• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, szav said:

If this is one continuous OO collection wonder what the story is as to why this book stands out as a beater... although I can’t see the picture that well on my phone to see what the defects are.  Seems odd.

we were told earlier that the collection has some books going back to the late 30s, but that generally the higher/highest grades are the later years.  Makes sense to me.

42 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Thanks. But what about books that are not pedigrees? Does writing on the cover then impact the grade in a negative way? It seems rather arbitrary.

Distributor codes and names are treated the same on pedigree & non-pedigree books.

44 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Personally, I'd rather have a 7.5 book with no writing than a 9.2 book with writing, but to each his own. 

As it is, there might be many copies of higher grade than the 7.5 making it much cheaper to buy than if the grading system penalized writing more heavily.  So, it's a win for you!

38 minutes ago, Sarg said:

I see they're still mis-crediting Phantom Lady 17's cover to Baker, even though it looks nothing like he ever drew. 

It's a relatively recent assertion and hasn't been universally accepted.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

I didn't realize that Cap 46 and 74 were the same price in the guide now.  So what brings more, 2nd highest graded 46, or the same grade (but highest by a longshot) 74?

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.

Good question. One is arguably  the penultimate WWII cover, and the other is the penultimate symbol of the decline of super heroes when the war ended. The 74 is a classic cover, but poor Cap has been reduced to a novelty act. the 46 shows Cap at the height of his power. So I’m thinking the second highest 46 beats the highest 74. :tonofbricks:

p.s. why does every 74 I’ve ever seen have that weird cut to it?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

I didn't realize that Cap 46 and 74 were the same price in the guide now.  So what brings more, 2nd highest graded 46, or the same grade (but highest by a longshot) 74?

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.

The 46 should bring more as it appears deserving of its grade.  The 74 should be a 6.5 or so due to the heinous miscut.

But, the 74 will win out as someone will pay a multiple for the $.03 label.

28 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Imagine how high this one would grade if the whole cover was actually present. :banana: 

24059719%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Heritage Promised a grade bump, and they got several on this one! doh!

13 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Heritage Promised a grade bump, and they got several on this one! doh!

That's pretty crazy to see a book with that much of the cover missing in an 8.0 slab.  

It certainly doesn't help much with the rumor that certain people get "special" service...  :eek:

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It's a relatively recent assertion and hasn't been universally accepted.

but its so clearly correct.   I remember reading the assertion that it was feldstein and right away it was like my brain said "OMG of course it is... how could this ever have been called a Baker cover.."

They should correct that.

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

but its so clearly correct.   I remember reading the assertion that it was feldstein and right away it was like my brain said "OMG of course it is... how could this ever have been called a Baker cover.."

They should correct that.

I can't find the source but I could swear I read that Feldstein during an interview once denied  having drawn any of PL 17.  That said I never thought it looked as much like Baker's work as some of the other issues.

And that said I'm super excited to see what Bakers are in this collection.  Not used to seeing any of his books in 9.6s or 9.8s... If this collection does stop in 1951 then we'll miss out on some of his more iconic work, but there could still be a lot in there that we never see in high grade.

Yeah I dunno.   I mean look at the Sunny and Junior covers and the PL17.. they fit.   Feldstein was drawing bolt ons before they even existed

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, szav said:

And that said I'm super excited to see what Bakers are in this collection.  Not used to seeing any of his books in 9.6s or 9.8s... If this collection does stop in 1951 then we'll miss out on some of his more iconic work, but there could still be a lot in there that we never see in high grade.

Oh right...  hmm.   It will be interesting to see for sure.   Incredible books so far.