• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Moondog said:
3 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm hearing the books are primarily from 1943-50.

Yes, it's my understanding that the highest graded books are from this period.

So, are you saying that there are possibly some books from earlier than 1943 in non-highest grade condition, and if so, by any chance would any them go back into the later 1930's time period?  :wishluck:

3 hours ago, Drgoldage said:

Gary may not remember but at one San Diego comic convention we started talking about the quality of the  Mile High collection and how other large collections might compare . He brought up his find , identified its location , discussed the particulars of how he found it , the sacrifices he made to acquire it, how he paid for it and to some extent what it contained . It was a great story and it made such a great impression on me that I remember his story well. I hope he shares the story some time .

Well, this Indian Reservation Collection was alluded to in Gerber's Photo Journal and also according to the following post from Sean, it would appear that the story about this pedigree worthy collection is indeed true:  :applause:

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Well certainly Gary talking about the collection is not an urban legend. And I'm sure the Japanese Investors/collectors are enjoying their DC collection as we speak, just waiting for the right moment to submit it to CGC.

Since it's apparently true and you remember the story well, how about YOU sharing the story here with all of us here, instead of waiting for Gary (who never posts here) to share his story which would appear very unlikely after all this time.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
On 4/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Question, does something like this devalue the golden age market as a whole? I mean suddenly sooo many high grade golden age books hitting the market. Chips away at the lack of supply a little you know.

No way does the introduction of a single copy of a book (even if a few thousand in total) devalue the market as a whole. In fact, it might have the opposite affect, raising awareness and prices as to compete with the increases in Silver and Bronze seen lately.

I would indeed tend to agree with your point here as you certainly need to have at least some sales in high grade in order to spike more interest into the GA marketplace.  Definitely hard to have prices moving upwards when copies of some GA books, let along high grade copies, only come into the marketplace once every few years, if you are lucky.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  zzz

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

I also think it was a very strong result for an AS3, especially as that book has struggled to sell for Overstreet (+/- 10%) over the last many years. The Billy Wright managed exactly guide just two years ago and that was for the 3rd highest graded copy. 

All I can say is that I wished I had been the winner of the Billy Wright copy of this book back in 2012 for $49,293.75 or for just slightly over condition guide at the time, and then be able to flip it back out for $200K in less than a week:  :whee:  :banana:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

No way does the introduction of a single copy of a book (even if a few thousand in total) devalue the market as a whole. In fact, it might have the opposite affect, raising awareness and prices as to compete with the increases in Silver and Bronze seen lately.

We saw that with the Berk collection. Sold quickly for great prices and the books disappeared into collections

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

We saw that with the Berk collection. Sold quickly for great prices and the books disappeared into collections

That's a good point. I guess books coming to market is more a positive influence on the market as a whole.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It's good thing no one posted the size, era or quality of the collection on the most widely read comic book site or it might be a problem keeping it secret. 

Yeah, but we don't know anything important - genres, issues, grades, and the backstory.  I, for one, can't wait!  This pedigree looks to be venturing into some late 40s early 50s territory that really interests me.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 4/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, lou_fine said:

With the exception of the aforementioned and recently anointed Chinatown Pedigree, I am not aware of any other pedigree where the owner/dealer got them all slabbed and subsequently pedigreed and have yet to bring them to market, even after all these long long years.  

Dave Anderson has one he picked up in California.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

A guy called him up saying he had a high grade All-Star 3.  Turns out he had more than that.  They have entered the black hole that is DA's collection.  That's my recollection.  Don't have time to confirm that it is correct right now.

That certainly does sound like Dave to me.  :bigsmile:

I remember talking to Dave back in 2006 or 2007 when he all of a sudden he inquired about the Chinatown collection and asked me to contact the owner on his behalf because he was interested in purchasing the entire collection lock, stock, and barrel.  He said that he was planning to keep the collection intact, but would be willing to let me have access to 2 or 3 of the books if I was able to help him to acquire the collection.  Knowing Pat the owner, I told Dave the chance of him acquiring even one quality book from the collection, let along the entire collection would be virtually zero.  This was the case even though Pat had given me permission to share the disc which had scans of the large majority of the collection to whomever I thought would be appropriate either for potential resale (that'll be the day lol) or most of all, to help him to initiate the pedigree status process.  (thumbsu

I remember sending the copy of the disc to Dave which certainly didn't dampened his intentions to purchase the entire collection after he saw them.  Being an old time collector though, like me, he definitely was not as interested after I mentioned that the overwhelming portion of the collection was currently in the process of being graded and that I could send him the list of the grades once the books had all been graded and slabbed.  I imagine the thought of some 800 odd slabbed books taking up all that storage space and yet not being able to fully enjoy them was a bit too harrowing for even him to think about.  lol

It didn't matter anyways because I already knew that Pat had zero interest in selling the collection and to this day, I don't believe he has sold any of the books from this Chinatown pedigree collection, save for the few raw odd funny animals or some of the later raw low demand books from the mid-50's that he had been more than willing and happy to sell right from the get go.  :applause:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that I wished I had been the winner of the Billy Wright copy of this book back in 2012 for $49,293.75 or for just slightly over condition guide at the time, and then be able to flip it back out for $200K in less than a week:  :whee:  :banana:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

I never considered mine to be an 8.5, but (to me) it's better than this copy.

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, but we don't know anything important - genres, issues, grades, and the backstory.  I, for one, can't wait!  This pedigree looks to be venturing into some late 40s early 50s territory that really interests me.

Exactly.  My posting is just stoking the fire.  The real juice will be the listing of the individual issues and the scans as they come back from CGC.  The backstory brings to mind brotherly love and respect.

1 minute ago, Moondog said:

Exactly.  My posting is just stoking the fire.  The real juice will be the listing of the individual issues and the scans as they come back from CGC.  The backstory brings to mind brotherly love and respect.

Mission accomplished !  The fire is about a 5 alarm

12 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Yes.  They go back to the late 30s but the early books are generally not high grade.  I understand there's a complete run of Caps and the later ones are tremendous.

As far as you know, any of the early Fox books like Mystery Men, Wonderworld, Science, etc. or later Centaurs, and if so, I imagine they would not be high grade because of the earlier time period?  hm  :wishluck:

On 4/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, sfcityduck said:

Or he bought the All-Star 3 9.6 which was a Mile High.

Looks like that must have been a fun couple of days back on July 18/19 of 2002 when all of those big books in Cage's collection got graded.  :cloud9:

From the CGC serial numbers, it would appear that a total of 14 of them was graded on those 2 days and pretty much all came right off the top of the charts in terms of Overstreet's Top 20 or so GA books.  Although we all knew about the HG copy of Action 1 which was stolen from Cage, I never realize that he also must have had a second a second copy that was slabbed as a CGC 4.5 graded copy.  :whatthe:

I also remember being at Metro for the first time way back in '94 when I met up with Kramer and Fishler was about to ship out the Church copies of Cap 1 and Adventure 40 and he asked me to take a look at both of them to see if I could spot what was wrong with them.  I pointed out the area where I thought there was a slight bit of work done and he confirmed that both books sadly had a touch of glue and a bit of color touch work done on them, but that the buyer still wanted them nonetheless because of the Church pedigree.  :frown:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine