• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Anyone know where that quote about the run gap was in the video?  

probably in the middle somewhere....they were taking about holes in runs...I know very few people were actually there, let alone remember about the SF..really Comics and Comics collection like I was. Back then the collection came in 3 waves as it was split between 3 siblings. So nobody knew until each wave hit, one collector, God rest his soul, bought out almost the entire thrid wave when it was taked to the SDCC. A lot of those books were sold by Erine Gurber who published the Photo Journel Guide. That is another long long story, and you had to be there to see how that played out.

My point is there is a "possibility" that this is not the total collection. I think they get that across in the video. My take its 1/10 that something else is out there which is coming from the collection, and 5/10 that if it existed it is already out here.

Edited by Mmehdy

44 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Imagine the tax bill.

They’ll need a lawyer I’m sure.  Do they inherit the collection with a stepped up basis so less taxes?  unless they inherited a year or two ago... in which case values doubled or more?  It’ll be a headache for sure  but a nice sorta problem to have.

Edited by szav

Uhh...not my favorite issue so I hadn't looked at it yet but can someone explain this 9.6 to me.  Is there any explanation for the highlighted area being scraped off and then the black line drawn back in with marker.  I want to love this collection and make myself ok with the grades, really I do.  Can the uneven black line be explained any other way than having been drawn back in?  I just cant see the color being magically lifeted off the top and bottom of this line.  Printing defect?

image.png.4181b9baf44d2eb4b991e9739637a16c.png

image.png.8d007536c2bb8dca5cfb66b52c7b4658.png

20 minutes ago, szav said:

Printing defect?

Most likely.  Fox books from this time period were poorly printed.

5 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Thanks, I’ve never seen an apparent rub that big in one, with black ink over the top.  I guess this one will provide an interesting test of value in the assigned grade and census rank vs. actual appearance of the book. 

37 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

28 minutes ago, szav said:

Thanks, I’ve never seen an apparent rub that big in one, with black ink over the top.  I guess this one will provide an interesting test of value in the assigned grade and census rank vs. actual appearance of the book. 

Yep, printing issues not uncommon. Looks like the book has a couple more as the green in one spots turns yellow and black line breaks too with yellow covering it in one section. Hardly a deal breaker (for me) on a book like that…:x

CF0C3DA1-C12D-4036-A9CF-498AFC055C3E.jpeg.b9b0d95528fd7821cd8943e7f66df959.jpeg

96034D3C-D118-4965-AD6B-C8F8EA59926E.jpeg.90bb127cda4345ce83f1cc802d62771c.jpeg

On 4/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, adamstrange said:

lf (26).jpg

lf (27).jpg

lf (23).jpg

lf (24).jpg

lf (25).jpg

Regarding artist attribution (again), in my opinion:

#17 is definitely not by Baker. It's not his style at all. It strongly resembles Al Feldstein -- but the latter had no recollection of drawing a PL cover. I think it is probably Feldstein. 

#18 is probably by Jack Kamen, since the small figures look like him, and the design is similar to a cover Kamen drew for Brenda Starr. But Kamen didn't draw Sandra's face this way. Feldstein-esque inking. 

#13 is Matt Baker pencils.

#20 is possibly Baker pencils.

#23 is definitely Kamen pencils and inks. 

I think the collection is amazing.  Some of those pre-slab scans show off incredible inks/gloss.  That Suspense is just ridiculous.  It looks like it just came off the rack.  

Definitely some “gift grades” (preferential treatment to HA) on some that have been posted.  Somewhat expected/predictable as CGC & HA have been in bed since the beginning of the slab market.  Anyone “surprised” at this hasn’t been around very long or hasn’t been paying attention/ignoring the past 20 years.  
Assume everything in a slab from this collection has (sadly) been pressed.  They aren’t going to leave that kind of money on the table.  
I wish I could be a player for some of these books, but they’ll all be way out of my reach.  Good luck to those that are bidding.

It’s be nice if the CGC slabs had the clarity of the Voldy slabs.  It would help the colors pop a little better.  Really would like to see CGC try and improve that aspect of their slabs.

14 hours ago, szav said:

Uhh...not my favorite issue so I hadn't looked at it yet but can someone explain this 9.6 to me.  Is there any explanation for the highlighted area being scraped off and then the black line drawn back in with marker.  I want to love this collection and make myself ok with the grades, really I do.  Can the uneven black line be explained any other way than having been drawn back in?  I just cant see the color being magically lifeted off the top and bottom of this line.  Printing defect?

This cover, also, is not by Baker. The actual artist is unknown. 

13 hours ago, N e r V said:

Hardly a deal breaker (for me) on a book like that…:x

It's a good looking copy overall, but I think it's been said CGC claims to follow the OPG guidelines (at least for grading, but probably not for value when determining what to charge for grading....).  Well from this year's OPG from this year.  9.6 NM+:  blah blah blah...."only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed."  I guess we could debate the meaning of the word 'subtle' and whether or not whoever graded this book needs help understanding the term. 

I'm surprised there's not a few more guffaws over this one, but I think maybe the discussion of all the overgraded books is getting a bit tiresome.  They are great books overall grades aside and I'm still eagerly looking forward to the auction and looking forward to seeing the master list.

5 hours ago, szav said:

It's a good looking copy overall, but I think it's been said CGC claims to follow the OPG guidelines (at least for grading, but probably not for value when determining what to charge for grading....).  Well from this year's OPG from this year.  9.6 NM+:  blah blah blah...."only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed."  I guess we could debate the meaning of the word 'subtle' and whether or not whoever graded this book needs help understanding the term. 

