• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, october said:

Staying away is a forgone conclusion sadly. I need my kidneys.

Both?  I used to think that but then I was offered some really sweet Spokane horror books...

25 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

Don't 9.8 Church copies have dust shadows?  

Most Church copies have a very light dust shadow on the back cover and that's probably true of 9.8s.  I don't recall any Church 9.8s with noticeable front cover dust shadows but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Arrival dates/stamps.   That's how newstands did it back then.    Its not how comic shops do it now. 

I wonder how modern collectors would react if their LCS started putting date stamps on all of their books?

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

This is just silly, and that's without considering the influx of free money into the markets over the past year. Has Heritage ever had a 5,000 lot comic auction before? And that's without considering regular consignors. You act like they are new to this and will just dump them all next month.  I would not be surprised to see it take a full year to sell this collection with a mix of signature and weeklies.  The GA market will handle this collection just fine. 

Will be interesting to see if the average price will be $5000/book when all is said and done. For Every AA61 in 9.6 and Mask 1 in 8.5, there will also be a Magic Comics #93 and Calling All Boys #10.

I never suggested a 5000 comic book auction, a 1500 book one would probably break the world record comic auction price. HA is going to put the lesser books in the weekly auctions to promote them. They have 52 of those, plus 4 signature auctions. I would say if there are a real total of 5000 that we see 2500 a year, over two years. The impact on the GA comic book market is once in a lifetime. These books separate the men from the boys. As in every type of auction, there will be bargains, now that might not be apparent right away, but say 5 years from now you are all gonna say...I  should of bought more!

The GA comic book market is gonna overall is going to go up, more interest on this once in a lifetime event. Everyone better start looking out on those weekly auctions, as the first couple of weeks, I predict some books will slip thru the cracks, and look like great deals in just a couple of years.

11 hours ago, CrocHntr said:

Yeah, but a chip is a chip.  GA or modern, it sure makes the book fugly.  Why would the grade not represent what is obvious to the eye as a flaw (either manufactured or not)?  

Have you posted this concern of yours on the SA boards yet where all of the Marvel zombies hang out and asked them the same question in realtionship to Marvel chipping on the early Marvel books where the graders give the books a pass even though chipping goes down the entire page of the book.  :fear:  :sick:

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I think the real issue here is will the GA comic book market be able to handle this collection coming into the marketplace. With 5000 books with a average price of say $5000 each, it would suck out of the GA market air about $25 Million dollars, if higher average price book, then even more money. That will be the real issue here, will after say 70% of the books being sold into the GA market show some wear and tear.

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think everyone is over estimating how many deep pocket collectors that will be present. Most collectors will be priced out.

I believe the mistake both of you are making with respect to your thinking is that this colection will be brought up by the old long time comic book collectors of yore.  I think this second ever post from MadGypsy here is probably going to be closer to what's going to take place as a lot of the new money that's been venturing into this marketplace will probably have their FOMO eyeballs stretched to the limit for these once in a lifetime books:  hm

On 4/27/2021 at 2:27 PM, madgypsy1 said:

This collection is going to send the Golden Age on a truly NUCLEAR PATH with outside investors pouring into the field. As long as the market and Bitcoin keep flying, expect to see unthinkable prices.

After all, do you really think it's the old time comic book collectors that are taking GSXM 1 up from the $20K mark of last year and into the $40K's a month ago and then into the $60K's a couple weeks after that.  Similar path for TMNT 1 in CGC 9.6 grade (i.e. not even in CGC 9.8 grade) which went from the low $20K's if that last year, and into the mid $60K's last month, and now at $88K on its last sale a couple of weeks ago.  Is it really long time collectors like Mitch who all of a sudden decided to MANNUP and pay $44K for a copy of Transformers 1 last month.  No way in heck as this is big time money from new players with deep deep pockets entering into the market and not really having a full understanding of it yet, but more than willing to open their wallets wide.  :banana:

If there's one thing about people with money though, is that they definitely don't tend to be the dimmest bulb in the room, and tend to be pretty much on the ball and fast learners with whatever takes their fancy.  In this sense, I think they are going to be pretty quick at picking up the fact that it's probably a better move for them to be paying less money on CGC 9.6 or CGC 9.8 graded copies of much older and HTF GA books that are most likely the highest graded by  a long shot, as opposed to spending more money on highest graded copies of BA and CA books where there are hundreds of copies in equivalent highest grade and possibly several hundred more copies just one grade down that's knocking right on its doorstep.  Especially since this is pretty much like an once in a lifetime opportunity for some of these books in this kind of condition, as opposed to the BA and CA books which can't help themselves, but to show up in every single auction going forward.  hm  (thumbsu

I'd be surprised if more than 10% of auction results are actually real.  If you think the Trout, Giannes, Pokémon...common issue comics for $20k....SAs for $100k+.......is legit.......you ought to have your head examined.  The auction houses own most of the items.  They have rooms stacked to the ceilings with GA comics, pristine new comics, etc.

3 hours ago, ChillMan said:

They have rooms stacked to the ceilings with GA comics, pristine new comics, etc.

It's a new revenue stream: Charging $50/person to tour such rooms.  $150 for a picture inside there.  

18 hours ago, CrocHntr said:

Yeah, but a chip is a chip.  GA or modern, it sure makes the book fugly.  Why would the grade not represent what is obvious to the eye as a flaw (either manufactured or not)?  

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Have you posted this concern of yours on the SA boards yet where all of the Marvel zombies hang out and asked them the same question in realtionship to Marvel chipping on the early Marvel books where the graders give the books a pass even though chipping goes down the entire page of the book.  :fear:  :sick:

No thanks.  I believe I stirred the pot enough already.  I have plenty of marvel chip SA as well, and do consider that a flaw.  But why invite ridicule?  :flamed:

On 4/28/2021 at 8:09 AM, adamstrange said:

Catman28compare2.jpg

These books were beautiful to start with, and now they've apparently reached their "final resting place" thanks to CCS pressing combined with loose grading. doh!

Edited by drbanner

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

lf.jpg

lf (1).jpg

lf (2).jpg

lf (4).jpg

lf (5).jpg

lf (6).jpg

lf (7).jpg

lf (16).jpg

lf (15).jpg

lf (17).jpg