• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

How about the Camp copies of Okajima with all of that writing or the Recil Macon as I have one of these books and it looks like he wrote his name in there at least a dozen times, including filling out the coupon.  Apparently, it is common and one of the trademarks of the Recil Macon pedigree books, but how does CGC handle all of this writing from a condition grading point of view?  ???

Excessive writing on the cover does get some level of downgrade beyond the usual.  The Marvel 1 Lloyd Jacquet "Pay Copy" is an example of a near mint copy receiving a 9.0 due to the writing.

Although I thought that I was getting ripped off at the time, it now definitely brings back pleasant memories of not only the Recil Macon that I picked up at the time, but also a couple other GA pedigrees as a result.  :)

Brought a Macon copy of what is now considered to be a key Timely book from the Dentist way back in the day for about VF condition guide.  When I went through the book upon receipt and saw the writing of his name throughout the book, I called Dave up and informed him that I would be returning the book to him.  Although he said it was not a problem, somehow I ended up with a Denver copy of another key Timely book since he gave me a huge discount on the book in light of my dissatisfaction with the Macon copy.  Upon receipt of the Denver copy, when I was going through the book and noticed the siamese pages, I called Dave up again and told him that I couldn't read the story in the book.  Same story, but this time I ended up with the Larson copy of a key early Fox book at a steal of a deal considering that he sold it to me for quite a bit less than the price which it was advertised for in the Metro catalogue a few months earlier.  :applause:

Although I was thinking of calling Dave up again on the Fox book because it had a very light but failed attempted erasure of the Larson numeric code, I decided against it since the book was absolutely minty fresh and perfect in every other way condition wise.  Besides, I figured my wallet wouldn't be able to take another hit if I gave him a call since it had already been lightened by quite a few thousand dollars for all 3 of these books already.  lol

Definitely turned out alright in the end since that Recil Macon book has gone up almost 25X in terms of Overstreet guide valuation, and better yet, the book seems to even sell consistently in the marketplace for a big premium to condition guide, even in restored condition.  Can't complain about the Denver and Larson books which I got as a result of all the Recil Macon writing, as their price trajectory is also closely behind in the same positive upwards direction.  :whee:  :banana:

9 hours ago, path4play said:

Okay read through the 26 pages and got caught up.  Exciting.

Aside from the new pedigree fever grade bump, this is been out two weeks, the labels are created and books are up on HA, so

1. where is the backstory?

2. are there any Police Comics in the collection so I can add them to mine?

Are you confident that your wallet can take the hit for any of the Police Comics that might eminate from this Promise Collection here?  hm

As per your post below, how did you make out in your quest for the Chinatown copies, or are you going to ditch them like yesterday's old lover and go after your fresh new love:  :luhv:  lol

On 8/29/2020 at 8:36 AM, path4play said:

Any Police Comics?

pray.gif.e2a6f8b9ebe3ce628a364e4196a8bdfc.gif

15 minutes ago, innocuous said:

Things seem to be changing. I know I saw a Flash 104 earlier this week. Now it's gone. (I wanted to compare it to the 1.5 that sold on Clink yesterday.)

Hmm...yeah. It's a 9.2 (shown on p. 11 in this thread).

Question is whether it was just pulled from this auction or already sold privately?

BTW - that 1.5 sold for *stupid* money. I don't get it.

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you confident that your wallet can take the hit for any of the Police Comics that might emanate from this Promise Collection here?  hm

:luhv:  lol

Hope you are saving up your Bitcoin to snipe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, Crowzilla said:

Cap 1 is only a 3.5?  This collection stinks.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, This item is currently being reviewed by our catalogers and photographers. A written description will be available along with high resolution images soon.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:57 PM, linmoth said:

Glad the early books aren’t that highly graded!

Too lazy to search for the scan again, but if I remember correctly, the copy of All-Select 1 from this Promise Collection was only a CGC 8.0 graded copy even though it's from the Fall of 1943.   :luhv:   :takeit:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, greatly appreciate you posting a link to this absolutely killer copy and truly stunning book with the deep bold dripping blood red cover colors:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #35 (DC, 1945) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Of course I am biased here since I have always love the books with the deep strong color strike and this copy definitely has it here in terms of the red, blue, and purples here.  The only other time I remember such a strong red cover was on a copy of Star Spangled 8 with the deep red sky, but ended up passing on the book as it was a Mark Wilson book and just figured that it couldn't be that blood red unless the book had gone through one of Mark's patented cleaning processes.  :p

As for the Eldon books, based upon what I have seen this appears to be an outlier condition wise as compared to the rest of the collection, but what an outlier it is in this particular case here.  :applause:

Which Eldon is this?  I their is more than one.

On 4/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, namisgr said:

The Gaines file copies certainly.  In my experience with Silver Age, not so much for the Random House archives/Dell file copies.

Can confirm re. Gold Key / Random House FCs.

For Magnus and Doctor Solar, at least, the FCs are nearly all 9.0-9.4.

Rather, the best pedigrees for those titles (for 9.6/9.8 books) are Pacific Coast, Twin Cities, White Mountain and Boston. 

30 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Which Eldon is this?  I their is more than one.

I'm still trying to get that straight.  As previous threads have explored, there were the following:

• Eldon Dedini (cartoonist for Playboy magazine), many of his books are signed "Dedini"
  • Eldon Hamann (1934-1987)
  • Eldon Tuffenstamer (who's cursive writing seems awful similar to the cursive signature copies).

My current thinking is that the majority of books that people call "Eldons" are from Tuffenstamer but I'm happy to be corrected.  

There's definitely more than one.

Edited by Randall Dowling

20 hours ago, Rip said:

Adamstrange is correct. There are numerous examples of 9.6 and 9.8 copies from non-pedigrees with writing on the front. In fact I can think of an example where there is small first name written on the front cover,

Here's a 9.6 I sold on Heritage, one of three census topping 9.6s, the only one with a well-placed date stamp:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Four Color #328 Donald Duck (Dell, 1951) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

One of the others:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Four Color #328 Donald Duck (Dell, 1951) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hmm...yeah. It's a 9.2 (shown on p. 11 in this thread).

Question is whether it was just pulled from this auction or already sold privately?

BTW - that 1.5 sold for *stupid* money. I don't get it.

No Flash 96, though every other book around that is listed. Wonder if some are getting plucked?

Also, what did the Flash 104 1.5 sell for?

Edited by BarristerBaker

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you confident that your wallet can take the hit for any of the Police Comics that might eminate from this Promise Collection here?  hm

As per your post below, how did you make out in your quest for the Chinatown copies, or are you going to ditch them like yesterday's old lover and go after your fresh new love:  :luhv:  lol

Chinatown was a strike out....:(