• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, sagii said:
1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I assume Heritage has an idea of the amount of new money coming into the hobby before deciding to put so much primo material into one auction.  But personally, I gotta believe this will affect prices.  

My thoughts exactly. 

Well, definitely not to the same extent as the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017 when he had over 3,000 books all up and done in one shot.  hm

From the looks of how everything's being loaded into their preview, I think there's going to be only a small fraction of the total 5,000 Promise Collection coming up in this next Signature Auction here.  In addition, with the current pandemic and super crazy red hot money that seems to be floating into the collectibles space, I gotta believe there's a lot of new money on the sidelines that will also be coming in and will help to rocket prices only further upwards.  Especially with what we've seen take place in the key and high grade, but readily available BA and CA marketplaces.  :screwy:

It will definitely be fun and interesting to watch as I guess we'll all be watching what takes place next month.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

So, with the Tec 27 behemoth officially in the books, how would everyone handicap this auction at this point in time?

Does the enormous quality of high grade/highest graded GA books dilute the bidding or are we headed towards history in the making?

Well, based upon my above post, I am definitely leaning much more towards the latter here, as opposed to the former.  (thumbsu

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, definitely not to the same extent as the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017 when he had over 3,000 books all up and done in one shot.  hm

From the looks of how everything's being loaded into their preview, I think there's going to be only a small fraction of the total 5,000 Promise Collection coming up in this next Signature Auction here.  In addition, with the current pandemic and super crazy red hot money that seems to be floating into the collectibles space, I gotta believe there's a lot of new money on the sidelines that will also be coming in and will help to rocket prices only further upwards.  Especially with what we've seen take place in the key and high grade, but readily available BA and CA marketplaces.  :screwy:

It will definitely be fun and interesting to watch as I guess we'll all be watching what takes place next month.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Time will tell Lou, sooner than later 

2 hours ago, sagii said:

My thoughts exactly.  

With the best website and platform second to none and this collection they are leaving CC and CL in the dust. They are taking comic books both GA/SA to the next level as this collection will break the world record price of the Billy Wright which was only 367 books...great GA books...look for $25M when all is said and done...This is great in terms of GA comic book collecting..for everyone..those who will get great deals of 6.5 books they have always wanted while other shoot for the sky with these books. I wish I had a time machine 5 years ahead...everyone is gonna say...I should of bought more...

and FYI speaking of time travel..I saw a great trailer for a upcoming SF epic which has time travelers coming back 30 years to get more people to fight the alien war in the future..give it  a look, great concept..."The Tomorrow War"...Amazon spent 200 million to buy it and avoid theater release to promote its platform..its great...July 2,  2021

Edited by Mmehdy

Looks like they've got the first 3 issues of the Seven Seas run up on deck already, but still missing the key SS 4 and SS 6 for now:  :luhv:   :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-3-the-promise-collection-pedigree-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175144.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=2|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F8%2F2%2F24082662%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Highest graded copy of this Seven Seas 3 by a long shot at CGC 9.6, with the next highest graded copy being only a CGC 9.0.  Although it's definitely a nice looking copy here, still a bit surprised at the amount of color fading splatter in the red logo area at the top or is that from the glare of Heritage's bright lights that they used when they take their scans.  (shrug)

Either way, hope this copy here goes for an absolute fortune since I have a nice HG copy of this book in my own personal collection, and like they say, a rising tide tends to lift all boats.  :devil:  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like they've got the first 3 issues of the Seven Seas run up on deck already, but still missing the key SS 4 and SS 6 for now:  :luhv:   :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-3-the-promise-collection-pedigree-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175144.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=2|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F8%2F2%2F24082662%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Highest graded copy of this Seven Seas 3 by a long shot at CGC 9.6, with the next highest graded copy being only a CGC 9.0.  Although it's definitely a nice looking copy here, still a bit surprised at the amount of color fading splatter in the red logo area at the top or is that from the glare of Heritage's bright lights that they used when they take their scans.  (shrug)

