• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Chuck had sold over 4,000 books by the time the catalog came out, it's not hard to imagine at all that someone besides Burrell picked up a small Timely run by one of the first female comic artists, and that the complete run guided for under $1000 total.

Especially since Timely's Ms. Fury is a newspaper strip reprint comic, right?

First book in the GA portion from CL's Focused Auction last Friday which is why my fading memory can still remember it:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dace%2Bcomics%2B65%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1477098&id=1477098&itemType=0

00717590880000113766066001.jpg

After seeing that beautiful Subby 11 above, I just can't for the life of me figure out how this book here managed to score such a high grade given all that wear around the bottom staple area and those fugly ticks running down the length of the spine and let's not even talk about those nasty corners on this book here.  :devil:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

First book in the GA portion from CL's Focused Auction last Friday which is why my fading memory can still remember it:

00717590880000113766066001.jpg

After seeing that beautiful Subby 11 above, I just can't for the life of me figure out how this book here managed to score such a high grade given all that wear around the bottom staple area and those fugly ticks running down the length of the spine and let's not even talk about those nasty corners on this book here.  :devil:  :takeit:

The bald spot on my head is getting larger from all the scratching I've done,,,,,,,,,,,,,sigh

On 5/4/2021 at 5:41 PM, sagii said:
On 5/4/2021 at 5:27 PM, adamstrange said:

About 600 lots per night.

That's freaking amazing ,

But as many of us stated in hindsight unless it was Jon's wishes otherwise,  probably should have been spread out among to at least two auction

As Jon had stated during not only the runup to the auction of his books, but also many times in the years prior to that, he was only a caretaker for the books within his collection and that he would be passing them onto the next generation of collectors to look after and care for the books.  (thumbsu

With Jon's absolute love for the books, their history, and the hobby place as a whole, I got the feeling it was never really all about the money for him and although putting them all up in one auction might have been the least painful method for him, it was probably also the best way to get the books into the hands of as many comic book collectors as possible.  :applause:

All I know is that a lot of books fell through the cracks, and as a result, even I along with a lot of other smaller time collectors were also able to pick up some super rare Centaurs and other truly HTF GA books without breaking the bank.  :whee: :banana:

I strongly doubt that this will happen with the Promise Collection though, since it appears the auction is gearing up to extract as much money from your pocket as possible, and hence not really meant for the smaller time collector on a budget.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As Jon had stated during not only the runup to the auction of his books, but also many times in the years prior to that, he was only a caretaker for the books within his collection and that he would be passing them onto the next generation of collectors to look after and care for the books.  (thumbsu

With Jon's absolute love for the books, their history, and the hobby place as a whole, I got the feeling it was never really all about the money for him and although putting them all up in one auction might have been the least painful method for him, it was probably also the best way to get the books into the hands of as many comic book collectors as possible.  :applause:

All I know is that a lot of books fell through the cracks, and as a result, even I along with a lot of other smaller time collectors were also able to pick up some super rare Centaurs and other truly HTF GA books without breaking the bank.  :whee: :banana:

I strongly doubt that this will happen with the Promise Collection though, since it appears the auction is gearing up to extract as much money from your pocket as possible, and hence not really meant for the smaller time collector on a budget.  :(

I'm of the mind a few will skip through the cracks. They have to

While uber high grade and a pedigree, even the Church collection has it's 'meh' books: non classic cover, artist, key books. A collection of this size must have few as well. High grade 'meh', but 'meh' nonetheless.

A "Hey Pal" from the Promise collection is still a 'Hey Pal"  but what a copy of "Hey Pal" to own :whee:

6 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I have to disagree with Mitch about 85% of the grades being spot on; most of the books I've looked at closely have been significantly overgraded. It looks to me like an auction where a lot of collectors with deep pockets are going to pay top dollar for books in the 8.5—9.2 range with labels in the 9.4—9.8 range. I would strongly advise any buyer in this auction not to ever crack out the books.

Catman #30 9.2

a spine tear, surely production caused, kept it out of 9.8lol

catman.thumb.jpg.0b05b023aff313c5e2dae70f7115a23b.jpg

moreman.thumb.jpg.099d21c950b7ac768c9619fd597ac1b0.jpg