• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Since grading is still really nothing more than just a subjective opinion at a particular point in time, as opposed to an exact science, it is only normal that we should expect to see some overgraded books along with some undergraded books.  (thumbsu

From an equal opportunity point of view, since this thread has highlighted some of the seemingly overgraded books from this collection, it is only fair that we should also be pointing out some of the seemingly undergraded books from this collection.  Not only common sense and past history, but the simple law of averages says that we should be seeing quite a few undergraded books by now and it would certainly be nice to also see some of these highlighted on this thread here. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

I have yet to find any undergraded books in the auction. I find them often enough on eBay—never on HA. Heritage may simply re-submit tightly graded books until they get a gift grade.

Resubmissions pretty much demolish the law of averages because tightly graded books get resubmitted but loosely graded books don't.

Edited by jimbo_7071

46 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I have yet to find any undergraded books in the auction. I find them often enough on eBay—never on HA. Heritage may simply re-submit tightly graded books until they get a gift grade.

Resubmissions pretty much demolish the law of averages because tightly graded books get resubmitted but loosely graded books don't.

Very interesting observation. (thumbsu

18 hours ago, vheflin said:

Catman #30 9.2

a spine tear, surely production caused, kept it out of 9.8lol

catman.thumb.jpg.0b05b023aff313c5e2dae70f7115a23b.jpg

moreman.thumb.jpg.099d21c950b7ac768c9619fd597ac1b0.jpg

Don't know much about the actual mechanics of pressing and their possible impact on books, but what the heck is going on with the spine, and in particular, the top portion of the spine in this copy of Catman 30?  ???

This spine look seems to be apparent on several of the books from this collection and was wondering if this could be a pressing defect from a bad pressing job or just simply bad storage of the book over an extended period of time?  hm  (shrug) 

15 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Any Idea on D27...unrestored..?

As promised...Tec 27 just listed...no pic...

Detective Comics #27 (DC, 1939) CGC VG/FN 5.0 White pages. In the minds of a considerable number of collectors, this is the most desirable comic issue of all. The first appearance of The Batman came 11 months after that of Superman in Action Comics #1, and over the years copies of the two issues have alternately set auction records. We rarely see a complete Universal label copy like this one - this is just the third in the past nine years! Tec #27 currently ranks #2 on Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age Comics list, far ahead of #3. Co-creator Bob Kane provided the cover and contributed story art, as did Joe Shuster and Fred Guardineer. Overtreet 2020 VG 4.0 value = $409,000; FN 6.0 value = $613,000. CGC census 5/21: 2 in 5.0, 16 higher.

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Heritage has the AC1 (Conserved) ahead of the D27 (value wise list order)

They have obviously started their weekend drinking early.

So, with the Tec 27 behemoth officially in the books, how would everyone handicap this auction at this point in time?

Does the enormous quality of high grade/highest graded GA books dilute the bidding or are we headed towards history in the making?

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

Does the enormous quality of high grade/highest graded GA books dilute the bidding or are we headed towards history in the making?

I assume Heritage has an idea of the amount of new money coming into the hobby before deciding to put so much primo material into one auction.  But personally, I gotta believe this will affect prices.  

42 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I assume Heritage has an idea of the amount of new money coming into the hobby before deciding to put so much primo material into one auction.  But personally, I gotta believe this will affect prices.  

My thoughts exactly.