• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese shops
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Do they have manga from the 50s and 60s?  Early first printings etc?  I tried looking in Japan years ago, but never found a store that carried “original printings.”  It was explained that manga has been reprinted so many times that almost nobody has made a market for original/first printings like we do here.  Or perhaps it only goes on in some rarified books stores in a Tokyo?

1 hour ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Mandarake is supposed to be amazing 

yes! in tokyo, there is an 8 story MANDARAKE that has a whole floor devoted to manga. they have old ones, recent ones, you name it. they also have toys from all eras there, and some are ridiculously expensive. it's definitely worth a visit. i was there in december 2019, just before the pandemic started. it's near jimbouchou. its called mandarake complex and the akihabara subway station is the closest one. there are also other locations both in tokyo and osaka. 

Mandarake has locations all over Japan-- the Shibuya store in Tokyo is six floors underground and they have a huge collection of vintage Manga and an incredibly helpful staff-- it's always my first stop on a trip there.   Mandarake also does mail order and you can opt to have the site translated to English:

MANDARAKE

I order from them about a dozen times a year-- they ship DHL to the States and I usually get my package in four days.

If you're venturing outside of Tokyo-- the one in Nagoya also has a HUGE vintage Manga collection.

28 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

Mandarake has locations all over Japan-- the Shibuya store in Tokyo is six floors underground and they have a huge collection of vintage Manga and an incredibly helpful staff-- it's always my first stop on a trip there.   Mandarake also does mail order and you can opt to have the site translated to English:

MANDARAKE

I order from them about a dozen times a year-- they ship DHL to the States and I usually get my package in four days.

If you're venturing outside of Tokyo-- the one in Nagoya also has a HUGE vintage Manga collection.

that areally cool disinfection  protocol they use

1 hour ago, AndyFish said:

MANDARAKE

Same here - also got my last order in 4 days! Amazing.

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, threkjshanelle said:

Howdy, does anyone know of any any comicbook shops in Japan?

Mandarake has a section of American titles in Japanese. But those might be gone. It’s known and really popular. Haven’t been in a few years. Some foreign Spawns were there