• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, october said:

We should make a list of defects that are magically not defects on golden age comics.

You're too young and inexperienced to perceive these fine distinctions. :shy:

My advice to

1-Ha.com should  make separate auction for this collection, similar to the "the Billy Wright collection catalog". Put say 1500 books in there and try and break the world record for a comic book auction. I think they could do it.

2- GA comic book collectors: This collection is probably the last OO GA collection to hit the market and this is the time to buy in  because a lot of these books are gonna be gone to forever collections and the other ones that are left if they resurface will reward their owners with 50% and even greater returns down the road. There are gonna be some grade record copies or tied highest, possibly many in fact there will not be able be replaced at any price.

1- Take any dupes, low grade copies, restored, bad  paper quality, staple issues books and package them up and either consign to Ha for their weekly auction, get auction credit and trade up. Sell on E-bay asap, or another auction service.

2-Buy what you like, not the label...get the book you need. For example myself, there are several books I have been looking out for my the last 40+ years in great condition. I am gonna get my Favs. Good Luck.

1 hour ago, madgypsy1 said:

This collection is going to send the Golden Age on a truly NUCLEAR PATH with outside investors pouring into the field. As long as the market and Bitcoin keep flying, expect to see unthinkable prices.

I hope you're right! but GA has been left in the dust by Marvel SA-Modern and 80s indy books. 

Edited by SuperBird

I like the pedigree name, can't wait to learn the story behind it.  I think we've got enough last name and location pedigrees already....  

I also pray there are no books in this collection in my area of interest...I was trying to save money up for nothing in particular.  Oh well there goes that plan.

1 hour ago, szav said:

I like the pedigree name, can't wait to learn the story behind it.  I think we've got enough last name and location pedigrees already....  

I also pray there are no books in this collection in my area of interest...I was trying to save money up for nothing in particular.  Oh well there goes that plan.

a couple of Phantom Lady's...

31 minutes ago, october said:

Regardless, probably shouldn't be there on a 9.6.

I think this calls into question all grading of this "so-called" pedigree.  We need the FTC, SEC, and the ASPCA to investigate. 

Collectors should be warned to stay away from these books. rantrant

14 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

a couple of Phantom Lady's...

Seems like there should be some...gonna be too rich for my blood.

Having seen a few of these books now I am reminded never ever ever ever never never ever ever never  ever pay a premium for the vain satisfaction of owning the highest graded anything.  Because just like that like here's this collection.

I have sinned twice in this regard because I couldnt stop myself .., but really if anything nice somehow manages to stay in the low to mid four figures its possible I might sin just once or twice more before I call it quits.

I could totally see some determined whale or entity buy the whole collection, or at least a number of the runs.  Even if that doesnt happen I wonder how many people on these boards dumped silver age keys recently and have money to jump into GA now...this will probably be a bloodbath.

1 hour ago, october said:

Regardless, probably shouldn't be there on a 9.6.

Is there a reason why anyone should assume these books haven't been "maximized" already?  Not knocking on them, just seems like a realistic expectation these days.  

FWIW, those defects on the All Star 33 make more sense if the spine was originally folded differently.  But I could be completely wrong.  Hard to tell from a scan.  In any case, I pretty much assume every book in a slab has been worked on these days.  Doesn't seem to change the market's valuation.  2c

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

He said from the rounded spines and the visible pressable defects that's evident on these books here, it appears that the collection is fresh and hasn't been worked on as far as he could tell from the yet to be slabbed books.  

While possible, that's not the way I'd bet...

Well, let's hope not as it would certainly be nice to finally get some true fresh "virgin" books into this "maximized to the full potential" focused marketplace of ours.  :wishluck:  :cloud9:

To be totally fair though, he was looking at only the few raw copies that had been posted at the time like the Catman 28 and the Suspense 8, as none of the slabbed copies had been posted yet by tthat time.  He said that it would be interesting to wait and see what the slabbed copies of these books look like as that would give us a much better idea.  hm  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I have no chance at owning any of these sweet books, and I accept that. I'm just going to hope that once they sell, I'll have a shot at someone's undercopy.

(Well, OK. Maybe an undercopy... of an undercopy... of an undercopy.)

Emotion Reaction GIF
worst crying performance ever:foryou:

I’ll take under, under, under copies all day long.... 

Edited by Funnybooks