of the  Mile High collection and how other large collections might compare . He brought up his find , identified its location , discussed the particulars of how he found it , the sacrifices he made to acquire it, how he paid for it and to some extent what it contained . It was a great story and it made such a great impression on me that I remember his story well. I hope he shares the story some time .If he was pulling my leg than he is a masterful story teller . In any case ,I am looking forward to seeing this new Heritage collection !

Well certainly Gary talking about the collection is not an urban legend. And I'm sure the Japanese Investors/collectors are enjoying their DC collection as we speak, just waiting for the right moment to submit it to CGC.

7 hours ago, circumstances said:

$359K seemed to be a thick and meaty result to me.

I also think it was a very strong result for an AS3, especially as that book has struggled to sell for Overstreet (+/- 10%) over the last many years. The Billy Wright managed exactly guide just two years ago and that was for the 3rd highest graded copy. 
But as I look at the 9.4 copy, am I the only one who thinks it presents better than the Church copy?  (and being graded in 2001, might be a better than even chance it hasn't reached maximum potential yet)

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

But as I look at the 9.4 copy, am I the only one who thinks it presents better than the Church copy?  (and being graded in 2001, might be a better than even chance it hasn't reached maximum potential yet)

and no glue.

22 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I heard there were at least 100 MF 73s in those grades ...

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

I hope for the consignor's sake that's it's not 5000 copies of "Hello Pal".

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm hearing the books are primarily from 1943-50.

Well, from your latest little snippet here, I guess this puts Peter's dream of for the MF 73's out, but keeps your dream of "Hello Pal" in play.  (thumbsu

My own preference would be for 5,000 copies of either Suspense 3 or Phantom Lady 17 so that we can all have our own personal copy then. :banana:

Although I am sure your preference would be for Mystery Men 3 since you love the sheer beauty of this cover and I am sure you would like nothing more than to share this same joy and excitement of having one in this grade with all of your fellow board members and collectors.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine