• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lignin removal and effects on brittleness
2 2

28 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

Yes, and moves the paper another step closer to the ISO rating of archival, which requires a very low lignin content, ph buffers and minimum thickness.  Strength of the paper increases noticeably also, we have ideas why that is happening but we will wait for the third party analysis to confirm results

Calcium carbonate has been used s a lignin replacement filler/pH buffer.

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

The page looks washed (which it clearly is).  Looks like there's been ink loss as well.  But it's definitely not as brittle.

Not washed, and not bleached.  The ink is all intact but the unfinished surface obscures it.  

Yoi went out of your way to threadcrap in the first lignen thread and seem intent to continue the practice.  

Still sore about the book you couldn’t buy because you went radio silent at payment time?  Yes that’s right I know who you are and clearly trying to grind your axe.  

Bottom line is my primary goal is to increase the paper life of the collectibles I have always held in high regard.  The adding of PH buffers is done almost exclusively by water immersion so yes the book does get washed, however washing is NOT part oF the lignin removal.  I really should have nominated you for HOS for accusing me of bleaching books.  

Looks like gloss loss and Kaolin Clay loss, revealing the the unbleached inner core. It is easy for this to happen on silver age type paper, the binders used in combination with very thin layer of clay. Also, the problem is more prevalent in relation to condition, the lower the grade, the more likely there will be unwanted loss. I would be very interested in the before and after of the outside.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

19 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

Not washed, and not bleached.  The ink is all intact but the unfinished surface obscures it.  

Yoi went out of your way to threadcrap in the first lignen thread and seem intent to continue the practice.  

Still sore about the book you couldn’t buy because you went radio silent at payment time?  Yes that’s right I know who you are and clearly trying to grind your axe.  

Bottom line is my primary goal is to increase the paper life of the collectibles I have always held in high regard.  The adding of PH buffers is done almost exclusively by water immersion so yes the book does get washed, however washing is NOT part oF the lignin removal.  I really should have nominated you for HOS for accusing me of bleaching books.  

I have a friend in Michigan who works as an archivist.  He was very interested in your research.

21 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

xD You have me confused with someone else because I have no idea what your talking about when it comes to not buying books (might want to see someone about that, you sound a little off).  I did question your chemical treatment because you suggested it wasn't easily detectable and I'm not a big fan of people doctoring up books and getting them in slabs.  But otherwise, you seem very nice.

P.S.  Aren't you the same guy that claimed on Instagram to have a copy of Double Action Comics 1 that was really a mock up and you couldn't tell the difference?

Must be two Randall Dowlings then because one bought a Manhunt #14 from me on eBay and disappeared with no payment.  I then sold it here and he reappeared with threats of making an issue of it here on the boards, which I of course welcomed.

If that wasn’t you then of course I apologize.  Strange coincidence.

Otherwise I am getting tired of your insinuations.  In the other post you suggested my bleaching books, and now suggesting I am trying to dishonestly get conserved books in blue labels.  Where did I ever say that???

I have talked about the process NOT affecting the artwork and leaving no visible damage or odour on the paper.  This has more to do with minimal severity of the process than any intent to deceive.  I have directly contacted CGC regarding any work I perform and other verification methods, etc.

That Double Action was fun.   If you think I couldnt tell what it is, 😁

20 hours ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

Looks like gloss loss and Kaolin Clay loss, revealing the the unbleached inner core. It is easy for this to happen on silver age type paper, the binders used in combination with very thin layer of clay. Also, the problem is more prevalent in relation to condition, the lower the grade, the more likely there will be unwanted loss. I would be very interested in the before and after of the outside.

The gloss and kaolin definitely took a hit in de acidification (post lignin removal).  An aqueous method (double bath) was used to add buffers and to re-fix.  The post lignin product retains gloss and kaolin (some Pics in my other related post). After Process the paper improves stability (interior pages generally move from brittle to cream or slightly brittle, and is noticeable) this impromptu experiment was to see if there was actually some more room to improve.  Zero attention was given to cosmetics, but I think the results warrant more tests and techniques. Later that evening we did a full 6 fold full paper test:

FEDAE7D4-17A8-4A43-A48B-04E0834E1CF8.jpeg

5785378F-4C19-432B-9DB5-C6F7AFD2149C.jpeg