• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian National Expo Draws a record 36,753 fans! Thank you!

89 posts in this topic

Thank You to all 36,753 of you who attended the 2005 Canadian National Expo! You received the highest compliments from all of our guests, who raved about what a great weekend they had! The retailers and exhibitors also pass on their appreciation to the fans, and all will be returning in 2006.

Be sure to mark us on your calendars in the New Year, the Expo will take place on Labour Day Weekend, September 1-3 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, in the bigger and newer South Building. We invite you to visit our web site again to see a great gallery of pictures from 2005:

http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConTorontoV2/CC_Main.asp

Please join us for future events, which include:

Toronto Comicon

November 13, 2005

Guests: SUPERSTAR DC artist Chris Batista (artist of JLA)

Metro Toronto Convention Centre North Building

255 Front St. West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Admission: Only $5!

Toronto AnimeCon

December 4, 2005

Guests: TBA

Admission: Only $10!

Toronto Comicon

February 5th, 2006

Guests: SUPERSTAR DC artist Ethan Van Sciver (artist of Green Lantern)

Toronto AnimeCon (March Break)

March 11-12 2006

Guests: TBA

Admission: Only $20!

And as another “Thank you”, we will be returning with the Toronto Comicon Fan Appreciation Event in the Spring of 2006! We will be bringing in a bunch of great guests with over 25 000 square feet of show featuring 150 retailers and exhibitors! All for FREE Admission! Details will be on the web site in the New Year.

Thanks again for a great year!

HSM

Toronto Comicon

November 13, 2005

What's this?

This is a smaller convention run by the same people who run the Canadian National Comic Book Expo.

www.hobbystar.com

Isnt calling it the Toronto Comicon infringing on the trademark of the allready existing Toronto Comicon?

It's pointless to argue with them. Just wait for them to announce their free show (which actually costs $10 for admission) the week before Kev's show. And then watch them deny that they did it on purpose. It's really fun to see how they treat the average fan. Christo_pull_hair.gif

AlexH,

It seems that you think you know everything...

Im curious to hear from you about how we treat the average fan...

Based on our attendance #'s, which have steadily risen over the past 11 years, it seems we must be doing a great job of providing the fans with what they want...

Im looking forward to hearing from you...

HSM

Hi Foolkiller,

We havent announced the Fan Appreciation show for the Spring of 2006, but Im not sure how it affects the fans in respect to the date of this event... If anything, it would be great for them... How many times does a fan get to go to a fairly large show for FREE? Last year's show was a HUGE hit with the fans and the exhibitors...

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Cheers...

hsm

Well, I'll tell you my take as a fan.

I'm planning on going to Peter's show because, well, he went out and got Stan Lee... so... it's a no brainer.

Now, just judging from here, there's a limited number of dollars for dealers, so when you put a show into the same area, the dollars go bye bye for them. Plus, people have a tough time making a show back to back weeks or within two weeks.

I'm not going to Wiz World Boston -- too much travelling and I'm "comic'd out" from Baltimore -- and they're many states apart! Look, here's the bottom line --

Dealers suffer with shows that close together because of the number of dollars, fans get burned out -- why put the show so close together when it can only hurt both of them? Instead, why not put the show either a month before or a month after. or better yet, make yours a late summer show --

Anyway, I just don't see the point in the scheduling. It doesn't help anyone, and quite honestly, it does not help the fans. I think it's always better when there's a little space between shows, because it prevents burn out.

Foolkiller,

I appreciate your thoughts.,.I understand that it is hard for people to hit shows back to back for one reason or another.

My job is for my exhibitors to make money, and more importantly, for the fans to have a great time and to give them what they want... Our last fan appreciation show did not get hurt at all and we expect the next one to be bigger and better.. Our show was a HUGE hit amongst dealers and fans... A late summer show, is impossible, as we are producing the Canadian National Comic Book Expo...

The fan appreciation show is free and is meant to promote comics and reward the fans for supporting us year after year... Im not going to lie to you, there is a competition aspect to any decisions we make... We believe that as long as we are providing for the fans and dealers, we are doing our job...

I hope this gives you a better understanding...

Cheers...

hsm

The truth is this guy doesn't like the fact that peter also has a show so he is trying to put him out of business. Fact is that will be hard to do because pete and kev are smart tactful businessmen who treat all of there customers with respect. This guy doesn't care about the fans he cares about the money sure he puts on a good show with lots of star power but fact remains he doesn't care about the fans. This time around he had Clive Barker and Frank Ouitely 2 creators I really respect and appreciate. I couldn't get my books Signature Series'd because he doesn't support paradise or CGC, so books signed at his show can't recieve the yellow label. If he cared he would resolve this issue and try to smooth things out with CGC and Paradise So fans could get there books signature series'd at his show.

