• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Sarcasm? 

No, look at the picture.  It's probably NCB bending from the book being folded at the spine, the difference in colon is most likely from Heritage's sun level lighting.  Technically every comic has a full length crease on the cover, it's just where it's folded over the staples.  Does that mean it's a defect?  

Just now, lou_fine said:

I had a PM with Masterchief the other night who's one of the acknowledged experts when it comes to these types of things.  (thumbsu

He said from the rounded spines and the visible pressable defects that's evident on these books here, it appears that the collection is fresh and hasn't been worked on as far as he could tell from the yet to be slabbed books.  Maybe our problem is that we are now just so conditioned to looking at pressed books that have already been maxizmized to their full potential that we can no longer recognized true "virgin" quality books anymore.  :(  :takeit:

The one thing that I will say is that it would appear that the graders do not seem to be taking these pressable defects into account for this collection of books because their consistency indicates they might have come from the printers like that.  Then again, if it was just you or me submitting the odd high grade book with these similar types of bends and such, I am 100% sure the CGC grading hammer would be bludgeoning down hard on us like there was no tomorrow.   :makepoint:  :makepoint:

For this collection of books though, not so much  and probably more like the CGC grading feather coming down in a soft and gentle fashion.  :devil:

That would be wonderful if it were the case, but that hasn't been my experience with CGC lately.  

I guess the good news is that if it is the case, we can just smash all of these up to 9.9s.  

1 hour ago, october said:

This one has a similar top corner, though probably mostly production, as well as some vertical bends/breaks along the spine. As always though, it's hard to guage things through scans, especially the massive Heritage blowups. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/all-star-comics-33-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1947-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/p/7244-175012.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515#

First 9.6 I can remember with rusty staples on the back cover too.  :banana: 

33 minutes ago, buttock said:
35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The one thing that I will say is that it would appear that the graders do not seem to be taking these pressable defects into account for this collection of books because their consistency indicates they might have come from the printers like that.  Then again, if it was just you or me submitting the odd high grade book with these similar types of bends and such, I am 100% sure the CGC grading hammer would be bludgeoning down hard on us like there was no tomorrow.   :makepoint:  :makepoint:

For this collection of books though, not so much  and probably more like the CGC grading feather coming down in a soft and gentle fashion.  :devil:

That would be wonderful if it were the case, but that hasn't been my experience with CGC lately.  

Are you saying that CGC is letting your books go through with clear pressable defects without factoring them into the grade like this collection here?  lol

If you read my post more carefully, I am saying that due to the consistency of these bends throughout all of the books, they are for some reason giving them a pass for this so-called "non-defect", but if it was you and me submitting the odd book here and there, it would clearly be seen as a big whackable defect and graded as such.  :(  :censored:

33 minutes ago, buttock said:

I guess the good news is that if it is the case, we can just smash all of these up to 9.9s. 

Not necessarily, becuase if books from this pedigree collection have been graded as if these bends were not there, then that means if you go smashed them flat, they would probably still be graded the exact same way because you have now given them a pancaked fully maximized book without the bends which they did not take into account when the book was first graded for this round here.  hm

Now, if I was a crafty and astute businessman with linked ownership in certain companies, I would certainly prefer these books to go through looking fresh off the printing press with easily fixable defect to entice today's buyers who's so much into this whole CPR game.  Just imagine it's always better t0 make money on the exact same book multiple times, as opposed to being dumb and making money on the book only once.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

44 minutes ago, buttock said:

No, look at the picture.  It's probably NCB bending from the book being folded at the spine, the difference in colon is most likely from Heritage's sun level lighting.  Technically every comic has a full length crease on the cover, it's just where it's folded over the staples.  Does that mean it's a defect?  

Danny boy $20 says it very much is a color breaking crease.  Also, the stain on the bc is no doubt a contact stain from an underlying book with a rusty bottom staple.  See it all the time, though not in a 9.6 case, that's fo sure.

It's the butterface of comics right there.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Danny boy $20 says it very much is a color breaking crease.  Also, the stain on the bc is no doubt a contact stain from an underlying book with a rusty bottom staple.  See it all the time, though not in a 9.6 case, that's fo sure.

It's the butterface of comics right there.

Instead of $20 I'll let you buy the Azul next time we're together.  If you're lucky we can trick Roy into paying.  

The one thing I will say about these scans is that HA needs to turn the lights down just a smidge.  If that's your butterface, then I'd love to hear who you think is a 9 or a 10.  

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

First 9.6 I can remember with rusty staples on the back cover too.  :banana: 

The staples are on the front cover and are fine.  What you saw was a stain from the rusty staple of the comic that was stored underneath All Star 33.

Edited by adamstrange

2 hours ago, buttock said:

Some of the bending on the spine is probably from manufacturing and thus would not be considered a "defect".

That looks completely due to manufacturing. 

During the printing process, the cover has to be folded in half and that does not always happen cleanly.  Sometimes you'll get a little crackling along the spine where the paper "broke" rather than bent smoothly.

Like buckling from the glue on giant comics, CGC isn't always consistent in their treatment when it comes to grading for this.

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

He said from the rounded spines and the visible pressable defects that's evident on these books here, it appears that the collection is fresh and hasn't been worked on as far as he could tell from the yet to be slabbed books.  

While possible, that's not the way I'd bet...

This collection is going to send the Golden Age on a truly NUCLEAR PATH with outside investors pouring into the field. As long as the market and Bitcoin keep flying, expect to see unthinkable prices.