• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

You would. Other people prefer privacy. I would not want to invite any publicity, not for fear of people looking to hit the family for money but simply b/c I like to keep most things private (shrug)

I mean you did neglect to quote the part where I said I’m a wildly speculating ill informed cynic...

Edited by szav

19 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

At the risk of bringing everything in the world to a stop, have we all been staring at the Promise books so much that no one has mentioned the gem of gems is appearing in this auction? Might need it's own 50+ page thread or risk breaking the internet.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Hello Pal #1 Mile High Pedigree (Harvey, 1943) CGC NM- 9.2...

:censored:

I was hoping everyone would overlook it amidst all the hubbub over the Promise books!

Thanks Sean! :mad:

Edited by tth2

Putting Mickey Rooney picture on comic subtitled "Short Story Comics" is blatant discrimination against vertically challenged people. That wouldn't fly today.

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

At the risk of bringing everything in the world to a stop, have we all been staring at the Promise books so much that no one has mentioned the gem of gems is appearing in this auction? Might need it's own 50+ page thread or risk breaking the internet.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Hello Pal #1 Mile High Pedigree (Harvey, 1943) CGC NM- 9.2...

6 hours ago, szav said:

[A]s close as we are now and as little info is out and as vague as the info has been, I'm currently more inclined to think this is the story of a dealer/collector who got a hold of these books some years or decades ago, and that the family of the OO is long since removed from what's going on right now.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I'm not sure how long they've been out of the picture, though. It could be a case where they recently shopped the collection to an LCS owner who said, "These are wonderful books, so I'm going to offer you top dollar for them—$50,000 for the whole collection," and the elderly brother accepted the offer, thinking it generous.

Edited by jimbo_7071

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I agree. I’m currently in talks with Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, and Alan Moore to write about my pedigree collections back story. Not sure yet if it will be a story about the struggle to survive or a dark tragic tale of revenge where good triumphs over evil. Maybe a action packed heist story with lots of car chases and explosions with the final payoff as my books are unloaded at the CGC entry way?:popcorn:

Woah woah woahhh...I said documentary and a few human interest articles to add some publicity, not 'action packed blockbuster.' 

When 25 million plus is on the line, I don't think a 10-15 minute youtube video telling the story of the once in a a lifetime collection and the people behind it is too much to ask, if the story is actually that compelling. 

They could title the documentary... "The Value of a Promise - the soandso story".  I guarantee at least 100 views and 10 likes.

4 minutes ago, szav said:

Woah woah woahhh...I said documentary and a few human interest articles to add some publicity, not 'action packed blockbuster.' 

When 25 million plus is on the line, I don't think a 10-15 minute youtube video telling the story of the once in a a lifetime collection and the people behind it is too much to ask, if the story is actually that compelling. 

They could title the documentary... "The Value of a Promise - the soandso story".  I guarantee at least 100 views and 10 likes.

Sorry. Go big or go home is what I say…

D3CE91BE-ABEA-4253-8C3A-4069A94DE869.gif.3974abee75a221db4c47292c99af333c.gif

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

Looks like you made out like a rabbit here and nothing compared to the boardie who PM'ed me last night after one of my posts to show me scans of a CGC graded book that he had resubbed (sadly without performing his due diligence of CPR) for a potential upgrade and ended up being burned by a 3 full CGC condition grading levels instead.  :frustrated:  :mad:  :censored:

Really felt sorry for the boardie as it was also most likely a case of real bad timing as the book was regraded not quite 3 weeks ago and right during the midst of all of these Promise Collection books going through at the same time.  The real sad thing is that from the scan, although the book might have been off by one grade point if graded tightly, it certainly presented better than some of the scans of books that we have seen posted here earlier in this thread and that by some grading miracle are now somehow the highest graded copies on the CGC Census Population Report.  :devil:

This is why I find that although CGC and certified grading has most definitely been a net benefit to the collecting base, grading at times is also a matter of luck and timing because as seen in the past, if CGC is hell bent on grading to fit a certain business agenda of the day, you best hope that your book is not hitting their grading table during that time period.  hm  :wishluck:

A perfect reminder to all of us here how NOT so great CGC truly is on that level.  :baiting:  lol

Just curious, but when you say things like this do you envision Jim Halperin walking the halls of CGC and saying, "That's a mighty fine book you're grading there. Be a shame if it were to be less than, oh say, a 9.8." How, exactly, do you think CGC lets the graders know that they should be lenient on a certain number of books? Is the grading carde marked? Does an email go out? Team meeting? Do you envision a tell-all book detailing all of the shady practices?