• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic collectors who have had serious, hobby-related friction with a significant other, how did it resolve?
2 2

289 posts in this topic

She knows comics mean a lot to me. She isn't interested but she will ask to see a new purchase when it comes in the mail. Only friction is when the CC bill shows up.

I have a serious music jones as well. THAT can get pretty loud. I collect lossless digital files mostly so there isn't a lot of clutter. I have had at one point over 5,000 cassette tapes and I never bought tons of CD's. The ones I have are promo's or rare EP's. But the digital folders. I love music more than comics and so that's where the bulk of my expenditures lie. That has been a problem with her for years. Not the music but the cost. I remind her that I don't go to bars, or bowling with "the boys", I don't smoke weed (anymore) and I'm not addicted to heroin. Buuuut she doesn't care about all that.

I'm pretty lucky to have met a gal who is into comics, primarily older Archie and old Romance Comics. She just spent a lot of money on a Ramona Fradon commission and is considering doing a cosplay of the Golden Age character Nelvana. Of course, she may kick me out at any time but I still got her to pay for my Milgrom commission. 

17 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

yikes!

my ex from long ago wanted to teach me a "lesson" about what is important and she told me she threw away my comic collection. I went to the room they were supposed to be in and they were no longer there.

I knew we were done and returned the "lesson" and threw out all of her shoes. She had almost 50 pairs.

I will be honest...even to this day 25 years later I never thought she would have been capable of it. Whether she really did throw them out or had just hid them I still couldnt be with someone like that.

Edited by Artboy99

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

yikes!

my ex from long ago wanted to teach me a "lesson" about what is important and she told me she threw away my comic collection. I went to the room they were supposed to be in and they were no longer there.

I knew we were done and returned the "lesson" and threw out all of her shoes. She had almost 50 pairs.

I will be honest...even to this day 25 years later I never thought she would have been capable of it. Whether she really did throw them out or had just hid them I still couldnt be with someone like that.

I love imagining her finding out all her shoes were gone!
Thats right 2 can play at this game!

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

yikes!

She probably still has them dude.  Probably has a press in her basement and is getting them graded and flipping them for serious moooooooola.  And she's using that money to buy more and more shoes.

1.68 million pounds......shoes.thumb.jpg.fbba4b2ddf91febc1f8e79b03e6dcc56.jpg

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

She probably still has them dude.  Probably has a press in her basement and is getting them graded and flipping them for serious moooooooola.  And she's using that money to buy more and more shoes.

1.68 million pounds......shoes.thumb.jpg.fbba4b2ddf91febc1f8e79b03e6dcc56.jpg

she didnt get them all, I had a small pile of books in the drawer of my desk.

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

yikes!

I am sorry to hear that. Not the shoes part. That was awesome. Some one lied to us when we were wee. Boys were told that we were "Snakes and snails an puppy dog tails". Girls were allegedly "Sugar and spice and everything nice". Too many people still believe that.

My 1st wife from nearly 40 years ago and I were arguing and she suddenly was quiet, turned and walked down the hall. I was like "Yeah darn tootin'." A second later I was like "Ah NUTS." Ran down the hall and she had my Bat 9. Looked me right in the face and delivered an inch of tear right through the spine.

Grabbed her large jewelry box, ran back down the hall with it and emptied its entire contents into the toilet. The Flush Heard 'Round The World.

And it's strange, you know? I have told that exact same story THE EXACT SAME STORY and have been told "That wasn't very nice of you, was it?" HAH? Did you tune in to our episode already in progress?

Women are capable of anything. Believe me I know. We just don't hear about it because big, mean men stories are more fun and interesting to get judgy over.