• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, cheetah said:

That doesn't portent well for a collection of brightly colored copies.

The variability of the FH inks is in the printing process, so I expect these books to vary just like the other pedigrees vary in color intensity.

Edited by adamstrange

22 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The variability of the FH inks is in the printing process, so I expect these books to vary just like the other pedigrees vary in color intensity.

I have always felt that CGC should down grade these a little bit. I know they consider it a “production error”. I have very often traded down FH books with a higher number for a lower number with better color. It is all about the color on these. Buy the book not the slab. 

28 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I thought the Church books were better than average on color and am hoping this one would show signs of an OO looking for good colors.

8 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I thought the Church books were better than average on color and am hoping this one would show signs of an OO looking for good colors.

Church copies preserved original colors as close as possible to what they  looked  like fresh on the newsstand.  Especially on early GA comics, it is easy to spot a Church book in a pile because they are so bright. 

That is not necessarily true with FH because of their printing problems.  Church was only able to pick from the few copies at his newsstand, which most likely all had the same color intensity.

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have always felt that CGC should down grade these a little bit. I know they consider it a “production error”. I have very often traded down FH books with a higher number for a lower number with better color. It is all about the color on these. Buy the book not the slab. 

In order to downgrade, you have to know what the book ideally looked like.  It's only now, after 20 years of submissions. that CGC could have an idea of what a particular FH issue should look like on the newsstand.  I say "could" because that's assuming they've kept scans along the way of the best colors.

1 hour ago, GACollectibles said:

The Promise Collection Pedigree got it's name from the Promise Margarine cases found stacked upon the comics, the weight and the margarine which had been liberally applied to the comics as well helped preserve their color gloss and freshness.  Heritage Auctions looks forward to spreading this collection for all to enjoy....."

Well, I just ran down to my local Superstore as fast as my little feet could take me and loaded up on the margarine before everybody else finds out about this new way to preserve the color gloss and freshness of your comic books.  :whee:

Did they say how many layers of margarine I should be applying to my books to get the optimal preservation effect on my books.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Did they say how many layers of margarine I should be applying to my books to get the optimal preservation effect on my books.

Recommended serving size application amount is 1 tbsp.

:news:

Conopco Inc. stock up .88% on CGC "Promise Collection" Pedigree News

(ok, it really is up .88% but maybe that would have happened without the pedigree announcement)

52 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

In order to downgrade, you have to know what the book ideally looked like.  It's only now, after 20 years of submissions. that CGC could have an idea of what a particular FH issue should look like on the newsstand.  I say "could" because that's assuming they've kept scans along the way of the best colors.

At this point if they don’t know, they should take off for “fading” like any other book...(shrug)

2 hours ago, vheflin said:

One Fight so far although a lowly 8.5 shabby beater

fight.thumb.jpg.cfa5decd3906ce762383f3530515ffa6.jpg

I had a 7.0 copy of that one that looked very similar. I happily down graded to a 5.0 with much better color. The greens and reds simply HAVE to pop on that book. 

The vast majority of pedigree stories don't really matter to me.  At their core, they boil down to X person saved X number of comics with an average condition of X for X years.  And for most of the pedigrees, we don't even know what the X's are.  Even when we do, for most its just boring info that is true for pretty much every comic on the market:

The Billy Wright backstory, for example, is pretty typical:  Billy Wright saved 340 comics purchased from 1936 to 1941 that remained neatly stacked in a basement closet until discovered by a family member and sold on Heritage.  It's the comics that were exciting!  Not the back story.  

So right now, I'm not sitting on pins and needles wanting to know the "backstory" on this collection.  The fact they chose to call it the "Promise" collection suggests that the info will be limited, probably not revealing the original owner's name, and therefore might be unverifiable.  Someone up thread speculated that this was a collection kept for a soldier who "promised" to come back from war.  Guess what?  We already got that story for the "Tom Reilly" or "San Francisco" pedigree, and it has never been verified.  Some of the tactics used to hype comics just don't move the needle for me.

Edited by sfcityduck