• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mystery 4 crazy price Brittle
2 2

54 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

Action comics 1 and books of that caliber are held as an investment class by many. Similar to the rare honus Wagner. These specific assets are held in similar regards as far as investing as buying a painting etc. 

there are some unique alternative investment portfolios out there that allow you to pay into assets like this. The question really is whether it’s remained limited to just the action comics 1 or expanded to say amazing fantasy 15, fantastic four 1 etc. 

baseball cards have expanded over the decades, for example portfolio managers do not have an issue with money being put into the purchase of say a Mickey mantle rookie card. 

As I stated money is looking for new places to grow. There is concern the stock market is too frothy and not a great place to invest in at the moment. Collectibles have gained steam. 

The fact of the matter is a money manager could buy every amazing fantasy 15 on the market tomorrow and it would be a rounding error as far as portfolio exposure. The quantity is just so limited. 

Maybe in theory they could do that, but I've never heard of it. They don't care about collectibles. Their goal is high liquidity and low risk; comic books are the opposite. I don't think there's a money manager on the planet who's pushing comic books unless it's some guy who got his CFM certificate by mailing in Cheerios box tops and now works out of his parents' basement looking for clients on reddit.

32 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

Action comics 1 and books of that caliber are held as an investment class by many. Similar to the rare honus Wagner. These specific assets are held in similar regards as far as investing as buying a painting etc. 

there are some unique alternative investment portfolios out there that allow you to pay into assets like this. The question really is whether it’s remained limited to just the action comics 1 or expanded to say amazing fantasy 15, fantastic four 1 etc. 

baseball cards have expanded over the decades, for example portfolio managers do not have an issue with money being put into the purchase of say a Mickey mantle rookie card. 

As I stated money is looking for new places to grow. There is concern the stock market is too frothy and not a great place to invest in at the moment. Collectibles have gained steam. 

The fact of the matter is a money manager could buy every amazing fantasy 15 on the market tomorrow and it would be a rounding error as far as portfolio exposure. The quantity is just so limited. 

Money manager probably would have an issue with one of his clients investing in baseball cards and comics.  Especially when the client cashes in one of his manager's mutual funds and then cuts him out of a commission by buying from an auction house directly.  

25 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe in theory they could do that, but I've never heard of it. They don't care about collectibles. Their goal is high liquidity and low risk; comic books are the opposite. I don't think there's a money manager on the planet who's pushing comic books unless it's some guy who got his CFM certificate by mailing in Cheerios box tops and now works out of his parents' basement looking for clients on reddit.

I can guarantee you that there are funds available for these types of investments. I have clients who are invested in some of these. Mind you historically the bulk of the money has gone towards artwork but the funds are diversified into other collectibles. 

have you seen the returns on owning a Picasso and other works of art. Same with honus Wagner t card. 

19 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Money manager probably would have an issue with one of his clients investing in baseball cards and comics.  Especially when the client cashes in one of his manager's mutual funds and then cuts him out of a commission by buying from an auction house directly.  

I don’t think you quite grasp the way these funds work. The individual doesn’t own the actual asset. They own a percentage of everything in the fund. 

and yes as I said before the cards and comics were very limited to a select handful of them. Even before the craze of the last 2 years the prices of different collectibles have went up significantly. 

I never said they are out there buying an iron man 55 or ultimate fallout 4. Im saying they may be expanding the list of assets they are willing to look at. Just a guess on my part but historically that’s how these things go. 

and a Mickey mantle rookie card is quite liquid. You should see how many sell just on eBay each week. 

And just as an illustration here is an accredited investment fund that deals in investment level wine. 

https://www.sommeliercompany.com/investing-in-wine-investment-fund-asset-management-company

Is this happening in comics. Who knows. Usually these funds are for investors with deep pockets. But wine, artwork and many other collectibles are respected investment classes that have seen tremendous returns

all anyone knows is that far more money has been pouring into comics than out. Where the net increase is coming from is a guessing game at this time.  

