• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Providence: The H.P. Lovecraft Thread
3 3

272 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2022 at 11:45 PM, asimovpulps said:

<cross posting given the Lovecraft focus>

Was waiting until I was completely done, and today I am...

I present, every Lovecraft cover story in the pulps! I'll get a full group shot at some point, but figured I'd share my excitement in real time.

In chronological order:

1. Weird Tales - May-June-July 1924 - Imprisoned With the Pharaohs (ghost written for Houdini)
  2. Astounding Stories - February 1936 - At the Mountains of Madness
  3. Astounding Stories - June 1936 - The Shadow Out of Time
  4. Weird Tales - May 1942 Canadian variant - The Shadow Over Innsmouth
  5. Weird Tales - September 1952 - Hallowe'en in a Suburb

PXL_20220817_234438182.thumb.jpg.d275231c8c8c8a30632da556f9cdc4d8.jpg

PXL_20221108_043142947.thumb.jpg.14b7e0741d532449c74ee3b0b190c285.jpg

I'm still looking for that canadian weird tales...

Here's a couple of other rare items that will be in the Saturday night auction at this year's upcoming Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023, held at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL).

First is a carbon typescript of Donald Wandrei's "The Sea Change" (published in the May 1933 issue of Weird Tales as "Spawn of the Sea"). This copy was apparently sent to members of the Lovecraft Circle for comments; per pencil notations on the first page it was sent to H.P. Lovecraft, then on to August Derleth, then on to Clark Ashton Smith, then back to Wandrei. The typescript consists of 19 pages, each in a protective plastic sheet, placed in a three ring binder.

Second is a copy of the May 1927 issue of "Midwest Student", published by the Midwest Student Association in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This issue contains a weird poem by Donald Wandrei, “The Corpse Speaks” (later collected in 1964 in Wandrei’s collection of poems, “Poems for Midnight,” published by Arkham House). It's signed by Wandrei on the contents page.

Wandrei Sea Change & Midwest Student.jpg

Here's another of the Weird Tales which arrived yesterday, which will be auctioned in the Saturday night auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL).

This one is the October 1933 issue, which among other tales features Robert E. Howard's Conan novelette, "The Pool of the Black One," as well as a reprint of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Festival" and Clark Ashton Smith's, "The Seed of the Sepulcher."

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 1.jpg

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 2.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 7:00 PM, Pulpvault said:

Here's a couple of other rare items that will be in the Saturday night auction at this year's upcoming Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023, held at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL).

First is a carbon typescript of Donald Wandrei's "The Sea Change" (published in the May 1933 issue of Weird Tales as "Spawn of the Sea"). This copy was apparently sent to members of the Lovecraft Circle for comments; per pencil notations on the first page it was sent to H.P. Lovecraft, then on to August Derleth, then on to Clark Ashton Smith, then back to Wandrei. The typescript consists of 19 pages, each in a protective plastic sheet, placed in a three ring binder.

Second is a copy of the May 1927 issue of "Midwest Student", published by the Midwest Student Association in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This issue contains a weird poem by Donald Wandrei, “The Corpse Speaks” (later collected in 1964 in Wandrei’s collection of poems, “Poems for Midnight,” published by Arkham House). It's signed by Wandrei on the contents page.

Wandrei Sea Change & Midwest Student.jpg

Neat modern art cover👍