• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Promise copy has a dust shadow left top edge, a bit rough right top edge, and is misaligned/miscut with the Superman circle top cut off and blank paper below the image bottom right:

What is this............are you doing a rewrite of the grading definitions for VF/NM here in preparation for Overstreet's new guide?  lol

And what the frig is going on with that top staple area for the Promise Collection copy or is this simply just nothing more than CCS's signature confirmation mark that additional revenue has already been generated from this book and this defect signature should therefore be taken into consideration accordingly by the graders. :devil:

Bottom-line:  After careful visual consideration and since I am not a label chaser, I would take the Mile High copy since the cover looks pretty white to me and presents nicely as compared to the Promise copy with that misaligned cut along the top which is a definite eyesore, plus you can never go wrong with a Church pedigree since it's the absolute top rung of the pedigree ladder:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

D120.png.64fe4d1030838cfe031d518a9ff6c848.png

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am wondering if there is a Punch #12 in there. hm

6 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Since Greggy is all confused again. I will clarify my question/statement.  

Does anyone know if there is a Punch Comics #12 in this collection? 

Other than 1 restored book at 8.5 the current top census is the Crowley 8.0 that sold on Heritage in 2002 for just over $2,530 then again in 2018 for $55,000

Well, since no one else has bothered to answer your question here, I will try to fathom a guess and say "Yes", there should most likely be a Punch 12 in there since this would be from the prime 1945/46 time period.  I guess we can only wait and see to find out though.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

My best guess though is that it's pretty likely considering that they already have a copy of Punch 19 in there, with the 2 problem staple areas and that fugly looking spine as per usual:  :p  :frustrated:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/punch-comics-19-the-promise-collection-pedigree-chesler-1946-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076021%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

With respect to the Punch run, I believe the only ones they might not have in there might be Punch 1 and 2 since it's prior to 1943, and even if they did, might not be in the usual "high grade" condition that the majority of the Promise books would be in.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, buttock said:

The promise copy looks the best to me, the twilight-- while not having a dust shadow-- appears to be a little dirty all over.  Or at least tanned.  Which is effectively a full book shadow.  (lou_fine is already concocting a series of conspiracies to explain how that got a 9.6).  It could just be the imaging, but the promise copy appears fresher.  

Not as much as that copy of Punch Comics 19 from my previous post just up above, that's for sure.  :fear:

Something for you to comtemplate while you lay awake at night thinking about the meaning of life..................."One book's defects are another book's pedigree characteristic traits".  :preach:  (:

Another food for thought just for you..............if you are thinking of opting for a Heritage scanned book because of the brightness and freshness of the cover, I most certainly hope that you have a light table at home to view your books, similar to the one that HA has.  :takeit:  :censored:  :censored:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since no one else has bothered to answer your question here, I will try to fathom a guess and say "Yes", there should most likely be a Punch 12 in there since this would be from the prime 1945/46 time period.  I guess we can only wait and see to find out though.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

My best guess though is that it's pretty likely considering that they already have a copy of Punch 19 in there, with the 2 problem staple areas and that fugly looking spine as per usual:  :p  :frustrated:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/punch-comics-19-the-promise-collection-pedigree-chesler-1946-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076021%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

With respect to the Punch run, I believe the only ones they might not have in there might be Punch 1 and 2 since it's prior to 1943, and even if they did, might not be in the usual "high grade" condition that the majority of the Promise books would be in.  (thumbsu

I appreciate the reply. I did see the Punch 19 and that is what lead me to ask of there was a 12. :wishluck:

I will be waiting and watching like so many of us to see what books spring from this collection.  

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

In a way, this is kind of exciting.  It means my Church Wow 10 is a 9.8, at least!  :banana:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Something for you to comtemplate while you lay awake at night thinking about the meaning of life..................."One book's defects are another book's pedigree characteristic traits".  :preach:  (:

So...20 years from now, even de-slabbed, collectors will be able to tell books from the Promise Collection due to the tell-tale messed up stables from the pancake pressing?

17 hours ago, Rip said:

One thing I love about that scan is that it actually starts to show the 3 dimensionally LB Cole covers have when they still have their gloss. Something I suspect many have never seen in person. 

Is this the 9.2 on the census?

yes it is