10 hours ago, Vince G said:

I posted this comment on a different thread but think it's relevant here:

------

My question has always been, where's the money coming from?  This has been driving me crazy for the past month or two but I think I partially answered my own question after doing some research.  I think part of what we're seeing is the 401k penalty-free withdrawal provision of the 2020 Cares Act.  I did not know this, but there is no penalty for withdrawing up to 100k, and you can spread the income taxes on the withdraw over three years.  Additionally, if you can pay the full amount you withdrew back, you can claim a refund on those taxes.  So, it could very well be that some are pulling money and splurging, particularly on collectibles, but others may be buying with the hope of reselling at a profit, before replacing their initial withdrawal.  Then again, maybe it's just all those investors who cashed out on Bitcoin and GameStop then decided to throw some money into comics?  

If you're interested in a short high-level blurb about the 401k provisions in the Cares Act, here's a link:  https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/cashing-out-401k-covid-19 

-----

In addition, I've talked to a couple financial peeps I know and they tell me that some of their fellow brokers/portfolio managers are telling investors to put about 10% of their portfolios into collectibles as a hedge against the market.  Makes sense with the market at an all time high and 1% yields on bonds, that investors are looking for other places to make money (including digital currency).   Essentially, comics are now lumped into that alternative asset class of investments, which means speculation becomes part of the game.  Definitely a bummer in my mind, especially for me as one who collects for the love of the books, and as one who had hoped to procure a nice gold key or two that have been on my want list forever.

I use my unemployment money 😂 and money aid from the government.

I just went on unemployment and claimed Covid was the cause and laid off because of Covid. I make $600 a week more then I made Actually working. 😂 And $1400 went right too comics and stocks. So that's where the money is coming from. The people who are my age also are not investing into the 'traditional' stock market. They are buying tangible items for insurance. Like gamestop. After that shindig everyone on this one reddit post who made gamestop jump up all pulled out of the stock market after we knew it's rigged and only set up for billionaire's and politicians. It's okay for Warren Buffett to talk about it and laugh about it in an interview regarding pushing the prices up but once normal people do it (like myself) we all get banned from robinhood or removed from being able to trade stocks? Why is it rules for the not for me. That's why people are buying tangible items with historical significance

Edited by BlackTerror98

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I mean... I made $6k+ in 2 days selling books I got for dirty cheap Collection I payed $1100 for... It's all selling through my Instagram. I make more money selling and buying comics then I do with the stock market. The stock market is not a tangible item. People have no faith in the government ( I don't ) or the stock market since it's all rigged like everything is now a days. I made insane amounts of money through gamestop. I saw it on reddit and played along and I made $15k+. But now I am banned from robinhood for taking part in what billionaire's do and our politicians. So I realized with the stock market has ceiling you can not break otherwise you get banned or basically removed. It's okay for them to do it but not okay for the average person to do it and they get punished for it?. Why would I ever reinvest in the stock market after knowing it's rigged or that I am being played and am not allow to do what I want to make more money by driving up the price through purchasing 1 stock just like what Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and other billionaires do and openly admit to in interviews? They know what's going to go up and know how to milk it all I am doing is helping them get richer.

As someone who s 22. I only invest in tangible historic items like WW2 memorabilia, Comic Books (Golden age war covers and marvel/dc keys), Gold and palladium. People my age invest in tangible items for the insurance that it's physically ours with no strings attached. It's a part of history and I know I can make my money back or more. I lost all faith in the stock market and am not alone. On reddit 118k people around my age feel the same way and it's growing every day gaining more and more members who are pulling out of the market due to inflation, the government printing money, the insane bs taxes that are being passed on the market and not being able to do what the billionaire's do. It's a joke. 

Edited by BlackTerror98

8 minutes ago, BlackTerror98 said:

I mean... I made $6k+ in 2 days selling books I got for dirty cheap Collection I payed $1100 for... It's all selling through my Instagram. I make more money selling and buying comics then I do with the stock market. The stock market is not a tangible item. People have no faith in the government ( I don't ) or the stock market since it's all rigged like everything is now a days. I made insane amounts of money through gamestop. I saw it on reddit and played along and I made $15k+. But now I am banned from robinhood for taking part in what billionaire's do and our politicians. So I realized with the stock market has ceiling you can not break otherwise you get banned or basically removed. It's okay for them to do it but not okay for the average person to do it and they get punished for it?. Why would I ever reinvest in the stock market after knowing it's rigged or that I am being played and am not allow to do what I want to make more money but driving up the price through purchasing 1 stock just like what Warren Buffett made a comment on in an interview? They know what's going to go up and know how to milk it all I am doing is helping them get richer.

