• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I change my choice!  

This reconfirms my initial thinking even more as this Church copy here is perfectly cut from the top and bottom edge point of view.  (thumbsu  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, Comcav said:

I saw many camera phone pics prior to grading (along with the pic of the book then graded for comparison), they are indeed ALL THAT PLUS FROSTING ON TOP. 

In this case, can you please provide us all with a phone pic of this CGC 8.5 graded copy of Subby 23 AD (After Destruction) because this is indeed ALL THAT MINUS THE "MOUSE CHEW" ON THE BOTOM:  :fear:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-23-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175249.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sub-Mariner Comics #23 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Ti...

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sub-Mariner Comics #23 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Ti...

With all of the increased fees that's now being charged for their services, I hope they can use some of it to pony up the cash to hire a real professional exterminator because that "rodent infestation" problem they seem to be having down at CCS appears to be getting totally out of control here.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

jeez that mouse chew is pretty bad.   That's a 7.0 at that point, I don't care how fresh the rest of the book is.

Well, I believe if you go by the Overstreet grading standards since nobody knows what CGC's undisclosed and shifting grading standards are, a missing piece like that going through the ENTIRE BOOK would probably bring the grade down much lower than a 7.0.  :p

Then again, since it was most likely done during their "maximization of potential" process, pay no attention to it and we are good to go.  :devil:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

35 minutes ago, Bronty said:

in fairness I feel like there's a ton of gorgeous books that look worth the grades as well

From a distance only, because if you are like me, probably still haven't gotten around to opening many of the posted scans that's on the HA site yet.  :facepalm:  :taptaptap:

I was only made aware of this Subby 23 by a PM which I had received from @MasterChief last night along with a couple of other scans as he also can't figure out how CGC is coming up with some of these grades on some of these books from the Promise Collection. :ohnoez:

It's too bad he's swamped at work right now, because his usual detailed analytical input here would indeed be both highly valued and greatly appreciated.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

35 minutes ago, Bronty said:

in fairness I feel like there's a ton of gorgeous books that look worth the grades as well

Most of the 9.8s look good for the grade.  So they can still judge a flawless book I guess.

Edited by szav

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

In this case, can you please provide us all with a phone pic of this CGC 8.5 graded copy of Subby 23 AD (After Destruction) because this is indeed ALL THAT MINUS THE "MOUSE CHEW" ON THE BOTOM:  :fear:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-23-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175249.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

With all of the increased fees that's now being charged for their services, I hope they can use some of it to pony up the cash to hire a real professional exterminator because that "rodent infestation" problem they seem to be having down at CCS appears to be getting totally out of control here.  :devil:

:p:p

37 minutes ago, Rip said:

Those books really should be changed. 

:idea:   Or how about sending ALL OF THEM to the boys across the street for finalized grading in order to ensure some consistency in the grades?  :devil:

On 5/12/2021 at 1:21 PM, sfcityduck said:

CGC is only subject to regulation by its customers.  And, despite its name, it does not guarantee anything, including the accuracy of its grading.

Third party grading is an opinion. The ultimate responsibility is with you the TCBC to make the final call. Yes, I agree with CGC on those 9.8's and differ with some of the 9.6/4 etc. The good part is at least they are here to protect us from undisclosed restoration which has become a game of cat and mouse between the CGC and the grade manipulators.

There is gonna be a lot of pedigree" bashing" due to the fact that the collection is so great with 5000 OO new to the market books.

Do not listen the bashers and you yourself judge how much to pay, and what condition you are buying it in with the understanding that this is probably the LAST OO non collector GA collection of 5000 95% top graded books that will ever hit the market again.

I can remember when": Chuckles " selling a lot of Church copies at a early SDCC...Man, collectors were outraged his prices which was about 3x guide and lo and behold 5years later those complainers were saying that they should of bought them all.

We have  5000 GA top condition books, enough for everyone on this board and other GA collectors. Yes, the grading is good/bad/spot on...ok I get that...here is what you do not get, 5 years from today everyone on this board who hesitates due to negative comments are gonna complain I should of bought 2 or 5 or what ever.

The real winners of this outstanding GA collection, will buy and hold.

My opinion of Ha.com com is that I have left bids on certain items with over 10K from the second  underbidder and that money was left on the table by an honest auction house. I do not believe for minute that Ha controls CGC, that CGC somehow controls Ha.Com...they are too busy making tons money to do that.

Edited by Mmehdy

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

jeez that mouse chew is pretty bad.   That's a 7.0 at that point, I don't care how fresh the rest of the book is.

So...it's a 7.0 - graded as an 8.5 - that will probably sell for multiples of what a 9.0 should sell for...  doh!

Edited by pemart1966

27 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

So...it's a 7.0 - graded as an 8.5 - that will probably sell for multiples of what an 9.0 should sell for...  doh!

Buy it next time it shows up. Most of these books will be bought by new-money people who flit in and out of the hobby like fireflies. They will tire of the hobby in a couple of years and unload their books at a loss just like Gary Keller did with the Mile High Green Lanterns. Most of them have enough money that they won't even notice.

30 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Buy it next time it shows up. Most of these books will be bought by new-money people who flit in and out of the hobby like fireflies. They will tire of the hobby in a couple of years and unload their books at a loss just like Gary Keller did with the Mile High Green Lanterns Flash Comics.  Most of them have enough money that they won't even notice.

Corrected, I think.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Clearly the mouse nibbled on it as it was being printed, thus its a manufacturer defective.