• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a fair market value for Wolverine Limited Series #1 cgc 9.8

80 posts in this topic

I'm looking at the prices online and they seem to have jumped to crazy levels even from the prices they were a few months ago. The best price I have seen so far for a graded 9.8 white pages is $1200. Is this the worst time to buy or will I be even looking at paying way more in the next year or two. This is something I plan to keep for good so if I have to wait a year or two till the market settles I would be willing to do that but then the last thing I want to happen is to have to buy one for about 10 grand next year or the year after that.

I do not expect the market for significant Wolverine books to calm down much, if at all. Key character. Key books. 39 years since publication.

According to GPAnalysis: CGC 9.8s average price over the last year is $508. Average price over the last 90 days is $804. Five of the last 10 sales (14 days) are $1100 or more. High sale of $1365. Newsstand prices are about $500 higher than these prices which are for the direct edition.

16 minutes ago, Tcla75 said:

I'm looking at the prices online and they seem to have jumped to crazy levels even from the prices they were a few months ago. The best price I have seen so far for a graded 9.8 white pages is $1200. Is this the worst time to buy or will I be even looking at paying way more in the next year or two. This is something I plan to keep for good so if I have to wait a year or two till the market settles I would be willing to do that but then the last thing I want to happen is to have to buy one for about 10 grand next year or the year after that.

We dont know. All we know is the current market value. I suggest you buy one on auction, like comic connect or comic link. Like that you are sure to buy "market value".

Are you buying the book or the grade? Sounds like you care more about the 9.8

Will it go down? Time will tell...one would think this collectibles boom will have to peak and dip at some point, as things do, especially if economies crash a bit in the next couple years. Tis the way. Nothing really rises and gains and grows steadily forever without experiencing some dips and doodles.

Suggestion? At that price, be patient and secure yourself 5-10 raw copies you think are worthy of the 9.8. This book had a HUGE print run (15 years ago I would find collections with dozens of copies) so chances are you can get your own 9.8 with a little bit of patience and work and, if you grade all the raws and sell the ones you get back that are not 9.8, you might even turn a profit or cover your costs! 

But nah....why do that when I can click, pay, ship, get. 

25 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

If you can afford to pay $1,200 now, then why wait?

Must it be a CGC 9.8? If so, why?

It would bug me years down the line if I passed on the chance for a 9.8 now especially when there is not a huge difference in price between a 9.6 and 9.8 now but years from now there could be if I wanted to upgrade.

I certainly would not buy this book now. This book reeks of one that will sell for whatever craziness it does not but once the market becomes flooded (and it will) and the economy dips (meaning collectibles take a hit too), this will fall back to a more reasonable amount. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

I certainly would not buy this book now. This book reeks of one that will sell for whatever craziness it does not but once the market becomes flooded (and it will) and the economy dips (meaning collectibles take a hit too), this will fall back to a more reasonable amount. 

Is there any reason it is going for so much now. There hasn't been a wolverine film for a few years now and it doesn't look like there will be one for a while yet.

Just now, Tcla75 said:

Is there any reason it is going for so much now. There hasn't been a wolverine film for a few years now and it doesn't look like there will be one for a while yet.

Marvel announced plans for Wolverine to be the first mutant introduced into the MCU. They plan on doing two separate origin types shows...one which will follow his time as Patch (hence why this ish is expensive) and the other looking into how he became Wolverine (a la the Weapon X storyline from the Marvel Comics Presents run). 

21 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Will it go down? Time will tell...one would think this collectibles boom will have to peak and dip at some point, as things do, especially if economies crash a bit in the next couple years. Tis the way. Nothing really rises and gains and grows steadily forever without experiencing some dips and doodles.

Suggestion? At that price, be patient and secure yourself 5-10 raw copies you think are worthy of the 9.8. This book had a HUGE print run (15 years ago I would find collections with dozens of copies) so chances are you can get your own 9.8 with a little bit of patience and work and, if you grade all the raws and sell the ones you get back that are not 9.8, you might even turn a profit or cover your costs! 

If I was going to get a non graded version what would be the best way to go about it. I live in Ireland so you will never see them pop up in real life so online would be my only option. Would it be possible to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 from pictures alone?

Edit: As an example there is this listing where the seller is saying its a 9.8/9.9 grade but it looks bent in the middle so I highly doubt it would be that grade. Would this be a 9.6 or can you not tell from the pictures?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-1-LIMITED-SERIES-9-8-9-9-NM-MINT-WHITE-PAGES-IST-SOLO-WOLVERINE/143175645955?hash=item2155eefb03:g:eO0AAOSw0dFcjlFZ

Edited by Tcla75

2 minutes ago, Tcla75 said:

If I was going to get a non graded version what would be the best way to go about it. I live in Ireland so you will never see them pop up in real life so online would be my only option. Would it be possible to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 from pictures alone?

Ebay would be what I use to buy if in Ireland. As for telling the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8, that comes with experience. Like I said, if you are willing to put in the time to really learn grading, flaws, what to look for, scanning images of existing 9.6 and 9.8s, you can find them online. 

Things to always examine up close (and ask for more pics if needed) are the spine, the corners and have the sellers take a pic of the book on an angle, to catch if there are any other imperfections like faint indents that are often missed from a straight overhead photo. Like I said, might take some time and patience but you can get there if you don't want to drop over a grand on a copy. 

36 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Time is also money though and that's a lot of buying, hoping and selling.

Also...Ebay selling fees are a menace!

Just now, lostboys said:

Time is also money though and that's a lot of buying, hoping and selling.

Also...Ebay selling fees are a menace!

Why would anyone ever sell those books on ebay? Plenty of other avenues to sell these days to avoid ebay. Only thing ebay is decent for is buying and even that is harder now with prices. You want deals and to maximize sales, there are plenty of other platforms that have emerged as better options. 

I would say track the sales price history on gpa analysis website (a pay service website that tracks graded sales on many websites)

then research media rumorS and news

look at your own preferences and situation 

decide for yourself, nobody but you knows your situation and values as well as you, and random conflicting advice from total strangers (with bias and agendas) may not be as helpful as spending time doing your own research 

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

Why would anyone ever sell those books on ebay? Plenty of other avenues to sell these days to avoid ebay. Only thing ebay is decent for is buying and even that is harder now with prices. You want deals and to maximize sales, there are plenty of other platforms that have emerged as better options. 

Other than here what other sites would be a good place to look?

I gave up selling on ebay in the past year and it has been glorious. Actually, I lied, I sold ONE book on ebay (some romance comic featuring Elvis that poeple pay for) so as to maximize my buying audience. Probably could have sold it by other means but that was the only sale on the bay I have made after almost using it exclusively. Between insane shipping charges and prices in general, I tend to avoid it now. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

I gave up selling on ebay in the past year and it has been glorious. Actually, I lied, I sold ONE book on ebay (some romance comic featuring Elvis that poeple pay for) so as to maximize my buying audience. Probably could have sold it by other means but that was the only sale on the bay I have made after almost using it exclusively. Between insane shipping charges and prices in general, I tend to avoid it now. 

I've had good success selling on Ebay. Books sell fast when priced right. They gotta stop raising the fees though. That's prob the main reason sellers are over charging right now. EBay takes what?...13%?

You almost gotta charge $700 for a $500 book

1 minute ago, lostboys said:

I've had good success selling on Ebay. Books sell fast when priced right. They gotta stop raising the fees though. That's prob the main reason sellers are over charging right now. EBay takes what?...13%?

You almost gotta charge $700 for a $500 book

If you can make it work, that is great. For me though, ebay is not worth it is all. And I still can list a book and sell within days or week so that is a quick enough turnaround for me :)