• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, the blob said:

I think voldemort has an interesting idea with their "raw" product... if they could have a somewhat more solid sleeve and a more tamper proof/evident sealing method... putting aside crazy prices for 9.8s, I think a lot of people just want to feel more comfortable that something is actually a NM or NM- and not an "ebay" NM...so, basically, a 6.5-7.5 or a SA book is actually a VF...

Or, if they are going to collect, rather than speculate for the year or two that prices are running up, they can learn how to grade properly and not waste the $$$

I am fine with the price changes, and would suggest to CGC that they raise the pre-screen price to 75% of the cost of grading. The reason is simple - less pre-screen submissions = more time spent on grading books by the graders. Doing that will cut down on the number of books being submitted by speculators that are not willing to take the time to learn how to grade on their own. 

Just now, kimik said:

Or, if they are going to collect, rather than speculate for the year or two that prices are running up, they can learn how to grade properly and not waste the $$$

I am talking about buyers feeling comfortable.. if buyers feel comfortable, sellers have more liquidity.. in theory. This is a big reason why CGC is in business. 

why does an MCS VF sell at the top end for VFs? Because folks feel comfortable with the grade.

17 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am fine with the price changes, and would suggest to CGC that they raise the pre-screen price to 75% of the cost of grading. The reason is simple - less pre-screen submissions = more time spent on grading books by the graders. Doing that will cut down on the number of books being submitted by speculators that are not willing to take the time to learn how to grade on their own. 

is there any evidence that the backlog of submissions is newbies who have come into the hobby in the last year or is is the heroic jsilverjanets of the world making a ton of submissions to keep up with the demand from these speculators? I don't think too many folks popping in to flip books are going to wait 6 months to get books back or risk the money on fees when they are clueless as to grading.

Edited by the blob

Just now, the blob said:

I am talking about buyers feeling comfortable.. if buyers feel comfortable, sellers have more liquidity.. in theory. This is a big reason why CGC is in business. 

why does an MCS VF sell at the top end for VFs? Because folks feel comfortable with the grade.

Agreed, and that is why collectors and speculators buy from MCS, Bob/High Grade, and other dealers with the best reputations. It is not a difficult process to grade strict and accurate. I have found that many collectors and dealers have two different grading standards - one for buying and a much looser one for selling......................

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

many of the "speculators" are half the folks on these boards who have been here 15 or 20 years

No. We are just a tiny portion of it. Right now there are so many speculators that jumped into the hobby the past year buying hot moderns and cover variants to slab and flip. Go to any LCS on a Wednesday when there is a hot book out and you will see the new speculators waiting in line at the open. Or they sit there and beg the store owners to lower their prices on back issues since they have to pay for eBay and pressing and slabbing fees. It is hilarious and pathetic. 

Here is an example. Two weeks ago a local speculator contacted me about an Alien 1 1:500 variant on ebay that I had listed raw at NM-. He placed a stupidly high bid then wanted to know if it was 9.6 worthy because he wants a 9.6/9.8. I said the grade is as stated. Then he asked me to cancel his bid. I told him no, I would not since the grade is stated and the scans clearly show that. He got all pissy and said he would tell his other friends not to buy from me. I said fine, I would not cancel the bid, and reported him. I know that he and his friends will be gone from the hobby within a year or so when this run up stops, and I will still be here. 

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

No. We are just a tiny portion of it. Right now there are so many speculators that jumped into the hobby the past year buying hot moderns and cover variants to slab and flip. Go to any LCS on a Wednesday when there is a hot book out and you will see the new speculators waiting in line at the open. Or they sit there and beg the store owners to lower their prices on back issues since they have to pay for eBay and pressing and slabbing fees. It is hilarious and pathetic. 

Here is an example. Two weeks ago a local speculator contacted me about an Alien 1 1:500 variant on ebay that I had listed raw at NM-. He placed a stupidly high bid then wanted to know if it was 9.6 worthy because he wants a 9.6/9.8. I said the grade is as stated. Then he asked me to cancel his bid. I told him no, I would not since the grade is stated and the scans clearly show that. He got all pissy and said he would tell his other friends not to buy from me. I said fine, I would not cancel the bid, and reported him. I know that he and his friends will be gone from the hobby within a year or so when this run up stops, and I will still be here. 

I'm not really getting bidders like that much. I actually almost had the same scenario...I think i listed it as 9.2-9.4 and was asked if it could be a 9.6... and I said I didn't think it could be in light of my grade ... but the exchange was very polite and I think they bought it anyway. In this market how can these quick flippers stand waiting 3 or 4 months? 

