• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mystery 4 crazy price Brittle
2 2

54 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Just hard to imagine i have had 5 or 6 of these MM 4 25 years ago and they where hard sell. I bought this thing for half that last year and only bid cause i had a Buzz and said it never sell that cheap just want to bid for bragging rights  :makepoint: :facepalm: 

Marvel mystery 2.jpg

I’m with you, nutty price. I don’t think anything should be a surprise anymore though. Or can go the other route and just be constantly surprised 😁

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Just hard to imagine i have had 5 or 6 of these MM 4 25 years ago and they where hard sell. I bought this thing for half that last year and only bid cause i had a Buzz and said it never sell that cheap just want to bid for bragging rights  :makepoint: :facepalm: 

Marvel mystery 2.jpg

Great book. I don’t know how mmc2 vs 4 compare as far as desirability but almost everything marvel related is well up from 12 months ago. Last 3 months have been insane. 

6 hours ago, woowoo said:

Marvel mystery 2.jpg

Great book, @woowoo. Why this never got a classic cover designation is beyond me

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Great book, @woowoo. Why this never got a classic cover designation is beyond me

Hey Buddy just can not see a Brittle 4 selling for 21k when i just bought a 2 in 4.5 for half that :screwy: I know 2 is more than double in price guide but first Sub cover could be it. I guess i send my 2 back to Vincent and get 42k back for my return :whistle:See the source image

Edited by woowoo

11 minutes ago, sagii said:

I think the biggest take away is when it comes to important and or rare /scarce/ seldom offered gold , PQ is becoming less of a deal breaker to a lot of collectors. 

If they try and keep these Brittle books as long as some of us have when they go to look at it well

mm.thumb.jpg.18a43fa8a77598467a006eced026a5a7.jpg

See the source image

In all seriousness, the cover to Marvel 4 cover may very well be the greatest comic book cover of all time. The  unexaggerated rendering of the Submariner makes him appear like an ordinary man out for revenge and righting the wrongs caused by a senseless war, but wait! This human avenger, in an expertly rendered pulpy and grim style, is not wearing a shirt and he has slightly pointed ears! He comes across as a mythological god sent down from the heavens to avenge the enemies of the sea, his domain. No emotion on his face, and the water, the subtle blue skyscape, the grim seriousness of the situation, the tilted black death raider, the fear on the females face...they make for an unbelievable work of art. No other cover has bettered the battle of good versus evil as well as Marvel 4 and in such a totally realistic and unexaggerated fashion. We should be thankful that Martin Goodman gave us at least several comics in 1939 and 1940 that reflected the style of the pulps. This was only made possible because he was a pulp publisher and understood that artform. After this brief period of adult art, Goodman discarded this approach so as to mirror the other comics on the market which were cartoony and more unrealistic in nature.

18 minutes ago, Ameri said:
In all seriousness, the cover to Marvel 4 cover may very well be the greatest comic book cover of all time. The  unexaggerated rendering of the Submariner makes him appear like an ordinary man out for revenge and righting the wrongs caused by a senseless war, but wait! This human avenger, in an expertly rendered pulpy and grim style, is not wearing a shirt and he has slightly pointed ears! He comes across as a mythological god sent down from the heavens to avenge the enemies of the sea, his domain. No emotion on his face, and the water, the subtle blue skyscape, the grim seriousness of the situation, the tilted black death raider, the fear on the females face...they make for an unbelievable work of art. No other cover has bettered the battle of good versus evil as well as Marvel 4 and in such a totally realistic and unexaggerated fashion. We should be thankful that Martin Goodman gave us at least several comics in 1939 and 1940 that reflected the style of the pulps. This was only made possible because he was a pulp publisher and understood that artform. After this brief period of adult art, Goodman discarded this approach so as to mirror the other comics on the market which were cartoony and more unrealistic in nature.

:x Well said. Marvel Mystery 5 is pretty pulpy as well. Love them both. The first five issues have that Goodman pulpy style to it. Then with issue 6 you get a different feel. Starting after issue 6, Goodman was able to settle on Meriden, CT as his publishing site so perhaps that had something to do with it. 

8 hours ago, Ameri said:

And it surprisingly is a schomburg cover. I love his covers generally, but get tired of the cartoony enemy soldiers at the bottom

E8E75F43-B7D2-4428-941D-B9DD0C5D272F.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 hours ago, sagii said:

I think the biggest take away is when it comes to important and or rare /scarce/ seldom offered gold , PQ is becoming less of a deal breaker to a lot of collectors. 

PQ should never be ignored.  Brittle/tan/brown are a complete non starter for me.

The seller did incredibly well for a book in that condition.  

19 minutes ago, Primetime said:

:x Well said. Marvel Mystery 5 is pretty pulpy as well. Love them both. The first five issues have that Goodman pulpy style to it. Then with issue 6 you get a different feel. Starting after issue 6, Goodman was able to settle on Meriden, CT as his publishing site so perhaps that had something to do with it. 

MM 9 is a Better cover to me #4 is just a Sub Cover #9 has both. Do not care what anyone says that book never should have sold for 21k or even half :screwy: I think people that don't understand comics buying comics is a no no ? Like me trying to buy poke man cards with 100k to invest.  I wind up with See the source imagewhen i try and sell