• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I just ran down to my local Superstore as fast as my little feet could take me and loaded up on the margarine before everybody else finds out about this new way to preserve the color gloss and freshness of your comic books.  :whee:

Did they say how many layers of margarine I should be applying to my books to get the optimal preservation effect on my books.  lol

Forget the comic books!  I'm going to lather margarine all over MYSELF and then see what happ...UH...never mind...this isn't coming out the way that I intended  :boo:

7 hours ago, cheetah said:

Personally, I'm still waiting to see if there are any Fiction House books in the mix.

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

:whistle::foryou:

Planets?  I sure hope so.  Not that I'll be able to afford them, but maybe some undercopies will come to market after.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

Lordy! That is the one I want. One of the most iconic and well known comic covers of all time. I love it so much that it is my screen saver every time I turn on my phone. 

I understand the appeal to some collectors because of the headlights, but that cover has never really done anything for me. I don't think it's by Baker; if it is, it's one of his most poorly-drawn covers. He could have produced better artwork in his sleep, which is why I'm certain it isn't his work.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Codes don’t bother me if they are small, light and unobtrusive. It was such a common practice back in the GA that many books had. Often, they add to or make a book more desiresble to identify pedigrees. Church, Ohio come to mind. Who finds the name Larson or Okajima a problem? 

Pressing, or “maximizing” pedigree books is just wrong to me. Isn’t the whole point of a pedigree owning a nice book from a one owner collection? Don’t we pay more for these because of their special untouched state? Once they have been “maximized” they just lose a little of that sparkle to me...

The books in this collection don’t look like they need any help. The raw ones I saw were jaw dropping. I think they would bring record prices just the way they were found. 

"Who finds the name Larson or Okajima a problem?" The writing wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I don't agree with the way the books were graded. I would have graded them much lower. In the case of the Okajima camp books, the writing adds to the charm, but that's a separate issue from the grade. Writing on the cover should reduce the grade, period. It might make sense for an Okajima camp book with a grade of 4.0 to be worth more than a non-pedigree book in 9.0 because of the historical significance of the former, but the grade on the camp book should still be 4.0. Damage is damage, whether it occurred in 1945 or 2015. (I also find the whole "Signature Series" concept absurd; to me, any book that has been signed on the cover is low grade—but assigning low grades to autographed books would hurt CGC's profits, so they call low-grade books high grade, and the sheeple go along with it en masse. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with collecting autographed books, but the grade should be no higher than if a comparable amount of random writing was on the cover.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

39 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Did the printer deliberately stiff Fiction House on magenta?  There are so many bile tone covers.:sick:

I guess magenta was the most costly ink.

These low-to-zero red/magenta FH books are weirdly frequent, such as you can call FH stuff frequent. I'm pretty sure FH did color control exactly the same way I deal with my printer. Magenta ink low? Eh. Magenta's a dumb color anyway, just keep printing.

Anyway, the books definitely look better when they actually used ALL the ink colors. So there's no need to even auction these yellowy-orangeish copies off. Just send them to me. (thumbsu