• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

With so much to choose from just find the book-books that move you,,,,,, use your heart as well as your eyes and I'm sure there is something there that would make you proud to put away in your collection,,,,,that's how I plan to pursue this particular collection. My 15 year old daughter will get the comic book bug eventually,,,,,,,, and it doesn't get much better than Golden Age art in my humble opinion,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Still there are some on this thread that are of the opinion that some of the books on offer are over graded for one reason or another.

48 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I always look at any grade closely and make my own opinion, but these books are gonna have special value above normal non-special collection books and that should make up the difference in any over/under grading.

Yes, especially since you can't truly grade a book just from a scan, as opposed to having the actual book in hand.  Still, always best to buy the book, as oppsed to buying the label like what a lot of the OCD FOMO driven buyers seem to do nowadays.  (thumbsu

Looks like they have the Miss Fury run up right now, and Miss Fury #2 has always been my favorite out of this short run due to its beautiful blend of colors:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miss-fury-2-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/p/7244-175085.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=93|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076122%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Surprised that they haven't had a higher graded copy after all this time, since this Promise Copy here is the highest graded copy at CGC 8.5.  Not sure what happened with that top staple area or the wear at the bottom of the spine, but I guess it is what it is, although I have certainly seen better presenting CGC 8.5 graded books from a strict visual point of view.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since you can't truly grade a book just from a scan, as opposed to having the actual book in hand.  Still, always best to buy the book, as oppsed to buying the label like what a lot of the OCD FOMO driven buyers seem to do nowadays.  (thumbsu

Looks like they have the Miss Fury run up right now, and Miss Fury #2 has always been my favorite out of this short run due to its beautiful blend of colors:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miss-fury-2-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/p/7244-175085.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=93|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076122%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Surprised that they haven't had a higher graded copy after all this time, since this Promise Copy here is the highest graded copy at CGC 8.5.  Not sure what happened with that top staple area or the wear at the bottom of the spine, but I guess it is what it is, although I have certainly seen better presenting CGC 8.5 graded books from a strict visual point of view.  hm  (shrug)

I certainly agree with you,,,,,, it is what it is. Some of my graded books are great examples of inconsistency,,,,,, which is why I have so many raw books,,,,,, I'm not looking to sell many books,,,,and I can still open them and go "OOOOOOOOH,,,,look at that" in front of my daughter,,,,Hah!

5 hours ago, szav said:

To me the majority of the value in the book is for its historical association with SOTI with its lurid citation and the fact that it’s one of only a handful of covers visually reprinted in SOTI itself.

It’s not Baker collectors exclusively buying it.

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

my count is 129 right now - 97 on a promise collection search and 32 not written up with descriptions yet - and they'll all be hitting the Thursday afternoon session?  they certainly won't be putting them into the weekend, so maybe Thursday and Friday.  Still, east coast work hours.  

So, anyone planning a trip to Dallas to see them first hand? Even if I'm not a winner, it may be fun to see the books in person and watch the bids come flying in.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Some of the books do look overgraded. This one looks like a 7.5. They're still very nice, books though.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Then that means Heritage will be firing shots across the bow of the other auction houses for a decade.

Anyone know how many individual lots were in the Berk auction which CC rolled out in 5 days? 

46 minutes ago, sagii said:

Anyone know how many individual lots were in the Berk auction which CC rolled out in 5 days? 

About 600 lots per night.

14 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

About 600 lots per night.

That's freaking amazing ,

But as many of us stated in hindsight unless it was Jon's wishes otherwise,  probably should have been spread out among to at least two auction

Edited by sagii

https://www.facebook.com/excitingcomics1

Here is a link to my 8.0 copy of Miss Fury 2  - I had it graded in November of 2003.

It was the sole highest graded copy for many years - and it still is one of the highest graded

copies.  My book has some issues like spine wear and soiling, but the Promise Copy has

issues too -  lower spine abrasion/split, staple pull/tear, and tiny tear in the window on the

front cover edge.

Miss Fury 2 is one of my favorite books of the Golden Age and I feel it is a tiny bit

under appreciated in the hobby. The cover is similar in mood, color, and tone to 

relatively more common books like Suspense 3 and Detective 31.  

Yep, that's right - relatively more common - check the census.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, lou_fine said:

I somehow doubt this is going to happen because you are thinking more from the old school collector's point of view before CCG came in with certification and their whole grading game.  

Especially since today's CGC generation of collectors have been conditioned to focus in on that big big number on the top left hand corner of the slab pretty much above all else.  In addition, I believe Heritage is going to try their best to market this once in a lifetime generational collection outside the regular comic book collecting crowd and try to pull in as much of the other FOMO driven collectibles money that seems to be flying around out there.  And guess what, these newbies with the deep pockets aren't going to know anything at all or care to learn about pressing, CPR, cleaning, stigmatization, overgrading, or what have you because the only thing they will focus in on is that big number and if it's the highest graded copy because that's easy for them to understand.  hm

Once in a lifetime generational collection?

the Archie’s that have been displayed so far are very nice. Sadly the collection apparently does not include a 13. I’m a little afraid that the (relatively) big bucks I’ve previously ponied up to buy the highest graded examples of Archie’s are not going to look like such a good idea in hindsight. 

1F9938FF-8258-4D59-AA6D-B06C17CE7FB0.png

Edited by ThothAmon

29 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

the Archie’s that have been displayed so far are very nice. Sadly the collection apparently does not include a 13. I’m a little afraid that the (relatively) big bucks I’ve previously ponied up to buy the highest graded examples of Archie’s are not going to look like such a good idea in hindsight. 

1F9938FF-8258-4D59-AA6D-B06C17CE7FB0.png

Yes, this Promise Collection will be a GPA game changer for sure, although I think you’ll be fine with Archies, and you will love them no less. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost