• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Masterworks Editor Looking for Byrne FANTASTIC FOUR #256-257 and ANNUAL #17 Original Art Scans

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Cory Sedlmeier, the editor of the Marvel Masterworks, here. I'm working on our next FF volume featuring the John Byrne run and I'm on the hunt for original art scans for FANTASTIC FOUR #256-257 and ANNUAL #17. (I'm also looking for #258-260 originals, but those are a lesser priority.)

As it's well known, the original reproduction of these issues wasn't fantastic. Beginning with issue #255, for a handful of issues Byrne worked at a larger twice-up size, which had to be photostatted down because they were too large for the engravers to reproduce from. Then the engravers shot the final print film from the stats. That duplication process was not kind. Original art will be the key that allow us to give these Byrne classics the presentation they deserve.

What I'm looking for are 600dpi color scans at full-size saved in .TIF format. You can reach me at csedlmeier@marvel.com. My deadline is May 21st. Thanks and please feel free to share this call for original art on other forums!

Best,

Cory

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

I don't think the Heritage scans are high enough quality for print. Worth a shot tho!

Hopefully they have higher quality archival scans.

If not, maybe they can get them in touch with the new owner.

You're correct. Low-res web images are not high-resolution for print.

The complete FF #256 was actually through Profiles in History, not Heritage. I was in touch with Profiles at the time, but they never followed through with scans after initially saying they'd be happy to do so.

Heritage has always been a great help—they provided scans of the complete #255 and are working on #254 now.

I know Glen Brunswick (panel page art) and Bechara Maalouf (nostalgic investments) had some of the pages for #256. Mostly Glen, I believe, but I’m not positive. I had one page from that issue before I sold it to get a page from 250. I’m sure my camera phone pic isn’t high enough quality, though. Sorry. Maybe they still have scans? Maybe they could also track down a few pages they sold? Good luck!

3 hours ago, Cory Sedlmeier said:

You're correct. Low-res web images are not high-resolution for print.

The complete FF #256 was actually through Profiles in History, not Heritage. I was in touch with Profiles at the time, but they never followed through with scans after initially saying they'd be happy to do so.

Heritage has always been a great help—they provided scans of the complete #255 and are working on #254 now.

Maddalena works for Heritage now so maybe he still has access to ...something.

Edited by pemart1966

15 hours ago, Marwai said:

Just to be clear since it was a topic on here before, nothing is to be expected in return for these scans correct?

I think it’s customary to get a comp copy of the book, at least that’s what IDW does with their Artists Editions.

I’d be interested to hear what Marvel policy is in regards to comp copies. Is it one comp book per scan provided, one comp per person regardless of the number of scans, or is it nothing at all?