Either way, hope this copy here goes for an absolute fortune since I have a nice HG copy of this book in my own personal collection, and like they say, a rising tide tends to lift all boats.  :devil:  :banana:

I'm not sure the sale of a single-highest-graded copy would pull up of the value of other copies. The opposite might be true. The previous highest-graded copy is now the 2nd-highest graded, etc. I firmly believe that many of the nicest copies of GA issues are still raw and locked up in 2nd-owner collections that were built up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, so I've always considered the census something of a dog-and-pony show, anyway.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, especially since you can't truly grade a book just from a scan, as opposed to having the actual book in hand.  Still, always best to buy the book, as oppsed to buying the label like what a lot of the OCD FOMO driven buyers seem to do nowadays.  (thumbsu

Looks like they have the Miss Fury run up right now, and Miss Fury #2 has always been my favorite out of this short run due to its beautiful blend of colors:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miss-fury-2-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1943-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/p/7244-175085.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Preview-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=93|0#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076122%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Surprised that they haven't had a higher graded copy after all this time, since this Promise Copy here is the highest graded copy at CGC 8.5.  Not sure what happened with that top staple area or the wear at the bottom of the spine, but I guess it is what it is, although I have certainly seen better presenting CGC 8.5 graded books from a strict visual point of view.  hm  (shrug)

Wanted to try uploading a photo from my facebook page of my

copy of Miss Fury 2  - I had it graded in November of 2003.

https://www.facebook.com/excitingcomics1

It was the highest graded copy for many years - . 

My book has some issues like spine wear and soiling, but

the Promise Copy has issues too with  lower spine abrasion/split, staple pull/tear, and

tiny tear in the window on the front cover edge.

Miss Fury 2 is one of my favorite books of the Golden Age and I feel it is a tiny bit

under appreciated in the hobby. The cover is similar in mood, color, and tone to relatively more common books like

Suspense 3 and Detective 31.  Yep, that's right - relatively more common - check the census.

PS - Does anyone know why my posts are double spacing and how I can single space instead?

I looked at the tool bar and saw font size - etc - but no line spacing tool?

Miss Fury 2.jpg

Edited by blackterror

Promise collection competition update:

The competition for these books are starting to rev up. This is what I know and have heard.

There are 3 major collectors not on this board( have never been on it) that are gearing up to acquire upwards of 100 books each. Once these books added to their collection, they are gone.....for a long time. One whom I spoke to tonight sold his Gold ETF's and is ready to go, the second is converting some "pension" assets to collectables last weekend.

Don't be surprised if a Auction House goes after a chuck for later resale as I know of one collector/dealer who has been mentioned on this board in the past, is planing a jump in say 50 of them for a start.

What does that mean for me and you as we want to cherry pick a few great books and upgrade a few that have bothered us over many  years of collecting flip them out for upgrade. As more of the collection is revealed and its balance of remains goes down, prices should increase. With a lot buyers going in, I think early is better as long as you are buying the GA. book itself.not just any 9.8 GA book or that it is a pedigree. That is the safe and  sane  way to approach this historic collection. Pick you battles carefully.

So your completion would be a few GA whale collectors, collector dealers, and a possible auction house...along with these "new speculators". It is gonna be crowded for us true comic book collectors. It if was Billy Wright coming on board at 367 books, we would be blow out of the water...we have 5000...we have a real shot at these. Let me know if you hear any other rumblings regarding this collection.

Edited by Mmehdy

17 minutes ago, Timely said:

I think a lot of collectors just lost money due to this new collection pushing their books off that highest graded pedestal, many right here on the boards!

Yes, totally. But on the flip side, I think we will see record prices, which will serve to attract even more of the crypto and card guys, and continue to heat things up across the board for awhile to come.  There are those who got pushed off the “highest 1 of 1” pedestals, but I think the hobby in general is about to receive its first stimulus check.

I’m really flabbergasted by what is happening.

Pandemic? What pandemic?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

26 minutes ago, Timely said:

A rising tide can lift boats, but can sink others.

It is apparent a lot of current “Highest Graded Copy” books will no longer have that distinction due to this collection. Having that distinction on your book greatly increases its value. If you lose that, you lose money.

Example. You have the best copy of a book, a 9.4 worth $5000. Now a 9.6 appears. It is worth $6500 and that 9.4 is now worth $4000. I see this happen all the time!

I think a lot of collectors just lost money due to this new collection pushing their books off that highest graded pedestal, many right here on the boards!

I agree—although I don't share the perspective of those willing to pay massive premiums for single-highest-graded copies. For me, grading is a little too subjective for that to make sense. (And for some collectors, it seems to be more about narcissism than it is about an appreciation for the books.) I've done it once or twice due to impatience, but I'm nearly always happy with a VF copy of a book regardless of how many nicer copies are out there.

Are you in the process of buying the Mile High Timelys, West? If you are buying them, are you going to slab them? It will be interesting to see how many highest-graded titles are claimed by Promise copies versus Mile Highs. It'll be the comic book version of Friday Night Fights. The Mile Highs might have a bit of a handicap considering how over-graded the Promise books appear to be.

Edited by jimbo_7071

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's the thing about highest-graded copies: they're not always the most desirable copies (except to narcissistic collectors who want to feel special). The Fiction House books are good examples. In many cases, the highest-graded copies don't have particularly good colors. Sometimes highest-graded copies don't have perfect registration, aren't squarely cut, etc. Many of the Harvey File Copies are highest-graded copies despite having poor page quality.

Edited by jimbo_7071

2 hours ago, Timely said:

A rising tide can lift boats, but can sink others.

It is apparent a lot of current “Highest Graded Copy” books will no longer have that distinction due to this collection. Having that distinction on your book greatly increases its value. If you lose that, you lose money.

Example. You have the best copy of a book, a 9.4 worth $5000. Now a 9.6 appears. It is worth $6500 and that 9.4 is now worth $4000. I see this happen all the time!

Thank god I am a bottom feeder :banana:

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

That's the thing about highest-graded copies: they're not always the most desirable copies (except to narcissistic collectors who want to feel special). The Fiction House books are good examples. In many cases, the highest-graded copies don't have particularly good colors. Sometimes highest-graded copies don't have perfect registration, aren't squarely cut, etc. Many of the Harvey File Copies are highest-graded copies despite having poor page quality.

I have owned a couple of Planets that - according to the census - have been highest graded for a longish time, and it still surprises me. Maybe the Promise Collection will prove my undoing!:fear:

8 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Promise collection competition update:

The competition for these books are starting to rev up. This is what I know and have heard.

There are 3 major collectors not on this board( have never been on it) that are gearing up to acquire upwards of 100 books each. Once these books added to their collection, they are gone.....for a long time. One whom I spoke to tonight sold his Gold ETF's and is ready to go, the second is converting some "pension" assets to collectables last weekend.

Don't be surprised if a Auction House goes after a chuck for later resale as I know of one collector/dealer who has been mentioned on this board in the past, is planing a jump in say 50 of them for a start.

What does that mean for me and you as we want to cherry pick a few great books and upgrade a few that have bothered us over many  years of collecting flip them out for upgrade. As more of the collection is revealed and its balance of remains goes down, prices should increase. With a lot buyers going in, I think early is better as long as you are buying the GA. book itself.not just any 9.8 GA book or that it is a pedigree. That is the safe and  sane  way to approach this historic collection. Pick you battles carefully.

So your completion would be a few GA whale collectors, collector dealers, and a possible auction house...along with these "new speculators". It is gonna be crowded for us true comic book collectors. It if was Billy Wright coming on board at 367 books, we would be blow out of the water...we have 5000...we have a real shot at these. Let me know if you hear any other rumblings regarding this collection.

I'm sure there are plenty of people building a war chest to get books.  But I'm more concerned about the people who don't need to liquidate assets to buy books.  You're going to see some bloodbaths.