• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded books - read or collected or both?

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

Two posts on same day, I must be board(bad pun)

I've got about 200+ slabbed CGC comics, I've read everyone before slabbing or buying the slab. My curiosity is this. How may collectors have actually read the issue of the slab they have? Not actual slabbed book, but same issue.

Regards

I read most of mine that are in slabs albeit it might have been years. As prices have gone up I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who have read their slabbed books is higher than it used to be! I have about 30 books I feel I need to get slabbed now just because of their value. I may also want to sell to upgrade other books and it seems slabs grab a larger premium than they used to. That will soon equal 30 more books that are slabbed that I have read before.

Another caveat you may want to add is "Does the collector of slabs read comics as well?" Some people will say they have not read the comics in their slabs but they may also not read comics :ohnoez:

I have about the same amount of graded books as well. ... When it comes to Silver Age, that ASM 31-33 “If this be my Destiny” storyline is fire! I purchased the books graded and didn’t read the actual graded comic, but needed to revisit that read again. I got a copy of an Omnibus ASM and got my fix there. I also find that low grade reader copies fill the void cause there’s nothing like opening up the real deal. Same with my Walking Dead #1, I got a beautiful raw copy and pressed and graded for a 9.8. Didn’t wanna even touch it with my bare hands and I just got the TPB and read the series in that format.

So it’s VERY rare that I read the exact actual graded book, instead I find a substitute in a reprint, omnibus, or TPB edition. .... Oh, and I’ve never cracked a CGC case unless it was to get a verified signature. ..... but that just my humble opinion. 

One experience i liked a lot was exactly 10 years ago,i had a asm 3 cgc 4.0,comic con was due the next day so i craked it open,hoooo the good smell of well aged books,read it with delight.next day i got it signed by stan lee(he was very ocupied,but i talked to him and took the time to answer me and smiled)then cgc witness counter was just on the left got it cgc ss 4.0 a month and a half later.since then and before i craked a few slab but that one was the most enjoyable one:luhv:like flying in the air lol

SGfLeei.gif

Edited by Namtak

6 hours ago, TheBigJ said:

Hello,

Two posts on same day, I must be board(bad pun)

I've got about 200+ slabbed CGC comics, I've read everyone before slabbing or buying the slab. My curiosity is this. How may collectors have actually read the issue of the slab they have? Not actual slabbed book, but same issue.

Regards

Well I mostly collect golden age books for my slabs and I do so for the covers, which I adore. Honestly, golden age books are not the easiest to read. I do have slabs of modern books which I did read either in a trade or in another method. Like I have the first appearance of Tommy Elliot and Phantom X and I have those issues in trades where I read them originally. I also have the first appearance of the Cosmic Ghost Rider slabbed and I will read that story digitally. 

So yeah, for my "modern" slabs, I have that issue in some form to read. But not for all my golden age slabs.

Edit: for the silver age books that I had slabbed like Daredevil 1, Brave and the Bold 30 and Fantastic Four 5, I did read the comics before hand.

Edited by William-James88

Admittedly I have a few slabs that I haven't read, usually they are the only copies that I've owned. I have yet to come across affordable reader copies. 

It's more likely the case that I have multiples of something or designated reader copies but it's true I have collected items I haven't read. 

You guys are more generous than I am.  I'm willing to bet that your average "haul-n-flip" Youtuber has no clue about the writers, artists, and creators behind the books they're buying.  It's all about the MCU.

Edited by RonS2112

I’ve read every slabbed comic I own, whether hot off the newsstand or from the LCS, in a collected edition or more lately in digital format.