• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on owning JIM 83 VS TTA 27 and such
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Just looking for some opinions, I'm thinking about the possibility of buying a JIM 83 and selling my TTA keys. 

Would you rather own a 1.5 - 2.0 JIM 83 or a TTA 27 4.0, TTA 35 4.5, TTA raw 44 and 45 around 3.0?

I've always wanted a JIM 83, but to finance it I'd have to sell my TTA's and probably then some considering in today's market finding a JIM 83 at GPA is a challenge. As a disclaimer I'll say up front I'll ultimately decide what means the most to me (so nobody has to give that response :baiting:) but I would still like to see what others think. 

1 hour ago, IronMan_Cave said:

I'd pick JIM83 for sure, if I can find a nice 2.0 book, maybe a 3.0-4.0 book if you add more money

JIM83 has that prestige like ToS39 

I recently sold TTA44 (and other comics) to pay for a JIM83. So, easy to answer. If you use the term "Key" then think of Tier 1 vs Tier 2. Go for Tier 1.

28 minutes ago, innocuous said:

I recently sold TTA44 (and other comics) to pay for a JIM83. So, easy to answer. If you use the term "Key" then think of Tier 1 vs Tier 2. Go for Tier 1.

Congrats! Curious about the grades you sold and the grade you bought and if you were able to cover most or all of the cost. 

I've been hunting for a JIM 83 for a couple months now, but people who are willing to sell at GPA have yet to be found. That may be the biggest roadblock. 

Edited by serling1978

8 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Congrats! Curious about the grades you sold and the grade you bought and if you were able to cover most or all of the cost. 

I've been hunting for a JIM 83 for a couple months now, but people who are willing to sell at GPA have yet to be found. That may be the biggest roadblock. 

Is anything selling at gpa right now? (Asking for a friend)

8 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

nope, nothing, GPA meaningless now, all keys I saw sold 50%-100%, or even more, over listed price

Amen. I posted in the WTB forum and I'm about to again, but the only offer I got was about $2500 over GPA. I get that the market is unusual right now but no way I can justify paying that much over GPA. 

JIM 83 is a better book than TTA27.  That is a no brainer.

But throw in TTA 35 and TTA 44 and now you have three big books, one of which( TTA 44) has a lot of growth, in my opinion.

I personally don't know any females that are SA collectors, but I think it is an area for growth. As women bring their money into the hobby, doesn't it make sense they will invest in books like TTA 44 and TOS 52?

You really need to decide what means the most to you!!! Sorry, couldn't resist after reading your disclaimer. 

I love TTA27. Never owned one, but every time I see it, I feel like it's a book lost between Atlas monsters and Marvel super Heros. 

But it's hard to disagree with everyone else. JIM83 is such a great book. Iconic cover, first appearance of a major character. It's a top 5 SA book in my opinion.  

I own a 2.0 and will likely look to upgrade at some point. 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, serling1978 said:

Just looking for some opinions, I'm thinking about the possibility of buying a JIM 83 and selling my TTA keys. 

Would you rather own a 1.5 - 2.0 JIM 83 or a TTA 27 4.0, TTA 35 4.5, TTA raw 44 and 45 around 3.0?

I've always wanted a JIM 83, but to finance it I'd have to sell my TTA's and probably then some considering in today's market finding a JIM 83 at GPA is a challenge. As a disclaimer I'll say up front I'll ultimately decide what means the most to me (so nobody has to give that response :baiting:) but I would still like to see what others think. 

I chased Jim 83 and lost it repeatedly on Ebay and other auctions sites between 2014 and 2018. It is one of those crazy cool books with such an iconic cover that every time one comes up there is so much competition to grab it. I finally picked up a copy a little more than 2 years ago and it is my favorite book in my collection, I genuinely enjoy owning it. I would rather own the low grade 83 you suggested over the books you listed for trade hands down. TTA 27, 35 and 44 are all awesome books (44 is one of my favorite covers) and parting with things you actually enjoy is not fun. TTA 27 and 35 are also so tough because it is almost like the character is split between those 2 books. 

Thor has that Kirby excellence going for it for older fans (and me), The Simonson run in the 80's is off the charts and in the last ten years they have made some of the best storylines as well. This makes it likely that there is more to build on in the future, comics and otherwise. Ant Man and the Wasp are awesome characters and played a key role in the early years of Marvel but his best storylines both silver and modern have typically needed Ultron and or The Avengers.

Best of luck in your decision-making process!

I would also rather have JIM #83...out of curiosity, are your TTA keys also selling for above GPA right now?

If so, the transactions may end up being a wash (so to say) if you're able to sell your TTA keys for more than current GPA.

My gut says that JIM #83 is selling for more over GPA than the TTA keys are though... :frown:

Good luck, regardless of what you decide to do!

Edited by silverseeker
Added well-wishes to the OP.