• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, CrocHntr said:
10 hours ago, the blob said:

gorgeous, but a 9.8 with a dust shadow?

Agreed.  While it’s an amazing book, a 9.8 has to be a mistake, no?

Well, if this copy of Suspense 8 with its visual corner spine defects comes in with a blowout grade of either CGC 9.8 or CGC 9.6, then there's definitely something off with the grading of this Promise Collection here:  hm  :taptaptap:

suspense.jpg

This one has a similar top corner, though probably mostly production, as well as some vertical bends/breaks along the spine. As always though, it's hard to guage things through scans, especially the massive Heritage blowups. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-33-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/p/7244-175012.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515#

3 hours ago, october said:
3 hours ago, buttock said:

I'm going to be the first to say it.  That's a terrible name.  God, it sounds like something you'd give to a collection of porcelain dolls.  

It a cringey name. Won't hold those books down though. 

Maybe it's supposed to make you think of the Hope Diamond or sommething of that magnitude.  (shrug)

Whatever, it's still sounds a lot better than the name they came up with for Ayman Hariri's so-called "Impossible Collection", although that one there at least was not an official CGC pedigree collection. :p

45 minutes ago, october said:

This one has a similar top corner, though probably mostly production, as well as some vertical bends/breaks along the spine. As always though, it's hard to guage things through scans, especially the massive Heritage blowups. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-33-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/p/7244-175012.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515#

Yes, although the top corner of the All-Star 33 definitely appears to be a bindery corner production related flaw, I am not so sure about the one on the Suspense 8, and in particular the small but rather noticeable one on the bottom corner.  (shrug)

Hard to tell from a scan though, as you would need to have the actual book in hand to tell for sure.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, although the top corner of the All-Star 33 definitely appears to be a bindery corner production related flaw, I am not so sure about the one on the Suspense 8, and in particular the small but rather noticeable one on the bottom corner.  (shrug)

Hard to tell from a scan though, as you would need to have the actual book in hand to tell for sure.  (thumbsu

All-Star #33 Close-ups.............

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.42.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.43.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.42.49 PM.png

On 4/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Question, does something like this devalue the golden age market as a whole? I mean suddenly sooo many high grade golden age books hitting the market. Chips away at the lack of supply a little you know.

Most definitely not, as a collection like this will tend to pump up the values in the entire GA market as investors, speculators, and possibly even some long time collectors will move in to acquire pieces of this collection.  Seems like the owner is probably right on top of the game and is bringing this collection to market right when there is a lot of wild and crazy money out there being spent on collectibles in general with prices eemingly spiralling out of control.  (thumbsu

At the same time, with the sheer volume of books in this collection, although the owner will certainly be set for life with this sale, I believe the collection will also be "cannibalizing" itself with the amount of dollars that's involved here.  Like the big big Jon Berk auction on CC afew years ago, I believe a lot of these books whenever they do come back to market might just be able to realize even higher prices going forward.  hm

10 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

All-Star #33 Close-ups.............

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.42.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.43.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 1.42.49 PM.png

Yikes.  Unless that corner ding/tear happened post-encapsulation, that's really has me questioning whether it was purposely mis-graded or if we've got some inexperienced graders looking at these.  Talk me off a limb here.  Is a 9.6 possible with that defect?

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely not, as a collection like this will tend to pump up the values in the entire GA market as investors, speculators, and possibly even some long time collectors will move in to acquire pieces of this collection.  Seems like the owner is probably right on top of the game and is bringing this collection to market right when there is a lot of wild and crazy money out there being spent on collectibles in general with prices eemingly spiralling out of control.  (thumbsu

At the same time, with the sheer volume of books in this collection, although the owner will certainly be set for life with this sale, I believe the collection will also be "cannibalizing" itself with the amount of dollars that's involved here.  Like the big big Jon Berk auction on CC afew years ago, I believe a lot of these books whenever they do come back to market might just be able to realize even higher prices going forward.  hm

I sold my GA collection years ago. Including a few Church copies. I may be coming back for this. 

I'm really looking forward to my printed catalog.

Edited by innocuous

11 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

Yikes.  Unless that corner ding/tear happened post-encapsulation, that's really has me questioning whether it was purposely mis-graded or if we've got some inexperienced graders looking at these.  Talk me off a limb here.  Is a 9.6 possible with that defect?

I strongly believe that what you are looking at is a bindery corner which is rather a common production flaw when it comes to the GA books, and hence since it is a result of the production process, is not really factored into the grading of the book.  :gossip:

If you are concerned about bindery corners, how about all of that much more horrid and egregious Marvel chipping that you tend to see on some of the early SA Marvel books.  :fear:

41 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

If CGC determined it to be production related, a bindery tear, then yes, it can be a GA  CGC 9.6.

Edited by Badger
No H needed