• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST AUCTION HOUSE FOR SELLERS OF GOLDEN AGE BOOKS
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Any thoughts of who you like best with sales of golden age books valued at 5k or more? After all the fees do any top the others with your final profit on books? Heritage, comic-link, ComicConnect, ebay...etc?

Thanks for any input/experiences.

1 hour ago, dikran1 said:

Probably Heritage for GA. They tend to get the most eyeballs and deepest pockets. But that 20% buyer's premium could limit what goes into your pocket...

I think you can take out the word "could" haha. As far as I know, there's been no discernible proof showing books sell for a premium in Heritage auctions, as opposed to a Comiclink or Comicconnect auction. At least not looking at comic sales as a whole. So yeah, I have no idea personally why people use them, knowing you're losing roughly 30% on your hammer price. With that being said, they're one of the most respectable auction houses with solid results, so can't knock them for that.

10 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I think you can take out the word "could" haha. As far as I know, there's been no discernible proof showing books sell for a premium in Heritage auctions, as opposed to a Comiclink or Comicconnect auction. At least not looking at comic sales as a whole. So yeah, I have no idea personally why people use them, knowing you're losing roughly 30% on your hammer price. With that being said, they're one of the most respectable auction houses with solid results, so can't knock them for that.

Well in terms of harder to find quality GA books, Heritage has really dug into that niche and the other 2 major houses are playing catch up, of course this just my personal opinion as a buyer of GA Disney books. For hot book of the day in any other age, ComicLink for me.

3 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

Well in terms of harder to find quality GA books, Heritage has really dug into that niche and the other 2 major houses are playing catch up, of course this just my personal opinion as a buyer of GA Disney books. For hot book of the day in any other age, ComicLink for me.

Yeah that's an interesting perspective for sure, and you may be right. Sounds like you've definitely had an easier time finding the Disney books as you say. C-Link and CC seem to have a pretty wide range of golden age books in all auctions so I'd be interested to see if there was a way to prove Heritage actually sells on the average harder to find books.

4 minutes ago, 143ksk said:

I was very happy with the results of auctioning my teen books through Heritage. They sold for about 30% more than I anticipated.

What are teen books and what did they sell for?

Heritage has the 20% buyers premium although they will work with you on the sellers fee. This buyers premium has always been a point of contention with other auction houses but as of late I've noticed Comic Connect beginning to charge a 17.5 % buyers premium on many of their books up on auction. Heritage also offers a great database, high res expandable photos as well as storing your purchases until you ask for them to be shipped out which can save a lot on shipping as I use FedEx overnight. Customer service is excellent and they consistently appear to get top dollar on GA..

I'm not sure that for the seller, it makes that much of a difference between the big 3.  They've all put up big numbers selling mega keys.  I know people that have had good success with each one and others that have gotten mediocre results from each one.  As a buyer, I personally prefer ComicConnect.  I thought they handled Jon Berk's collection pretty well and they've had some exciting auctions (the Church Zips and Fiction House books, etc.).

I think most collectors follow all 3 and go where the books are.  But I could be wrong.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
repetitiveness

As for the buyer's premium...I don't think it affects the seller at all.  If there was no buyer's premium, your book probably would have hammered at the actual amount before the BP.  So what difference does it make?  In fact, I think it actually might drive the price of the book higher than normal, which benefits the seller.  hm