• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 - Maine Summer Vacation Home Collection

33 posts in this topic

I knew if we looked at it long enough . . . we'd get it down to a 4.5 insane.gif

sumo.gif

What happened to QC? He's got a few questions to answer . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With a sub-crease my 6.5/7.0 drops to 5.0/5.5.

I guess all the comments prove CGC's point that grading based on scans are unreliable. First, unless I have been massively duped (a distinct possibility, of course!), NONE of the books in this collection have been "improved", altered, recolored, messed with in any way.

There is no recoloring to Spidey's eyes, there is no sub crease. There is, apparently, some type of minor discoloration that can be mistaken for a sub crease. (I am not sure it is actual staining or actually a printing defect). In any event, this was noticed by CGC and it affected the grade they gave the book. Once I have it actually back in my mitts I'll post the actual CGC grade.

So, like someone said, if you want to look at it enough we can get it down to a 4 or so (or as another said, let's just burn it and be done with it). Seriously, in person this book is the freshest copy I have ever seen and I was one of people grading books at several Sothebys auctions so that is not an impression without experience with many pedigreed books that are looked at so highly.

I can say this: The graded given by CGC will make this probably the best copy in existence at that CGC grade. When the grade is announced, go take a look at the similar (or even half grade higher) copies on the Heritage archives and see if you don’t agree.

Excelsior,

Bruce

ebay: quasarcomics

QuasarComics.com

\

I guess all the comments prove CGC's point that grading based on scans are unreliable. First, unless I have been massively duped (a distinct possibility, of course!), NONE of the books in this collection have been "improved", altered, recolored, messed with in any way.

There is no recoloring to Spidey's eyes, there is no sub crease. There is, apparently, some type of minor discoloration that can be mistaken for a sub crease. (I am not sure it is actual staining or actually a printing defect). In any event, this was noticed by CGC and it affected the grade they gave the book. Once I have it actually back in my mitts I'll post the actual CGC grade.

So, like someone said, if you want to look at it enough we can get it down to a 4 or so (or as another said, let's just burn it and be done with it). Seriously, in person this book is the freshest copy I have ever seen and I was one of people grading books at several Sothebys auctions so that is not an impression without experience with many pedigreed books that are looked at so highly.

I can say this: The graded given by CGC will make this probably the best copy in existence at that CGC grade. When the grade is announced, go take a look at the similar (or even half grade higher) copies on the Heritage archives and see if you don’t agree.

Excelsior,

Bruce

ebay: quasarcomics

QuasarComics.com

\

From this I guess my 5.5 has a good chance to be right. smile.gif

Sorry for you though if you thought you had a 7.0 on your hands. frown.gifsorry.gif

Bruce,

Why make us wait? It's not like we're gonna buy it . . . 27_laughing.gif

I don't recall anyone seriously implying this book was restored in any way - read the posts again - they were all in the form of a question to you.

Obviously you are dissapointed with the grade. The question Aces brought up about colored eyes was clearly an uninformed question, and he meant no harm - not many of us have had a copy to be intimate with wink.gif And sub-creases can be extremely light . . . my guess by your comments is that you didn't even make my 6.5 guess? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, like someone said, if you want to look at it enough we can get it down to a 4 or so [that was me] (or as another said, let's just burn it and be done with it). [that wasn't 27_laughing.gif} Seriously, in person this book is the freshest copy I have ever seen and I was one of people grading books at several Sothebys auctions so that is not an impression without experience with many pedigreed books that are looked at so highly.

Sothebys never could grade for shiite sumo.gif

I'm holdin' my breath wink.gif All owner's think this about their books - step back and remember the graders' koan:

I am NOT my books! (repeat) sumo.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

The question Aces brought up about colored eyes was clearly an uninformed question, and he meant no harm - not many of us have had a copy to be intimate with And sub-creases can be extremely light . . . my guess by your comments is that you didn't even make my 6.5 guess?

Yep...

I've never owned a AF 15 and didn't know if the blue was suppose to be there. frown.gif

The earlest issues of ASM I have are 4 and 5 and by then the eyes on the costume are white.

My ASM 4 with clearly white eyes. hi.gif

949609-ASM4.jpg.949504192b7d8df3588ce96df56377d6.jpg

The question Aces brought up about colored eyes was clearly an uninformed question, and he meant no harm - not many of us have had a copy to be intimate with And sub-creases can be extremely light . . . my guess by your comments is that you didn't even make my 6.5 guess?

Yep...

I've never owned a AF 15 and didn't know if the blue was suppose to be there. frown.gif

The earlest issues of ASM I have are 4 and 5 and by then the eyes on the costume are white.

My ASM 4 with clearly white eyes. hi.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the wait! The observation about the "not being the book" is correct, especially with a high powered book such as this. I tend to think I am pretty objective on my books, I frequently down grade my own previous grade and yes, the amazing freshness of the AF#15 did color my thoughts about the grade which, after the passage of a little time, allows me to see it better and I do think CGC graded it accurately at 7.0 white.

So, this is higher than some would have thought but the book itself compares very favorably to others in slabs at that grade. By the way, that discoloration down the center is simply the interior of the front page being seen to some small extent on the outside.

The book will probably be on eBay this coming Thursday for a 10 day auction barring any especially nice offers before then.

Check the Journey Into Mystery grades in this section of the forum for some interesting thoughts about how those came back: OVERHANG unslabbed!

Also, the Avengers #1 is back and the FF#9 (still a true mystery to me on their grade on that one, even after the passage of time for added objectivity).

Finally, yes, Sotheby's did not always grade the way I saw 'em. Ask others who were there, I was almost always the most conservative grade (or second from the most conservative) in the group (check with Michael Naiman, Jim Payette of Jerry Weist).

Excelsior!

- Bruce