• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The Promise Collection has dropped !

Okay, I'll bite...........................what's the rationale for this name here?  ???

With a name like that, it would only sound good if the entire had been Promise to me only and to nobody else.  lol   :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

40 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The Promise Collection has dropped !

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.54.53 PM.png

Wow. Just based on the first 20 books (the ones in the same submission lot as this All Select 3), this collection is going to be bonkers. 

"What's this stack of books?"

"Oh, that's just a big pile of top-pop grade L.B. Cole covers and some Timely keys..."

19 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Can a 9.8 really have a dust shadow?

I remember when Overstreet grading definitions listed any tanning on the cover as no better than VG! I can see maybe tweaking the grading standards to inflate certain classes of books to VF, but NM/M??  doh!

Beautiful book, don't get me wrong, but is this the part where we're supposed to ignore our eyes? 

I believe that's because CGC has been pretty much inconsistent when it comes to dust shadows. :ohnoez:

If I am remembering this correctly, when Borock was in charge they went pretty soft on dust shadows to the point that some collectors were complaining about the grade.  With Matt in charge, I believe they kind of put the hammer to the grade when it came to dust shadows to the point that collectors were probably complaining about the inconsistency here.  Of course, with their swings between loose and tight grading, it's almost like a yo-yo sometimes and might just depends on your luck.  (shrug)

Then again, I believe they've also gone all over the grading ladder when it comes to defects such as writing on the covers and dust shadows.  Sometimes, the books seems to get bludgeoned on the grades, and then they are seemingly ignored upoin resub and end up with a substantially higher grade.  When it comes to an official pedigree copy of a book though, I believe that the graders tend to get a bit intimidated by the pedigree as these books always seem to get the benefit of the doubt whereas regular non-pedigree don't seem to get to enjoy this same benefit. :frown:

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion as I am sure that others will wholeheartly disagree with me here.  hm

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe that's most likely because the name of this pedigree is "The Promise Collection".  :gossip:

I guess I’m ok with that as long as all the books are OO purchased. Can’t wait for the backstory...

43 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Can a 9.8 really have a dust shadow?

I remember when Overstreet grading definitions listed any tanning on the cover as no better than VG! I can see maybe tweaking the grading standards to inflate certain classes of books to VF, but NM/M??  doh!

Beautiful book, don't get me wrong, but is this the part where we're supposed to ignore our eyes? 

That’s been their practice from the beginning. See the Nova Scotia 9.4 with a “slight” dust shadow below...

B5EEAF6E-F613-4269-9CCB-A269FAD95980.thumb.jpeg.9bc899e612a12e2eb77256aa40ea9102.jpeg

That would bug the f@$!k out of me on a grade that high but your mileage may vary...

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Then again, I believe they've also gone all over the grading ladder when it comes to defects such as writing on the covers and dust shadows.  Sometimes, the books seems to get bludgeoned on the grades, and then they are seemingly ignored upoin resub and end up with a substantially higher grade. 

Case in point being this File Copy of Crackajack Funnies which was initially slabbed as a CGC 9.0 graded copy with the CGC Grader Notes specifying "Front Cover Writing" and "Top Back Cover Lite Shadow":  ???

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/a/830-91039.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Western, Crackajack Funnies #9 File Copy (Dell, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages....

From the Heritage archives, it looks like upon resub some years later with no visual evidence of pressing being done, it was regraded as a CGC 9.6 copy even though it still had the exact same 2 defects that was previously noted when it was still only a CGC 9.6 graded copy, as clearly seen in this link here:  :ohnoez:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crackajack-funnies-9-file-copy-dell-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7169-92033.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

No worries though, since this was just an interim pit stop as the 9.6 has now been removed from the census and the census count for CGC 9.8 has increased by one, even though I am quite sure the same two 9.0 noted defects must still be on the now CGC 9.8 graded copy of the book.  :devil:

Anyways, back to this beautiful Promise Collection although I certainly do wish there was more consistency to CGC's grading when it comes to how they view certain defects over an extended period of time.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Agreed, one will have to look even closer on the book, not going to buy the label. The books, for that matter, look amazing. Do they press them (all of them, some)? (I can't tell from the scan of the All Select #3.) Please don't ...

Edited by Pickie
wording

13 hours ago, lonallen said:

suspense.jpg

I get why Cole is on a pedestal - his covers "pop" like no others. His heavy brushwork, bold colors, reliance on negative space, and wonderful compositions left us with an amazing legacy of memorable and captivating images. 

That having been said, there are simultaneously awful examples of how not to draw on many of his famous covers. Take the above example - look closely at the girl's face: it's dreadful. The body works because it's a swipe, I'd wager. Rotate it 90 degrees CCW and you can easily imagine it in an Esquire. When he had to change her visage from cheesecake to terror, he fell somewhat short in its rendering. The detective in the background? He's cross-eyed for starters, and his eyes aren't even remotely on the same latitude on his face. 

I do think Cole got better as time went on, but without his swipe file, his draftsmanship is exposed. Like so many artists, I'm sure his art suffered with his workload. Still, compare and contrast these faces with the faces on the cover of the Bomber Comics 4 or either issue of the Saint that follow it in the thread. The faces depicted on the bowling pins on the Bomber cover are exaggerated caricatures, but the trio to the left are rendered efficiently and elegantly. So too for the issues of the Saint - quite stylized, especially in the case of number 20, but with good underpinnings. 

(In lieu of these considerations, I urge everybody not to bid on the above book...)  :whistle:

3 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Wow. Just based on the first 20 books (the ones in the same submission lot as this All Select 3), this collection is going to be bonkers. 

Yes indeed, as I just took a look at this first batch of 20 books and it would appear that out of the 20 books that have been loaded into Heritage so far, 15 of them are the single highest graded copies, another 3 are tied for highest graded copies, with the remaining 2 being the secon highest graded copies.  :cloud9:

This is definitely going to be a dream come true for the GA label chasers, although I will admit that from a strict visual presentation point of view, the white cover on the All-Select 3 kind of makes the dust shadow stand out more than it normally would on a non-white cover, especially for a CGC 9.8 graded copy.  Since the colors are so strong on the books from this pedigree, the books with the non-white color covers certainly appears a lot nicer from my point of view.  :luhv: