• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2021 at 10:40 PM, Mmehdy said:

That is a real issue Lou...will the crazy speculators go after the "finest" condition wise GA OO collection. Well first they have to have the brains to realize that All-Winners #21 in 9.8 is a miracle in and of itself that it exits today...OO..that is my favorite books so far, great read, cover, condition. Can they separate  that book for the 300/500 books coming on board this auction time?.. They have money, but do they have skill....it takes a savy collector to be able to navigate  thru that many GA gems. Now, they could hire someone like Mr. Bedrock to advise them...I do not think they are that smart or want to put the time and effort it is to do the necessary research to figure out that All Winners #21 9.8 is priceless and it is.

I think down the road 2 thousand books later, they will or might and buy everything that hits the market, but not today.

It is a GA collectors privilege to just look at the scan of that book, they are looking for widgets. They could get smart...but I bet not right away...we as TCBC's have the advantage now......

Interesting points.  However, we cannot discount the fact the HA has probably been on its Rolodex non stop hyping this collection to every heavy hitter investor that it knows ever since they first knew that they got the job of selling this motherlode.

As such, a whole lot of brains and/or a whole lot of skill may not be necessary.  Neither may it be necessary to be a savvy investor.    No...all it may take are a few pre auction phone calls which include some "advice" and the widget purchasing will start with lot #1 and end with lot #5000.

So most of the books won't be graded?  Kind of good news, look's like a bunch will escape the pancake press :D  Owner held them till he was 94, very impressive.  Sounds like the family is the   

collection has 10 double covers, very cool.  Sounds like he was actively seeking them out.

At 6:42, Brian accidently drinks from hiss pee bottle :( 

Edited by waaaghboss

7 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

+1, as Matt Nelson Promises:

That was great. Thanks. Didn’t learn too much other than what we already knew, that this collection is a unicorn and is awesome! (and that they already sold the Batman one in CGC 9.4). The host hit it on the head when he said the viewers will be upset with Matt Nelson for taking the time to do the interview when we all have so many darned books waiting to be graded. Lol. 

21 minutes ago, tabcom said:

what’s the timeline where lou_fine comes in?

my board routine lately:  i post the appropriate issues in the f.f. and d.d threads in silver, check gold connections to see if i have an offering, and then come over here for his [and others] lamentations.   i have a morbid fascination with it.

10 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Can someone clarify something? In the discussion, Brian said that when he finds collections, the DCs are usually intact but the Timelys are long gone. But he didn't give an explanation for this strange phenomenon. Why would that be so? 

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Interesting points.  However, we cannot discount the fact the HA has probably been on its Rolodex non stop hyping this collection to every heavy hitter investor that it knows ever since they first knew that they got the job of selling this motherlode.

As such, a whole lot of brains and/or a whole lot of skill may not be necessary.  Neither may it be necessary to be a savvy investor.    No...all it may take are a few pre auction phone calls which include some "advice" and the widget purchasing will start with lot #1 and end with lot #5000.

I’m just pointing out that there are enough ‘real collectors’ out there with deep pockets that a book like AW 2 is going to receive plenty of attention.  No way it slips through on a weak sale, regardless of the marketing.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

my board routine lately:  i post the appropriate issues in the f.f. and d.d threads in silver, check gold connections to see if i have an offering, and then come over here for his [and others] lamentations.   i have a morbid fascination with it.

lol

Thanks to the original poster for the link. I don’t know Brian but he sure is enthusiastic about this collection. Sorta seems like you guys on here would feel the same. I’m not a real GA collector I have had some in my collection in the past. Not a fan of pressing but now that it is out in the open and a level playing field, have at it. These books are beautiful and I enjoy looking at them. I may even buy a few. It’s almost like looking at the photo journal books. Sorry if I upset some of you just my opinion and I have broad shoulders.

Best

Edited by linmoth

2 hours ago, cheetah said:

I’m just pointing out that there are enough ‘real collectors’ out there with deep pockets that a book like AW 2 is going to receive plenty of attention.  No way it slips through on a weak sale, regardless of the marketing.

No doubt but It'll be a stronger sale if both collectors AND investors are bidding...

I don't mind pressing at all on books (I own a few pressed books as long as it is done correctly), but Pedigree comics should really be banned from getting any pressing/cleaning services to preserve the originality of the book. To me, having a Pedigree book in its original state is more valuable and much more desirable in my eyes regardless of whether it got a grade bump after a press. 

I really hope CGC takes this into consideration, but it may be all too late since a lot of the Pedigreed books have been pressed and I guess sometimes it is not easily recognizable to tell the difference between a virgin copy and a pressed copy. 

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

That was great. Thanks. Didn’t learn too much other than what we already knew, that this collection is a unicorn and is awesome! (and that they already sold the Batman one in CGC 9.4). The host hit it on the head when he said the viewers will be upset with Matt Nelson for taking the time to do the interview when we all have so many darned books waiting to be graded. Lol. 

Any guess on the amount of $$$$ that the price paid for Bat1....9.4?....you know it had to be a record to avoid public auction?

2 minutes ago, linmoth said:

I’m not sure but I don’t think they were talking about a Batman 1 9.4 from the Promise Collection but the one HA sold awhile back.

You might be right but it seemed to me he was talking about this collection. (shrug)

16 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Thanks.  There’s  the promotional video I would expect and was asking for.  They’re certainly selling the sentimental story that the brother held on until his death and resisted any temptation to cash in, although they say the family was unaware of the value.  It’s pretty inspiring, and adds to the luster for sure.

I suspect most people will accept the story and that the family wants sone privacy so exact details and 100% confirmation won’t be happening.  

I guess the main question that’ll be answered soon enough is what type of premium just for the pedigree will we see.  I suspect close to what Mile Highs get at 50-100% of what you’d expect for equivalently graded non pedigree books, for the high grade and desirable books, and maybe 3-4 times on lower grade or less desirable titles. 

Hard to see it being any bigger since that’s the benchmark the Church books have set and it’s what the market seems willing to accept.

Would be nice to see that published list of all the books in the pedigree.

Edited by szav

11 minutes ago, szav said:

Thanks.  There’s  the promotional video I would expect and was asking for.  They’re certainly selling the sentimental story that the brother held on until his death and resisted any temptation to cash in, although they say the family was unaware of the value.  It’s pretty inspiring, and adds to the luster for sure.

I suspect most people will accept the story and that the family wants sone privacy so exact details and 100% confirmation won’t be happening.  

I guess the main question that’ll be answered soon enough is what type of premium just for the pedigree will we see.

They sure seem to be lobbying for Okajima quality multiples based on the story of this collection.  Which are what?  10x+?