• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

the Archie’s that have been displayed so far are very nice. Sadly the collection apparently does not include a 13. I’m a little afraid that the (relatively) big bucks I’ve previously ponied up to buy the highest graded examples of Archie’s are not going to look like such a good idea in hindsight. 

1F9938FF-8258-4D59-AA6D-B06C17CE7FB0.png

HOW is that top left corner acceptable for a 9.6? Maaaybe the bottom left corner is ok for a 9.6... 

42 minutes ago, Jginsberg79 said:

Is there any way this isn't an absolute bloodbath in terms of new prices set? Seems like a lot of people are going to be spending a lot of money ;-)

with the spike in values/prices on SA and newer comics, I'm expecting the same. Maybe even some selloff of SA books to fund GA purchases

On 5/4/2021 at 1:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Writing on the cover should reduce the grade, period. It might make sense for an Okajima camp book with a grade of 4.0 to be worth more than a non-pedigree book in 9.0 because of the historical significance of the former, but the grade on the camp book should still be 4.0. Damage is damage, whether it occurred in 1945 or 2015. 

Agreed. Writing on the cover degrades the original printing just as much as chips, tears, and tape, even when it is a "pedigree" collection. I will never understand why graders pretend this is not the case; but I will happily take books they grade 5.0 with no writing over books graded 9.0 with writing. 

On 5/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

fight31.jpg

I guess CGC and others have never counted ink fading as a factor in a book's grade, which is somewhat surprising. The Fiction House books that are properly inked are FAR superior to the more common (?) faded ones, as the above example shows clearly. So this is another area where a book graded 5.0 could actually be superior to one graded 9.0. 

4 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Agreed. Writing on the cover degrades the original printing just as much as chips, tears, and tape, even when it is a "pedigree" collection. I will never understand why graders pretend this is not the case; but I will happily take books they grade 5.0 with no writing over books graded 9.0 with writing. 

to me, not all marks are created equal. 

Some giant grease pencil mark across the cover image is WAY less tolerable than a name or code written on the edge of the cover...

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

to me, not all marks are created equal. 

Some giant grease pencil mark across the cover image is WAY less tolerable than a name or code written on the edge of the cover...

agree

1 hour ago, Sarg said:

Writing and date stamps were a pet peeve of mine even with GA books. Originally collecting baseball cards when I was younger writing was a death knell for them. When I was buying GA Batman books when I was 20 I just could stand books with writing. 
I get with comics some shops would write on them before setting them out BUT not all did. Not to mention half the writing is stuff kids marking them.

10 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

When I bought this book, I located the guy whose name is written all over it, and asked WTF? He said he was a little kid at the time (70 years ago!) and was sick of loaning his comics to his friends and never getting them back

757DCD9E-5CA3-44A8-B8B2-3E4BDA9530BB.jpeg

C170227D-C3D1-4620-A3D7-BA17FC70896A.jpeg

:applause:Cool tidbit lol

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

with the spike in values/prices on SA and newer comics, I'm expecting the same. Maybe even some selloff of SA books to fund GA purchases

These ultra grade timely's are once is a lifetime, the SA books, which might cost more to replace..CAN BE REPLACED...certain books in this collection cannot unless you own a time machine..you are trading up from SA to GA to obtain non-replaceable material...it is a no brainer..this collections is a game changer on so many levels...

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

These ultra grade timely's are once is a lifetime, the SA books, which might cost more to replace..CAN BE REPLACED...certain books in this collection cannot unless you own a time machine..you are trading up from SA to GA to obtain non-replaceable material...it is a no brainer..this collections is a game changer on so many levels...

Is this a Promise?

Hugh Jackman Dance GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

In one of the collection of GA books I picked up," Dolores" started making custom library cards and taped a sleeve on the inside front cover of some of her books so others could check them out. I think she did that with about 3 or 4 of them.

That’s hilarious!

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since you can't truly grade a book just from a scan, as opposed to having the actual book in hand.  Still, always best to buy the book, as oppsed to buying the label like what a lot of the OCD FOMO driven buyers seem to do nowadays.  (thumbsu

Looks like they have the Miss Fury run up right now, and Miss Fury #2 has always been my favorite out of this short run due to its beautiful blend of colors:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miss-fury-2-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/p/7244-175085.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=93|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076122%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Surprised that they haven't had a higher graded copy after all this time, since this Promise Copy here is the highest graded copy at CGC 8.5.  Not sure what happened with that top staple area or the wear at the bottom of the spine, but I guess it is what it is, although I have certainly seen better presenting CGC 8.5 graded books from a strict visual point of view.  hm  (shrug)

That's always been a tough issue to find. However, I didn't realize that it only went that high until you mentioned it. I think I'll hug my 7.5.