• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Dunno, Should You Buy This Schulz Peanuts Strip?

21 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

I am not a Schulz expert, so I yield to the list, but I see mmmmaybe four or five yellow flags. Anyone better-informed want to chime in? I am happy to be convinced it's legit.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/101903185_charles-schulz-peanuts-daily-comic-strip

I only took a quick look on a phone but I don’t see the copyright on it nor do I see residue from where it was. I also don’t see a fold in the piece which was very typical for the time. Also not from 3/19/1971  haven’t check to see if they have the year off.  I looked around several years and couldn’t find a 3/19/?? That matches that one.  Linus with glasses first appeared in 1962 so I went back that far and couldn’t find the strip.  Picture below shows the paste-up of the copyright that appears on most strips.  It also shows the fold for the daily strips.

CF0DD52C-4835-425C-811B-CB4117EDA58C.png

Edited by batman_fan

I'm not an expert either but a few things I notice are:

1. If you look at Heritage examples for 1962, you'll see that Lucy's hair is always inked (brushed?) with different tones of black.  In some spots it's lighter, in other areas it's darker - it's never uniform black. This example is uniform black.

2.  The gallery stamp appears to be period.  

3.  The dimensions of the photo of the reverse don't match that of the front.  Now that could be that it's a close up portion of the back and not the entire back of the strip.

I'm not liking either that there's no fold...are there any examples from the same era out there that aren't folded?

If this is a forgery, it's one of the better ones that I've seen.

Edited by pemart1966

10 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I confess to knowing almost nothing on the subject, but the way the feet are cut off on panel 2 is a bit odd. Could this be a copy from something else that was bigger?

They're cut off like that in The Complete Peanuts...

1 hour ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I’m certainly not a Peanuts expert, but I’d noticed the same thing as Batman-fan. And if you follow Aokartman’s link, that daily did have a copyright. Your link doesn’t, and there’s no discoloration in that spot. I guess it could be restoration? Could that sort of stain be lifted that well?

Possibly or the image just doesn't show it, same as the crease.  Wish the image of the back showed the full back so you could potentially see the crease.  I was able to overlay the picture of the printed piece and the auction piece and they are exactly the same.  Looking at the org auctioning it off is definitely a bit scary.  Feedback is pretty sketchy and the response to negative feedback is off-putting.

Edited by batman_fan

25 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Possibly or the image just doesn't show it, same as the crease.  Wish the image of the back showed the full back so you could potentially see the crease.  I was able to overlay the picture of the printed piece and the auction piece and they are exactly the same.  Looking at the org auctioning it off is definitely a bit scary.  Feedback is pretty sketchy and the response to negative feedback is off-putting.

I think it's real BUT I think it's been restored.  The paper coloring has the "washed" look, that mild yellow tint.  It's missing the copyright but the stamps look right.  And there is definitely a reason why this is listed at super sketchy auctioneers rather than Heritage where similar pieces have sold for $14,000+.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Do you see any signs of the residue from the copyright attachment?  Looking at the images you posted, it looks legit.

Were you able to find out when it was actually published? How did it compare? 
Nice price.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Do you see any signs of the residue from the copyright attachment?  Looking at the images you posted, it looks legit.

That's 1972.  You might check the first panel left side vertical for residue from the syndicate strip, or it may have been added to a later stat.  David

Also, I see a version online with an extra dot in the word balloon, panel 1.

snoopy630.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added