• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Have you posted this concern of yours on the SA boards yet where all of the Marvel zombies hang out and asked them the same question in realtionship to Marvel chipping on the early Marvel books where the graders give the books a pass even though chipping goes down the entire page of the book.  :fear:  :sick:

Not in my experience with CGC grading.

JIM90.jpg.96af1f7cfe94482ad2d52e309f939312.jpg

Great collection but not even close to the Church books! Quantity but the early keys in grade aren’t there. Just my opinion! It is nice to see that these OO collections are still out there. Where r u guys getting the info of books being released with pictures?

15 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Berk compiled an incredible 2nd-hand collection, but this looks like it's going to end up being the greatest original owner find since Chuck walked into Edgar Church's basement. Just amazing. :smile:

I would tend to think that on an individual book by book basis, these copies here will surpass the Church books, but not in terms of the collection as a whole simply because it's a quarter of the size of the Church and also doesn't go back far enough to have all of the major GA keys in the collection in grade.  hm   :cloud9:

The major difference being that Edgar's family sold them all off to Chuckles for full cover price just so that he could cart them away from the house.  doh!  :takeit:

No doubt the original owner here is a lot more on the ball and will end up getting top dollar for all of his books here.  :flipbait:

1 minute ago, linmoth said:

Great collection but not even close to the Church books! Quantity but the early keys in grade aren’t there. Just my opinion! It is nice to see that these OO collections are still out there. Where r u guys getting the info of books being released with pictures?

They are being gradually posted in Heritage's auction preview.

2 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Full run of Phantom Lady!

:whatthe:

Sure, but the 17 is only a 9.6.  :insane:

On 4/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, Mmehdy said:

My advice to

1- Take any dupes, low grade copies, restored, bad  paper quality, staple issues books and package them up and either consign to Ha for their weekly auction, get auction credit and trade up. Sell on E-bay asap, or another auction service.

I would tend to agree with @GreatCaesarsGhost in his post below that this just might not be the best time to be selling or putting books up for auction as serious buyers will be holding their money back hoping to catch one of these books if they hopefully fall throuigh the cracks since there are just so many of them here:  :wishluck: 

39 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That sound you heard just now?  That’s the sound of wallets snapping shut worldwide until Promise Collection auction 

Then again, that just might mean it's a good time to be a buyer as there'll be a lot less competition around for any books that you bid on.  hm  :takeit:

7 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Sure, but the 17 is only a 9.6.  :insane:

lolit is <dramatic music> single. highest. graded.

prediction: $163,798.41

Edited by vheflin
$ revised upwards

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hasn't been as much buzz since Berk collection was offered.

This will exceed that, if Heritage takes advantage of it. 

I think they are working on a significant marketing campaign, which is why we haven't seen anything from them yet.

Whether we want to debate the precise grades some of these books might have earned on one day or another... at the end of the day, this is a generationally remarkable collection. I really think some of these books are going to the moon in this auction; a lot of these issues just do not come up for sale often at any grade or price. And an unbelievable number of them have literally never been available in this condition.

15 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Full run of Phantom Lady!

:whatthe:

This, for example.

Slightly off-topic, but Phantom Lady's numbering is one of my all-time favorite peculiarities of the way GA publishing worked.

I think the Owners of the collection will do pretty well. I would guess it is a consignment deal with HA. No sellers premium and a percentage of the buyers fee! Times have surely changed in this what used to be a little hobby when the Western Penn collection sold for 7K and the Pacific Coast for $275k. Of course they were only Silver Age Collections. Now a couple of Copper or Modern books will sell for that much.

3 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hasn't been as much buzz since Berk collection was offered.

This will exceed that, if Heritage takes advantage of it. 

I think they are working on a significant marketing campaign, which is why we haven't seen anything from them yet.

Not even close since Berk's collection was offered all in one shot which clearly will not give you the top prices possible, as evident from subsequent sales of the Berk books where virtually all of them have gone for higher dollars.   From what I am hearing, Heritage will not be doing this all in one shot.  In addition, although Berk was an early collector, he was not an OO and still had to compiled his collection second hand like what most collectors have to do.  As such, the books are clearly not as HG, with some being restored as Jon was really more of a comic book historian and true collector when it came to his purchases.  :applause:

With the new money and new players entering into the comic book marketplace, no doubt Heritage will indeed do their best to market these books not only to the traditional comic book crowd, but also to the big money that's outside the hobby right now looking for places to put it.  My bet is that some of this new money will not be dipping their toes in and test the waters, but going right over to the deep end of the pool and plunge right in.  hm  (thumbsu

24 minutes ago, marmat said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe this collection has the higher ratio of NM/MT comics. So many 9.8

I wonder how the comics were stored to keep such condition

It's a little early.  We may be seeing some of the best and there's 4900 more to come.

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not even close since Berk's collection was offered all in one shot which clearly will not give you the top prices possible, as evident from subsequent sales of the Berk books where virtually all of them have gone for higher dollars.

Berk got record prices for many lesser condition books.  Where there were bargains were more in the upper end Church copies, of which there were fewer than 200.  Overall, he was, and should have been, very happy with the result.