As someone who s 22. I only invest in tangible historic items like WW2 memorabilia, Comic Books (Golden age war covers and marvel/dc keys), Gold and palladium. People my age invest in tangible items for the insurance that it's physically ours with not strings attached. It's a part of history and I know I can make my money back or more. I lost all faith in the stock market and am not alone. On reddit 118k people around my age feel the same way and it's growing every day gaining more and more members who are pulling out of the market due to inflation, the government printing money, the insane bs taxes that are being passed on the market and not being able to do what the billionaire's do. It's a joke. 

Sure, you can make money buying wholesale and selling retail if you're willing to put in the time and beat the bushes for collections, but then you're a dealer; that's a different scenario. I've made money on some comics and lost money on others; I can say the same about stocks. I'm guessing you haven't been collecting long enough to know what a downturn in the hobby is like; you've only seen the good times.

4 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't get it. I don't even buy books with cream-to-off-white pages. I've bought raw books that turned out to have C/OW pages, and I don't throw them away or anything like that, but I've never purchased a slabbed book with a cream-to-off-white designation.

3 hours ago, sagii said:

I love my cream to off whites (:

I own a couple GA keys with LT/OW pages but in general I look for C/OW as a starting point for GA books. I think once you get out of the 1950’s books everything from 1960’s up should be OW/W to white. I’m much more PQ aware in recent years.

I don’t think I’d buy a straight up cream GA book but if you leave out all the C/OW GA books you sure are limiting yourself. I think people forget too it’s not just about what condition a book is in when you buy it but how well you keep it stored. I’ve seen a number of CGC books with white pages on the label but probably won’t get that on regrading due to poor storage since then. On the flip side a light tan or cream PQ can be maintained/slowed if you store it correctly. It took 70 to 80 years to get where it’s at with likely uneven storage so you can slow the process by just taking care of it. Brittle is something else because it’s in final stages and can easily fall apart with handling so good storage will only help so much at that point. Forget rust. Maybe not a popular choice by everyone but replace those staples!

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Sure, you can make money buying wholesale and selling retail if you're willing to put in the time and beat the bushes for collections, but then you're a dealer; that's a different scenario. I've made money on some comics and lost money on others; I can say the same about stocks. I'm guessing you haven't been collecting long enough to know what a downturn in the hobby is like; you've only seen the good times.

Yeah those are pretty grim. Lots of drinking our sorrows away too...

CEF1B164-DE73-428F-89C8-9AEF4EFDDB0E.gif.88977109f7320903428ce645fe92f141.gif

6F00930B-AD07-4D28-9436-BF28829B4082.gif.da3b4771873d9f3eeefdd9b196002c65.gif

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

I own a couple GA keys with LT/OW pages but in general I look for C/OW as a starting point for GA books. I think once you get out of the 1950’s books everything from 1960’s up should be OW/W to white. I’m much more PQ aware in recent years.

I don’t think I’d buy a straight up cream GA book but if you leave out all the C/OW GA books you sure are limiting yourself. I think people forget too it’s not just about what condition a book is in when you buy it but how well you keep it stored. I’ve seen a number of CGC books with white pages on the label but probably won’t get that on regrading due to poor storage since then. On the flip side a light tan or cream PQ can be maintained/slowed if you store it correctly. It took 70 to 80 years to get where it’s at with likely uneven storage so you can slow the process by just taking care of it. Brittle is something else because it’s in final stages and can easily fall apart with handling so good storage will only help so much at that point. Forget rust. Maybe not a popular choice by everyone but replace those staples!

I agree that rusty staples should be replaced, but unfortunately the market punishes replaced staples more than it punishes rust.

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I have been collecting since I was 9 so 13 years of collecting! And a downturn is like the stock market. It's doesn't go down. It gets cheap!