• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Moondog said:

When Ed was telling me about the collection you could feel the excitement in his voice.  I've known Ed since 1992.  He's seen everything - yet this time it was different when he was describing it to me.

The difference, I hope, is volume.  I'm happy to let folks battle over the "keys" and the trendy books.  I'll be seeking the books that are a bit more off the beaten path.  The kind the speculators, "key" pursuers, attention seekers, and trend followers are likely to overlook.  With 5,000 books (if true), I'm pretty sure more than a few will escape the clutches of the usual suspects.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

CCS work was probably done because it appears the cover was rotated a bit towards the back.  Staples have moved and there's less cover on the "after" picture.  CCS doesn't bother me one iota.    But, I've had some great GA books get 9.4 and 9.6 at Heritage, with equally rich colors and white pages, and they were superior than this because of the much nicer corners and staple areas.  Irrational exuberance may be at play a bit.

Before:

685312938_1619578382464blob(2).thumb.jpg.1409457d5840de3f50b78f51761d5d3d.jpg

After:

Catman28.jpg

These are still very pretty books.  I think it's probably just common sense that nobody (especially not Heritage) is leaving money on the table.  I think most people would rightfully expect that they did everything within market accepted parameters to get the highest prices for books.

I personally wish the contorting of books would stop as I prefer them not (except in certain extreme cases).  But as long as the market rewards it and the dollars are big enough, such things will be the norm.

5 hours ago, Moondog said:

When Ed was telling me about the collection you could feel the excitement in his voice.  I've known Ed since 1992.  He's seen everything - yet this time it was different when he was describing it to me.

Who discovered the collection? Or it was brought to light by the OO family? 

11 hours ago, october said:

The Catmans are highly suspect in particular. Money better spent on 1/1 superfractor patch auto basketball cards printed 8 hours ago.

The Catman 32 looks like it would be of better use in a fireplace, to be completely honest.  I'll bid on it, just so Heritage has something to give the poor consignor of that particular atrocity.

2 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

The Catman 32 looks like it would be of better use in a fireplace, to be completely honest.  I'll bid on it, just so Heritage has something to give the poor consignor of that particular atrocity.

You're probably allergic to cats.  I'll make the sacrifice. :foryou:

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Distributor marks have generally been considered a minor defect for GA comics going back decades.  They are the primary method for confirming many pedigrees and are often prized rather than reviled by high end GA collectors.

I love books that say “Larson” or a nicely placed “Tom Reilly” stamp on the back cover. 

7 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Distributor marks have generally been considered a minor defect for GA comics going back decades.  They are the primary method for confirming many pedigrees and are often prized rather than reviled by high end GA collectors.

RC grease pencil is occasionally revile-worthy. 

1 minute ago, october said:

RC grease pencil is occasionally revile-worthy. 

Just to be safe, you should probably stay away from any of those nasty distributor marks.  Why take chances. :baiting: