• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

Oh to just have consistent grading.  It’s so painful to get 9.2 and 9.4 books that look better than your 9.6 and 9.8’s

agreed

9 minutes ago, buttock said:

Within the past few months there were threads getting locked down for people saying that CGC was grading too tight. More likely what you're seeing right now is inexperienced graders being brought in from the modern side to grade vintage books.

They used to have three graders grade every book, but I thought I read somewhere that they were down to two graders per book. Do you know whether that's true?

17 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not sure the sale of a single-highest-graded copy would pull up of the value of other copies. The opposite might be true. The previous highest-graded copy is now the 2nd-highest graded, etc.

8 hours ago, Timely said:

A rising tide can lift boats, but can sink others.

It is apparent a lot of current “Highest Graded Copy” books will no longer have that distinction due to this collection. Having that distinction on your book greatly increases its value. If you lose that, you lose money.

Example. You have the best copy of a book, a 9.4 worth $5000. Now a 9.6 appears. It is worth $6500 and that 9.4 is now worth $4000. I see this happen all the time!

I think a lot of collectors just lost money due to this new collection pushing their books off that highest graded pedestal, many right here on the boards!

Well, if you are referring to specific and individual next highest graded copies of books as per your example, then I would tend to agree with you.  Then again, how can you really tell for sure if you haven't place your then highest graded copy up for actual sale to see what the market will bear?  It's quite possible that the prices will be high enough for these copies here since they are coming from a special pedigree, that they just might bring prices on your next highest copy even higher going forward.  Especially if you was not planning to sell your then highest graded copies anytime soon anyways.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

I was really talking about the GA market more in general, as opposed to just the nosebleed highest graded copies portion of the marketplace.  If you take a look at what's happening with some of the BA and CA keys like Hulk 181, Spidey 129, GSXM 1, etc., the mere fact that we are seeing record setting prices being set on some of the highest graded copies are not resulting in a sinking of the slightly lower graded copies.  Heck, just take a look at the auction results for the seconded highest graded copies of TMNT 1 as they are certainly not sinking, but rather soaring into the stratosphere as more copies come into the marketplace.  :applause:

I would tend to agree with @GreatCaesarsGhost sentiments below in that I strongly believe this auction of the Promise Collection books will serve to shine a much bigger light onto the GA portion of our comic book marketplace, and as a result, will only be a huge positive on prices of GA books (in general) going forward:  hm  (thumbsu

8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, totally. But on the flip side, I think we will see record prices, which will serve to attract even more of the crypto and card guys, and continue to heat things up across the board for awhile to come.  There are those who got pushed off the “highest 1 of 1” pedestals, but I think the hobby in general is about to receive its first stimulus check.

I’m really flabbergasted by what is happening.

Pandemic? What pandemic?

29 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

If that's a 9.8, then I need to resubmit every one of my 9.4s.

No sorry, my bad as I was referring to the fact that the Promise Copy of Planet 38 being a CGC 9.8 graded copy would be a book that I could never afford or dream of ever purchasing.  :(

The raw copy which I pictured in my post above (or seen below) is a copy that I hope to be able to obtain one day as I think it presents really nicely prior to it being graded almost 15 years ago, which turned out to be either a CGC 6.5 or a CGC 7.0 graded copy.  Most likely the former if memory serves me correctly.  :luhv:  :takeit:

PLANET_38.jpg

Just wish we could see some similar type seemingly undergraded copies of books from this Promise Collection, but I guess it is what it is when it comes to this particular pedigree collection here.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

30 minutes ago, buttock said:

Within the past few months there were threads getting locked down for people saying that CGC was grading too tight. More likely what you're seeing right now is inexperienced graders being brought in from the modern side to grade vintage books.

Damned they do damned if they don’t when it comes to grading tightly I guess.  I suppose consistency would help though.

Edited by szav

7 hours ago, Jayman said:

I just can’t wait for the flood of undercopies that will hit the market! :banana:

Although I've seen this same type of sentiment from many of the boardies here, it actually doesn't seem to make much financial sense from a supply and demand point of view.  hm

I would tend to think that GA prices might possibly just be trending lower short term if you are trying to sell books at a time when others are also trying to sell their books in order to raise monies to acquire books from this Promise Colllection.  Being more of a pure collector, I would tend to buy books either from current funds that I already have available or from funds that I could raise from other investments outside of the GA comic books.  (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

If there’s anyone that doesn’t believe at least some of the Promise Collection books are overgraded, let’s play a game. If this is a 9.2 . . . 

9BD35EB3-AF29-41E6-80A9-59261B747224.jpeg

AB6BA577-9DC0-422C-864F-1D1E7AA564E2.jpeg

then what is this?

F3B8AFF9-70FC-4DD1-B069-04AB334FF93F.jpeg

7C17714C-469A-4065-B1D6-8E7D8A587439.jpeg

I've noticed over the years that some things bother some graders more than others. It seems sun shadows/dust shadows are OK on high grade books while dirt stains are horrible....

I'm pretending I didn't see the tear.

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I figured you'd want to keep a few thousand ...just to admire them for while. 

I want to keep them all. My hovel can handle them.

Just now, MrBedrock said:

I want to keep them all. My hovel can handle them.

Well, I had the right idea, lol....did not mean to insult your beautiful house;) it was just my way of suggesting you'd keep them.

I'd want to as well...but I'd need to win the lottery;)