• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic covers featuring hippies! 😤
4 4

117 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

You young wipersnappers making fun of hippies. You missed out. Sex, drugs and the best rock ‘n roll ever...:banana:

Lemmie see, LED Zeppelin and Grace Slick at Love In’s OR Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, oh and lockdown and covid...(shrug)

Zep and Grace rock. 

But for every Grace there was a Yoko and for every Woodstock there was an Altamont.

I was there in the hippie 60s too as a kid, some great, some good, some bad and some awful.

Can't say that about today's popular music and culture though.  Talent is sacrificed to image. What was popular in the 60s and 70s was a lot of great, what's popular today is a lot of image. 

Every generation thinks it's better than the next batch of whipper snappers.:preach:

60s and 70s were better music wise, but hippies did smell though. Lol

Edited by jcjames

11 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Zep and Grace rock. 

But for every Grace there was a Yoko and for every Woodstock there was an Altamont.

I was there in the hippie 60s too as a kid, some great, some good, some bad and some awful.

Can't say that about today's popular music and culture though.  Talent is sacrificed to image. What was popular in the 60s and 70s was a lot of great, what's popular today is a lot of image. 

Every generation thinks it's better than the next batch of whipper snappers.:preach:

60s and 70s were better music wise, but hippies did smell though. Lol

Go ask Alice.

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

When my kids were young they thought of hippie as an insult.  I would let them know that the hippies were the ones fighting against the status quo in the 60's which is what pushed our civilization forward.  Now that they have grown they are all counter culture people themselves and have a much greater respect for the hippies.  I often remind them of their using 'hippie' as an insult.

"Counter-culture" people today are called all sorts of names and fired from jobs by the folks who create today's new "cancel-culture" culture.

And hippies did smell... I was there. LOL! :D

32 minutes ago, jcjames said:

"Counter-culture" people today are called all sorts of names and fired from jobs by the folks who create today's new "cancel-culture" culture.

And hippies did smell... I was there. LOL! :D

We had hippies next door when i was like 10 in 1968 and they smelled good.  Their house was clean and had cool things like hanging basket chairs.  

Edited by kav

15 minutes ago, kav said:

We had hippies next door when i was like 10 in 1968 and they smelled good.  Their house was clean and had cool things like hanging basket chairs.  

I lived around Detroit hippies. Always had a skunky+BO odor.

14 hours ago, jcjames said:

I agree but there is a lot of great films & music today, the difference it is no longer in the mainstream and you have to search  harder to find it.

2 hours ago, Bludriver said:

I agree but there is a lot of great films & music today, the difference it is no longer in the mainstream and you have to search  harder to find it.

Oh I agree totally.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

True that. Good and bad. Funny thing my dad told me the same thing about the “old days”. I didn’t believe him then but he was probably right.

I am VERY into music. Always have been. I play several instruments. I say I grew up in the GA of rock ‘n roll because I study music and have lived through a lot of it. When I see the Grammy Awards and American Idol, it just leaves me flat. Very little of it will have the longevity of what came before. Image is a good word for today’s music. 

And I also grew up in turbulent times but there was always a sense that things in this world were changing for the better. Not so much in today’s times. Things seem so grim and the steps we made in the past seem to be slipping away. About we can do is to have hope and care more about each other. 

And as a hippie youth, I always took a shower and washed my hair. About the only smell about me was weed...:roflmao:

I was a fan of the Monkees as a kid and still love them today

19 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

So do I. They were my gateway to music when I was a little kid. When the second wave of MonkeeMania came around in 1986-1987 I was six years old and at my Grandparent's house and just enraptured at the mix of comedy, adventure, music and the concept of a band living together and having all this absurdist stuff happen. I'm in a band that was just on Underground Garage last month and works with a Bowie producer and I give that for context to what I'm about to say; we were just interviewed by an Australian music site and I was quick to cite The Monkees as an influence- to which the interviewer privately expressed surprise to me over (!). I sort of have been hoping people are getting hip to how great they really are. So, they're not a band. They're a television show about a band. That's awesome. It's a multi-media project. The guys included in The Monkees just happen to all be uber-talented musically. 

In regards to the American Idol thing... I think it has many foundations but has certainly diluted the "charisma" thing that used to separate entertainers from non-entertainers. The singers on these shows are technically sound, and do all the vocal gymnastics that all these national anthem singers do- it's all to show off technical prowess and they think that's enough. They lack soul, in my opinion. My favorite singer of all time is Otis Redding- would he have done well on these banal competition shows? I doubt that he would have. It's just a reflection of how our culture has changed. Of course, that's the mainstream- there are so many talented and genuine artists in all genres today, you just have to go looking rather than turn on your radio.

35 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

In their time the Monkees outsold the beatles and rolling stones combined.

Hippie covers are the 60s equivalent of War covers in the 40s and atomic bomb covers in the 50s  

excuse the non-topic thor page.  uploaded by accident and somehow the method by which a post can be edited to delete a photo requires some multi-level passwords and bio-metric security, because I sure as hela can't figure out how to do it  

Spider-man 68 1968.jpg

Daredevil 70 as published.jpg

Sgt. Fury 64 as pub.jpg

Thor 154 pg 3 kirby pencils.jpg

Edited by bluechip

34 minutes ago, kav said:

In their time the Monkees outsold the beatles and rolling stones combined.

Actually not true. Mike Nesmith said on Gilbert Godfried's podcast a few years ago this was something he said in passing to see if the incredulous journalists with him were going to do their research. It's possible Nez is lying about that, but he went into some length explaining this and the motivation to this because, at that time, there was so much bad press against The Monkees.