I'm surprised there's not a few more guffaws over this one, but I think maybe the discussion of all the overgraded books is getting a bit tiresome.  They are great books overall grades aside and I'm still eagerly looking forward to the auction and looking forward to seeing the master list.

I’ve never found Overstreet or anyone else to have clear cut grading standards that weren’t down to how different people interpret them. It’s art not science.

It’s why the buyers are all over the place on agreeing with numbers and what is or is not acceptable.

After years of collecting I have my own ideas of what an 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 8.5, 9.4, etc… should look like and buy it as such if it’s CGC or Bedrock or Superworld or Dale Robert’s or Harley or whoever. There’s a few dealers I feel over grade by a half or full point most of the time and so I factor that in too.

I’ve not seen every CGC book out there but I usually agree with what I see when I buy otherwise it’s a no go. Going back to your final sentence I think it’s cool to have another sweet looking collection out there numbers be damned. I think a lot of us are curious to see what the prices realized are going to be in this already overheated market…

Edited by N e r V

On 5/13/2021 at 10:13 AM, Timely said:

Here is a xerox I took of the MH Det #120. Inks were dripping wet with gloss!

detective120.jpg

Not to Badger a point, it looks like it has ink loss on Penguin's hat, head, and coat. Lou_Fine says its total . :sumo:

On 5/14/2021 at 3:49 AM, tabcom said:
On 5/13/2021 at 6:42 PM, aardvark88 said:

+1, as Matt Nelson Promises:

Expand  

what’s the timeline where lou_fine comes in?

On 5/14/2021 at 4:12 AM, Straw-Man said:

my board routine lately:  i post the appropriate issues in the f.f. and d.d threads in silver, check gold connections to see if i have an offering, and then come over here for his [and others] lamentations.   i have a morbid fascination with it.

It just makes my heart beat to hear that some of you wake up every morning with bated breath just waiting with anticipation and desire to hear my latest musings and ramblings on this Promise Collection pedigree here.  :luhv:  lol

Seriously though (if that's possible), sounds like some of you need to develop a sense of humour here.  Especially since I have already clearly stated that I consider this Promise Collection to be an once in a lifetime generational GA OO collection, and like they said in the video here, at this late stage of the comic book collecting life cycle that we are in, possibly (but hopefully not) the last true major GA OO collection to come out.  All I am really doing is taking scans that other boardies have pointed out from a negative point of view, and restating it in a more light-hearted way to bring a bit of levity to these rather dour takes on some of these gorgeous books here.  (thumbsu

After all, if you didn't have at least a chuckle in terms of the S&M girl with the CGC grading whip or the CGC Promise Collection grading train barreling down on you at full speed whilst your HG GA book gripped firmly in hand, then you must truly be a CGC acolyte who's overdosing on your hourly dose of CGC juice.  Reminds me of how upset boardies were when I used to make jokes about some of Jason Ewert's books way back in the day when almost all boardies here thought that was absolute sacrilege as he was pretty much deemed to be God's gift to uber HG comic books back then.  :tonofbricks:

Anyways, back to the video that was posted here by Allan.  Although it was certainly nice to watch 4 comic book guys geeking out over comic books, I thought it would have been even better if they had spiced it up with at least a bit of humour here for us.  Esspecially when they already acknowledged seeing the posts from some of the boardies here on their very own CGC boards.  Perfect examples being when Brian was talking about not even being able to afford a corner of these first group of books posted here and Matt going on about the perfect square corners, it would have been a nice touch if they could have flashed pictures of the covers and zoomed in on the corners of the 2 Subby's and the Sun Girl at that point.  Or when Matt was talking about how the books were pristine because they had not been handled in the past 70 years except for being mylared and boarded about 20 years ago, they really should have flashed an exceprt of that informational video with Matt doing a page count on a GA book while seemingly bending the corners of some of the pages at the same time.   Although certainly hilarious, I guess that would have been a bridge too far for them though.  lol

After all, these are the four color funny books that we are dealing with here and we may as well have some fun and laughs while talking about them here, instead of being a sourpuss and getting your undies all in a knot whenever anything negative is ever mentioned about CGC and their grading, because it's all really meant more as constructive criticism. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, szav said:

image.png.8d007536c2bb8dca5cfb66b52c7b4658.png

All I'll say here is that if I ever submitted a book like this into CGC for grading, I would most likely also receive a grade with a "6" in it, but sad to say, with the "6" on the other side of the decimal point.  Heck, without having the actual book in hand and knowing my luck, it would probably also come back encased in a holder with one of those nicely purple colored label of theirs. :frustrated:  lol

Interesting to note that this is the only copy of PL 14 that has a yellow, orange, green, orange, green stripe combination on the spine edge of the book here.  All of the other copies that I just checked on both the HA and CC auction archives has the green, orange, green, orange, green stripe combination.  Like usual with any of the Promise Collection visual defects noted to date, everybody seems to be very forgiving and conveniently attributing them all to production printing defects to be ignored for grading purposes.  :ohnoez:  :censored:

:idea:   Since it's a production printing defect variant, I guess Heritage should not only be hyping this book here as not only being the single highest graded copy , but also a super super rare variant with no other existing copy in any condition in the entire universe.  :whee:  :banana:   :devil: