• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a fair market value for Wolverine Limited Series #1 cgc 9.8

80 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Tcla75 said:

It would bug me years down the line if I passed on the chance for a 9.8 now especially when there is not a huge difference in price between a 9.6 and 9.8 now but years from now there could be if I wanted to upgrade.

Are you simply number-chasing? The difference in grade between 9.8 and 9.6 is smaller than the difference in price.

10 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Are you simply number-chasing? The difference in grade between 9.8 and 9.6 is smaller than the difference in price.

I know quality difference is very small but this is something I plan on putting on display for the next 30 years and then when I die the kids can sell it off for whatever it is worth then. 30 40 years from now I'd imagine a 9.8 would be a nice little nest egg for them.

Just now, Tcla75 said:

I know quality difference is very small but this is something I plan on putting on display for the next 30 years and then when I die the kids can sell it off for whatever it is worth then. 30 40 years from now I'd imagine a 9.8 would be a nice little nest egg for them.

In 30-40 years it may be worth close to nothing. lol

53 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

The difference in grade between 9.8 and 9.6 is smaller than the difference in price.

That's a great quote! 

I'm going to steal that one and try to pass it off as my own! 

OP - remember, grading is a subjective opinion. There are many 9.6s that are actually in better shape than 9.8s, but are worth considerably less because one human made a different judgment call than another human. 

If this is your trophy examine the book carefully. Look at centering, spine tics, check the corners, PQ matters. None of those things influence the price as much as the assigned grade, but not all 9.8s are equal and 9.4s and 9.6s can actually look much better. 

I'm not saying not to get a 9.8, I'm saying get the right 9.8 to enjoy for many years. 

Edited by KCOComics

45 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That's a great quote! 

I'm going to steal that one and try to pass it off as my own! 

OP - remember, grading is a subjective opinion. There are many 9.6s that are actually in better shape than 9.8s, but are worth considerably less because one human made a different judgment call than another human. 

If this is your trophy examine the book carefully. Look at centering, spine tics, check the corners, PQ matters. None of those things influence the price as much as the assigned grade, but not all 9.8s are equal and 9.4s and 9.6s can actually look much better. 

I'm not saying not to get a 9.8, I'm saying get the right 9.8 to enjoy for many years. 

Agreed.  I don't have many 9.8s but of the ones I do, some look like 9.4s or even 9.2s.  If you're buying this to hold, I'd buy the copy that you feel is the right 9.8 copy.  Nothing worse than buying a 9.8 and on close inspection, you find it was overgraded significantly.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Marvel announced plans for Wolverine to be the first mutant introduced into the MCU. They plan on doing two separate origin types shows...one which will follow his time as Patch (hence why this ish is expensive) and the other looking into how he became Wolverine (a la the Weapon X storyline from the Marvel Comics Presents run). 

Has this actually been announced? I thought it was still in the rumor stages

I'd wait 5-6 months on this book.

Here's why:

1) I really think the run-up in all collectibles over the last 6-9 months (including not just comic books, but also baseball cards, basketball cards, video games, sneakers, etc.) has to do with the pandemic - rich people can't travel, can't go out to eat, so they've poured that vacation money into collectibles instead. This will subside a bit once society largely opens up this summer.

2) Wolverine # 1 is the #5 most-slabbed comic ever, with 17,700+ copies on the census, 3,850 of them in CGC 9.8 or above.

Yeah yeah demand...but this book was hoarded upon release and is the opposite of rare - even nearly 40 years later.

2 hours ago, Tcla75 said:

30 40 years from now I'd imagine a 9.8 would be a nice little nest egg for them.

I legitimately don't think it will. In the 7 decades of this hobby, the only comics that have maintained their value were the ones that also had an element of scarcity to counter any wavering demand. This comic does not have that. And 9.8 isn't even the highest available grade for this comic. If the nest egg is what you are doing it for, it's the wrong reason. Get it because you like it, no other reason makes more sense. 

22 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It has not been announced

Correct, sorry my original post should not say announced but rather rumoured...so these price hikes may all be for naught! Terrible time to try to buy this book IMO. Or rather, terrible time to use ebay to try to buy it. If one is in North America, this is a book you can find around for sure. Other parts of the world well I cant speak to that. 

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Correct, sorry my original post should not say announced but rather rumoured...so these price hikes may all be for naught! Terrible time to try to buy this book IMO. Or rather, terrible time to use ebay to try to buy it. If one is in North America, this is a book you can find around for sure. Other parts of the world well I cant speak to that. 

It's a very bad time to buy hot books, in my opinion

It's an iconic cover, the first Marvel mini-series dedicated to one character, has great creators and features the most popular character since Spider-Man. 

I have a half dozen, all of which I paid between $125 to 240 for CGC 9.8s

I'm saving two copies and selling the rest. I'm not sure if the price has peaked, but I'll "settle" for a grand a pop.

2 minutes ago, Vince G said:

It's a very bad time to buy hot books, in my opinion

Yup

Part of the problem with the market. A lot of "new" collectors (new to me meaning collectors who have started doing so within the last decade or so) just see an announcement or someone on social media platforms leak or rumour or speculate and BAM, they feel the need to have and buy. 

For example. Wandavision. Back in oh October of last year...was anyone a "fan" of White Vision? No

Show comes, that version appears and wham...a dollar or so book is being sold for hundreds of dollars. These "instant" fans and (forgive me new collectors) somewhat unsavvy speculators just act before they think. Not all, but enough that it has caused a LOT of spikes in books that really don't deserve it. At least not to the degree we are seeing. 

Record sales for classic books? Sure. Record sales for high grade books of key characters like Hulk 181? Sure. This kind of stuff? No. And hey, maybe I am wrong and kick myself in 10 years when West Coast Avengers 45 is a $1000 book. I will admit defeat. 

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It's an iconic cover, the first Marvel mini-series dedicated to one character, has great creators and features the most popular character since Spider-Man. 

I have a half dozen, all of which I paid between $125 to 240 for CGC 9.8s

I'm saving two copies and selling the rest. I'm not sure if the price has peaked, but I'll "settle" for a grand a pop.

Yes this book has some staying power. I don't know about being a $1000 9.8 book or more for a while but could definitely see it settling upper 700-800 range demand realizes the supply is there. Maybe not though, maybe a grand is what people say "screw it, I'll pay"

And that is the way. Today's collector can literally click on their phone, seach, click buy, pay and have it to them within a week. There seems to be little patience with collecting nowadays, at least amongst a large bunch of collectors/sellers. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

Part of the problem with the market. A lot of "new" collectors (new to me meaning collectors who have started doing so within the last decade or so) just see an announcement or someone on social media platforms leak or rumour or speculate and BAM, they feel the need to have and buy. 

For example. Wandavision. Back in oh October of last year...was anyone a "fan" of White Vision? No

Show comes, that version appears and wham...a dollar or so book is being sold for hundreds of dollars. These "instant" fans and (forgive me new collectors) somewhat unsavvy speculators just act before they think. Not all, but enough that it has caused a LOT of spikes in books that really don't deserve it. At least not to the degree we are seeing. 

Record sales for classic books? Sure. Record sales for high grade books of key characters like Hulk 181? Sure. This kind of stuff? No. And hey, maybe I am wrong and kick myself in 10 years when West Coast Avengers 45 is a $1000 book. I will admit defeat. 

Side note.  I threw 17 long boxes of what had been considered 'junk' from the mid-late 80s into a recycling center since I didn't have the space to store it, and couldn't get $0.15 a book from anyone back in 2014.  I kept the keys but WCA 45 and the ilk, gone.  They were all overproduced and because there were so many copies out there, you couldn't give em away.