• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

What's the record for a conserved copy?

450K in 2018

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp&id=1235506&next=%2FComicTrack%2FAdmin%2FCL%2Fauctions.asp

Can't recall of any books selling for more since then...

Edited by Gotham Kid

This is a beautiful collection of books. I agree they are overgraded. (Check out the dust shadow on the back of the Tec 114 9.8.)

However, CGC has been 9.8 GA happy for a few years now. I think many books are now rewarded for the cost of the CGC process.

Edited by clarkkentdds

53 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hardly breaking news that as more books are added to the website, the gravitas of the auction increases. This is shaping up to be one for the ages, despite the feelings some may have about the grades.

2 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Totally irrelevant but Armand was the first name of Richelieu - Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, a.k.a. Cardinal de Richelieu.

He was an important collector of art. 

I'm not sure whether that included any GA comics.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:25 PM, Mmehdy said:
On 5/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, pemart1966 said:

Still there are some on this thread that are of the opinion that some of the books on offer are over graded for one reason or another.

I always look at any grade closely and make my own opinion, but these books are gonna have special value above normal non-special collection books and that should make up the difference in any over/under grading.

Since grading is still really nothing more than just a subjective opinion at a particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science, it is only normal that we should expect to see some overgraded books along with some undergraded books.  (thumbsu

From an equal opportunity point of view, since this thread has highlighted some of the seemingly overgraded books from this collection, it is only fair that we should also be pointing out some of the seemingly undergraded books from this collection.  Not only common sense and past history, but the simple law of averages says that we should be seeing quite a few undergraded books by now and it would certainly be nice to also see some of these highlighted on this thread here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Action 1 has already been posted. How do you know about the Tec 27 ? Is there a preview page besides this one ?

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+792+4294943306&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-ComingSoon-BrowseViewLots-071713

Anyone know what damage has been done to the interior pages as a result of the (previous?) rusting staples?

The damage to the cover is quite evident...

Were period appropriate staples used or current ones?

Edited by pemart1966

5 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

At one point he owned the best copy of Obadiah Evenolderbuck.

We're talking Rhodium and Palladium ages now.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Cap 46 will bring $125k - $150k

the Cap 74 and All Select 1 might break $100k

Yes, I can certainly see both the Cap 46 and the Cap 74 hitting those lofty figues considering the graded condition for both of those copies there. (thumbsu

Not so sure about the All-Select 1 being able to crack the $100K barrier though, especially since if I remember correctly it is only a CGC 8.0 graded copy with another 9 copies graded higher than that.  It would certainly portend well for the other HG copies if it was able to achieve this.  :wishluck:

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Granted, no guarantee which books from this collection will re-sell over the next three years vs. disappear for 10-20 years, but the longer I've been in this hobby, the more I've realized "a lifetime" actually equates to "10 years."

Then again, if you were into the highest graded copies of the key BA and CA key marketplace during the past few months, you would think that "a lifetime" actually equates to only "1 month".  lol  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Anyone know what damage has been done to the interior pages as a result of the (previous?) rusting staples?

The damage to the cover is quite evident...

Were period appropriate staples used or current ones?

I'm guessing Jon Berk could answer those questions. The book, in the same holder, sold for $393,000 when he put it up for sale in 2017.  So it wasn't scaring anyone away.

I would think they'd likely have been period appropriate staples because I don't think they are hard to find

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Then again, if you were into the highest graded copies of the key BA and CA key marketplace during the past few months, you would think that "a lifetime" actually equates to only "1 month".  lol  :screwy:

To what does "1 month" refer?  The length of time that it takes for identically graded copies to come to market or the length of time that those collecting said copies can stay focussed on them?

Edited by pemart1966

8 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

We'll see.

*Many* of the Billy Wrights sold for less the second (and third) times they were offered.

Granted, no guarantee which books from this collection will re-sell over the next three years vs. disappear for 10-20 years, but the longer I've been in this hobby, the more I've realized "a lifetime" actually equates to "10 years."

Billy Wright was 367 books, a lot of which some  were bought by the guy that defrauded that company. thus quick resale..this a 5000 OO amazing condition collection...apple vs orange hre

Edited by Mmehdy

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Action 1 CGC 5.5 (conserved) - the conservation is ""Conservation includes: cover cleaned, cover reinforced, staples replaced."  I think it presents nicely.  The only bothersome things are (1) it looks like some rust might have been scraped off from around the staple area which caused paper loss in that area and (2) the cover cleaning method is not specified (might have stripped the gloss).  Cover reinforcement (if reversible as is very likely the case) and staple replacement are non-factors.  It's probably a $500K+ comic, and I'm not seeing anything in the Promise Collection of that magnitude yet.  What's the record for a conserved copy?

Ah okay.  Hadn't noticed that book because I had my Restored Books filters on.