I have a barker autograph that can't be authenticated because of him. it's still clive but until he changes his rules and business I think people should go to pete's show and boycott the expo.

thecollector,

You think we dont care about the fans? Well YOU ARE WRONG! Yes, money is a factor, as it is with any business including all our competition, the company you may work for, the store you buy groceries from, etc...

You forgot one thing though, if we didnt care about our fans, why do more and more of them come every year? We HAVE to care for our fans, since they pay our salaries!!! If we dont make our fans happy, they will not pay for our product that we have to offer... We brought Clive Barker and Frank Quitely, because you the fans wanted to see them, so we listened and delivered.

In respect to CGC, it was their decision not to support this event due to politics. They are more than welcome to attend, and we would pull out the red carpet for them...

Just because we dont have the aforementioned companies, does not translate to we dont care. We love the fans, We love this hobby and we will always provide what the fans want.

You saw Clive sign the book, which is the BEST authentication available now and forever...

hsm

As you know, CGC decided not to support a promoter that uses aggressive counter-programming tactics against an event they do support - one run by some of their strongest supporters and friends (that is, the Paradise Comicon run by Peter and myself). If supporting your friends and partners by not supporting an aggressor is politics, then they are the best politicians I know.

Yes, I know you don't need CGC at your event, and that you don't care. Some of your exhibitor partners do though, but your need to destroy our convention outweighed their interests this summer. They could be satisfied in the future but for a simple guarantee that you would not repeat such aggressive actions as seen this last spring.

If this is Aman posting, then you know that we (CGC and I) tried very hard to work out a peaceful situation with you over the summer, and since I've gotten to know you better I think you are good guy one-on-one, but my position has always been that a peaceful situation depended, and still depends, on when you schedule this next Fan Appreciation event. You schedule it the week before the Paradise Comicon again in 2006 and it's obvious to everyone you don't want a peaceful situation. That YOU are trying to fight some kind of one-sided war with Paradise.

All that we are doing is putting on the best comic book-centric fan and collector show we can at the end of April. Obviously we are doing something right to have earned the loyalty and support of many fans, professionals and exhibitors. We too have grown each year. There's a reason why the fans have legitimately voted us as their favourite comic book convention outside of the USA for the last two years running over at www.comicbookconventions.com

I personally don't see your events as competition to ours, as we are not putting on a multi-media pop culture convention. I support all sorts of comic book related events in and outside of Toronto. I even went to the Expo this year to check it out (thank you for the pass) and the entire time I was there I thought wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to worry about what the other guy was going to try to do next to put me out of business.

And no, at least for some of us it isn't about money. If it was I would have stopped long ago.

I have told you personally that this (counter-programming) is an unhealthy approach to dealing with competition and I think this obsession you people have with hurting Peter Dixon for what I gather to be not showing you the proper respect will ultimately hurt you more than anyone in the long run (if you let it).

You don't seem to appreciate that, as Brian suggested, we are all working with the same fans, exhibitors and professionals. Can you not see that taking aggressive steps against us is also taking aggressive steps against the exhibitors and professionals (I don't expect fans to care until things stop) who also support you? That's my reasonable plea: Don't tarnish the Expo by continuing a one-sided war with Paradise and, by association, our partners, most of whom are also your partners.

We also care about our exhibitors, we want them to make money. Many of them are close friends and business associates and we are all part of the same community. Peter is a dealer and understands what dealers need and want in a comic book show - despite what you tell people his needs do not come first. I am a fan and I know what I like and appreciate as a fan at a comic book show (I don't care about Sci-fi, Anime, Horror and Gaming which is why these things are not a part of our event). I've also been an Artist's Alley small-publisher/creator and I know what that is like and, hopefully, what they need.

Despite what you try to do the Paradise Comicon will happen. It will be well attended, with growth. We are nearly sold out of dealer tables and should sell out by the end of the Fall. People will have a good time, money will be spent, books and collectibles will be bought and traded, and the fans will get to meet some great professionals, find some great books and enjoy some excellent programming, just as they have done in 2003, 2004 and 2005. Life will go on and afterwards and we'll start work on 2007.

If Fan Appreciation is scheduled for the end of March or at the end of May I think WE can all get along professionally and move forward doing our jobs - promoting comics to the benefit of all, fans and exhibitors alike - and remove some of the "politics" from our lives.

I've stated my case to you personally Aman. Now I'm doing it again in this public forum.

I anxiously await the new year's announcement of the date of your 2006 Fan Appreciation Day to see what the future will hold for all of us.

Good night.

Kevin,

Good to hear from you... That wasnt the only other reason why CGC did not appear at the Canadian National Comic Book Expo. You know the other reason, which I will not disclose publicly, as we dont publicily bash other events...

We may not need CGC there, but it would be good to have them at the Expo...

Kevin, you know I tried very hard to resolve things with you, and I think WE were doing a good job to the point that we almost had a deal, until your partner came in the way squashed any chance of resolution...

Kevin, you know my point of view very well, as I have been upfront and honest with you in our numerous meetings... In ANY deal, both sides need to give, until that happens, no type of deal can be made.

During our last meeting, we discussed the potential dates of the Fan Appreciation Event, though nothing has been confirmed yet.

In respect to competition, you know EXACTLY where I stand with that, and to the best of my knowledge, you understand our point of view... Though we our a multi media event, the comic end of things is still #1 in our event! We are still North America's 3rd largest, and Canada's largest.

"And no, at least for some of us it isn't about money." Kevin you may believe in this, but your partner is in this to try and make money as it is his company...

We dont care for your partner very much, for reasons you know very well. Bottom line is that we are a business trying to make a living, and trying to provide for the Canadian hobby. We will continue to put the best events on and give the fans what they want.

We are very concerned about how the exhibitors do at our event, and as long as they continue to do well at our events, we are satisfied... This goes for the professionals and fans too...

I understand that you will continue to do your show, and I wish you the best of luck with it. We will continue on providing quality events for this hobby. We are here for the professionals, dealers, and ultimately the fans.

To anyone else reading this post, I wish I could elaborate more and give you the facts that you are unaware of, but I think it is best that this be kept between the people that are involved...

Any questions? feel free to post, and I WILL respond to the best of my abilities...

regards

hsm

I don't think wanting money is bad. For example, just SAY Peter and Kevin were strictly into it for the money, that doesn't matter. They got amazing guests and they'll deliver a fantastic show, and in the long run - the fans benefit. So as I see it if you're into it strictly for the money, that's fine.

Anyways..I was still wondering what this is:

Toronto Comicon

November 13, 2005

How small is it? Is Chris Batista the ONLY guest? What events will be going on, or what will be happening? Basically..what is there to DO there. Thanks..

Kyle

There are many things in your reply that I could debate, but we have discussed these things many times in person (and online).

Yes, you know my position and I know yours. I don't need to bash your events, they don't matter to me. I only take issue with your previous public action of scheduling counter-programming against our own event (singular) - and I've stated this to you publicly and privately.

Based on your replies to fans on this forum I believe that you intend to do it again, whether you have chosen the date or not.

I thank you for making your position much more clearer to members of this forum. If you do decide to counter-program in 2006 rest assured that it will be discussed in public forums such as this one.

Now for some reason you think that Paradise has a sinister agenda of preventing CGC from you and your exhibitors. As Peter and I both told you in San Diego we have no control over what CGC's ultimate business decisions are. They clearly stated their position this summer to you in person that if you could not resolve your the issue that Paradise has with you - which I clearly stated to you (in front of Harshen Patel) was the counter-programming of Fan Appreciation events the week before our spring event - then they weren't interested in doing anything with you.

Whether or not we capitulated to your suggested revisions to our event is meaningless here. I don't tell you how to run your events or when to do them, but I was willing to consider your suggestions but ultimately they could not have been accepted because they would cause more harm to the convention than dealing with the existance of your counter-programmed events. We have no interest in counter-progamming against your events as we see that they have merit, I realize that this opinion is not a reciprocated. You see no merit in the Paradise Comicon, that it makes your work more difficult and that it is an obstacle to be eliminated. Sometimes we make our own problems.

As I said before, all it would have taken (and still will take) is a guarantee that you will not counter-program and there will be no problem here.

As always, the decision is in your hands.

Yes, I did get an autograph. But it isn't signature series. That isn't because of CGC it is because of you. If you don't like Peter then deal with Kevin. They are both great individuals. If you worked together there could be 2 excellent, very well promoted shows in toronto. And if you care about fans like you claim you would want this. Unfortunately it is for the hobby and not the money. I don't care who you are and how much you make, comics is a hard industry to make money in. So unless you love it you usually aren't in the bussiness.