• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, the blob said:

gorgeous, but a 9.8 with a dust shadow?

Well, as I had alluded to in a couple of my previous posts above, given that CGC assigned a grade of 9.8 to this particular copy of All-Select 3, I don't think it would have qualified for one of those CVA or QES stickers.  hm

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, as I had alluded to in a couple of my previous posts above, given that CGC assigned a grade of 9.8 to this particular copy of All-Select 3, I don't think it would have qualified for one of those CVA or QES stickers.  hm

Now no one will buy it.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The Promise Collection has dropped !

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.54.53 PM.png

3 hours ago, the blob said:

gorgeous, but a 9.8 with a dust shadow?

Agreed.  While it’s an amazing book, a 9.8 has to be a mistake, no?

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

It's strange seeing some of these golden age books with those gasp-inducing numbers in the upper left corners after reading all those threads in General about submitting moderns and variants that might have an imperceptible spine tick - is this a 9.6 or a 9.8? People roll the dice and submit a batch of fifty books and are happy when, what, maybe five come back as 9.8's? No way those moderns that come back as inferior 9.6's aren't structurally superior to their golden-age equivalents! And by equivalent I mean books with matching numbers in the corner.

There shouldn't be separate standards for books from different eras. That's why you set standards, so that they can be applied even-handedly. 2c

Didn't I read somewhere that Heritage owns a stake in CGC or something to that effect? I could be misremembering it. hm 

Consistent grading is the biggest oxymoron in our hobby.

1 hour ago, CrocHntr said:

Agreed.  While it’s an amazing book, a 9.8 has to be a mistake, no?

I agree. Besides the dust shadow there are other defects which visually should keep it below that grade.  If we cover up the flip, what grade would it get? 8.5-9.0??