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

I believe if folks acted like that in the USA many store owners would threaten to exercise their Second Amendment rights on them. 

4 hours ago, the blob said:

I think voldemort has an interesting idea with their "raw" product... if they could have a somewhat more solid sleeve and a more tamper proof/evident sealing method... putting aside crazy prices for 9.8s, I think a lot of people just want to feel more comfortable that something is actually a NM or NM- and not an "ebay" NM...so, basically, a 6.5-7.5 or a SA book is actually a VF...

That was my idea. I ran it past someone who works at a LCS and he pointed out that the labels would get scuffed and worn. He also said that if there is some way to get into the sleeve easily, they will find a way to do it. Then fraud begins. What I would like to see is it becomes an option. I'd much rather have my raw books in a durable plastic sleeve with a grading label on the back bottom of the sleeve sealing it shut. It may not work so well with people who buy and sell a lot. I can see labels getting eroded. But I'm keeping my books so mail erosion isn't a problem.

They already do this with oversized Treasury editions. I love it!

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

I'm not really getting bidders like that much. I actually almost had the same scenario...I think i listed it as 9.2-9.4 and was asked if it could be a 9.6... and I said I didn't think it could be in light of my grade ... but the exchange was very polite and I think they bought it anyway. In this market how can these quick flippers stand waiting 3 or 4 months? 

They press the books themselves and send them in FT so it is only 6 weeks or so turnaround time. Or, they do straight subs without a pre-screen and then complain about the LCS or local seller when the books do not come back 9.8. lol

Edited by kimik

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

I believe if folks acted like that in the USA many store owners would threaten to exercise their Second Amendment rights on them. 

Far as most Americans know, there are only two Amendments to the Constitution: One to run their mouths and the second to drop a pill into someone that disagrees with them.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

That was my idea. I ran it past someone who works at a LCS and he pointed out that the labels would get scuffed and worn. He also said that if there is some way to get into the sleeve easily, they will find a way to do it. Then fraud begins. What I would like to see is it becomes an option. I'd much rather have my raw books in a durable plastic sleeve with a grading label on the back bottom of the sleeve sealing it shut. It may not work so well with people who buy and sell a lot. I can see labels getting eroded. But I'm keeping my books so mail erosion isn't a problem.

They already do this with oversized Treasury editions. I love it!

OK, I think the point of this is more about your under $150 type books in NM or less, more expensive stuff, 9.6 and 9.8 grades that make grades explode, i think is more for genuine encapsulation. voldy does some sort of resto check, which is nice. sure, there can still be fraud.

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

They press the books themselves and send them in FT so it is only 6 weeks or so turnaround time. Or, they do straight subs without a pre-screen and then complain about the LCS or local seller when the books do not come back 9.8. lol

how does someone who just entered the hobby know how to properly press a book? sounds like a good way to turn  9.6 into a 9.2

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

It sounds like Canadians have turned into terrible people during the pandemic. I can only hope that $4 a gallon gas puts them in a better mood. (Although prices around here went down a little last week.)

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

OK, I think the point of this is more about your under $150 type books in NM or less, more expensive stuff, 9.6 and 9.8 grades that make grades explode, i think is more for genuine encapsulation. voldy does some sort of resto check, which is nice. sure, there can still be fraud.

MY point was I would be happy with the option to slab or sleeve regardless of the grade. For my personal books 9.8 or not, the sturdy sleeve would be fine with a thicker backer board. Too much damage happening now with slabbing. Too many parts to deal with. Too many people handling the books.

Edited by Randall Ries

31 minutes ago, the blob said:

It sounds like Canadians have turned into terrible people during the pandemic. I can only hope that $4 a gallon gas puts them in a better mood. (Although prices around here went down a little last week.)

What's a gallon?

On 4/21/2021 at 2:39 PM, Rhymenoceros said:

The one saving grace for me is that your CURRENT benefits won't change until your membership renews. Mine just renewed in February so at least I get the discount for a little longer 

I upgraded from Associate to Premium at the beginning of April, so yes, it's good that the current benefits will remain for one year. Probably will return to Associate next year though...

2 hours ago, kimik said:

...I have found that many collectors and dealers have two different grading standards - one for buying and a much looser one for selling...

This is one of the most annoying things I've encountered in the world of collectibles.  The particular behavior that infuriates me is this:

Person A has an item for sale.  Person B points out every conceivable thing they can to drive the price down.  They'll even "haggle" about the grade of the item (that's not a NM- book...it's VF+ at best!!!) they're trying to buy.

A week later, person B has the item, lists it for sale, and describes it as NM.

Person B is a :censored: