• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another example of Shaken Comic Syndrome? Poor Shield-Wizard #3..!

8 posts in this topic

I looked at the notes on this book and I was the pregrader. "Edge Wear" was one of the notes I took on it. It must have had moderate edge wear when it was submitted for me to write that note on it.

West

I can see the edge in the "red" area not coming from being slabbed, but you honestly think the very top right corner wasn't damaged from the encapsulation? I look at the spine roll/shift to the upper right, and it appears as if it is SCS. I just hate to see that on books from 1941.

I looked at the notes on this book and I was the pregrader. "Edge Wear" was one of the notes I took on it. It must have had moderate edge wear when it was submitted for me to write that note on it.

West

It's fairly easy for me to look at all four corners of the book, particularly the bottom left and top right and detemine that impact after the book was encapsulated caused the damage to the top right corner in the blue area, previous "edge wear" or not. That book is no longer a 4.5 in my opinion. CGC'd books need to be carefully packaged for shipping to prevent this. I don't know if a redesign of the inner sleeve would help or not, but proper packing would have lessened the chances of this occuring. I always surround the case in a lot of bubble wrap and then I make sur that the case is surrounded on all side by packing material so that it will not shift in the box. I charge a bit more for shipping, but usually these books have a higher price tag so it's worth it. I wonder if books with spine rolls are more prone to edge and corner damage, or if that can be compensated for by how tightly the book is sealed in that inner well? Also, I've heard that PGX has solved this problem with a re -design of their inner well, does any one have any info on that?