• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy 83rd Birthday to Superman. Must be something wrong here Action 1 was not out in April ?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Golden age books typically had a 1-2 month release date prior to the cover date. Here’s a back cover of an Action 1 date stamped April 15. 

F7F7C849-4858-48CB-A339-ED0B6CCC7D7E.jpeg

So it got out before April 18th from this pic. I thought it was out in may not April  but i dont collect them by the way the came out. Did you see the crazy price on the Brittle MM4 May be a cartoon of text that says 'LOT #15381 Jump to GO SOLD ON APR 19, 2021 FOR: $21,600.00 Marvel Mystery Comics #4 (Timely, 1940) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Brittle pages.... Click the image to load the highest resolution version. GUNIVERALGR 1.5 第上I康 MARVEL CCACS L0C 10 HUMAN TORCH KA-ZAR GREAT THE ANGEL SUB-MARINER Other Great Features DEATHO RAJDER FUS-MARINER'

27 minutes ago, woowoo said:

So it got out before April 18th from this pic. I thought it was out in may not April  but i dont collect them by the way the came out. Did you see the crazy price on the Brittle MM4 May be a cartoon of text that says 'LOT #15381 Jump to GO SOLD ON APR 19, 2021 FOR: $21,600.00 Marvel Mystery Comics #4 (Timely, 1940) CGC FR/GD 1.5 Brittle pages.... Click the image to load the highest resolution version. GUNIVERALGR 1.5 第上I康 MARVEL CCACS L0C 10 HUMAN TORCH KA-ZAR GREAT THE ANGEL SUB-MARINER Other Great Features DEATHO RAJDER FUS-MARINER'

Distribution of any book from any time period would depend on the order size of the retailer, location, etc which is why some books are date stamped slightly earlier or even a bit later. 

yup, big money on that MM4. Subby finally garnering long, overdue respect. 

18 hours ago, catman76 said:

Action Comics #1 was cover dated June 1938, but was for sale on the newsstands April 18th, 1938. That on sale date was given in all the Superman copyright infringement lawsuits against other publishers.

I had also read in Larry Tye’s book that they did that over concerns that if it did not sell well, and if it sat on the newsstand for awhile, that it would still look ‘fresh’ in June.

Link to book below:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/181333/superman-by-larry-tye/9780812980776?ref=PRHB7BD76FBDB&aid=14813&linkid=PRHB7BD76FBDB